Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 19-07-2012

Default Balancing Diffs on a Cat SX

I have a Cat sx which I bought second hand, so I don't know the history etc. I decided recently to check the diff tightness and the front is a lot smoother that the rear. Firstly is that right as I don't really have a grasp of diff set ups?

Secondly I tried turning the allen screws in the dog bone cups with a view to balancing them up. However, doing it like this had no effect as any more slack on the rear and it just slips, and the front won't go any tighter. Am I doing it right?

Many thanks,
Jason.
Old 19-07-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

first of all your diff balance depands on what you drive on and how you drive,
matty my son preferes front tighter than the back, but as i say personnel pref really, and as for how to adjust down load the online manual, CLICKY theres a locking grub screw to stop the diff screw undoing
http://www.racing-cars.com/images/Te...-sx_page_8.jpg
Old 19-07-2012

Appreciate that. I'll get reading and take it from there.
Old 27-07-2012

Do you have the manual? If yes, I would completely open the diff and maintain it.

I personally run he front more "closed" than the rear to prevent oversteer.
Old 27-07-2012

Hi Juergen. I do have the manual and ended up doing just that...completely stripped it down and rebuilt it. Thanks to some of the guys at my club (and you guys of course) my knowledge of how diffs work is improving and my cars handling is much improved.
Old 27-07-2012

We can discuss for lightyears, how to rebuild the diffs, how to set them up. Additionally we can spend many nights on debating, when parts need to be replaced.

With the current models I made the following experiences:
- the standard diff balls work pretty good. To be honest: I am still using the same ones, for 2 yrs now
- u3140: diff washers: I replaced them after some 12 races and turned the inside out after 6 races
- I opened the diff after 2 races, and cleaned everything, using new diff lubricate (in my case Tamiya ball diff grease
- I never had to replace the Diff screw bearing. (in the 90th, this was a bad, breakable part)
Old 28-07-2012

I bought my Cat sx second hand, so it's due a good overhaul. I'll strip the front diff next and clean that, hopefully I won't find any gremlins. I suppose maintenance and set up is 50% of the fun anyway... As long as the wallet doesn't take too much of a beating.