Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-06-2014

Lightbulb Containers

Here is what I have done.
Stack them. Weld together. Then no noise.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbd38fgyyt...316_171946.jpg
Old 28-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
The problems are:
1) There is no roof on the rostrum
2) There is no wheelchair access
3) The noise from people walking on the rostrum is quite unbelievably loud in race control
4) Its fugly.
Kidderminster use a shipping container with a wooden structure on top, extending the standing area and providing a roof. The wooden floor must reduce the noise from above as I've never noticed a noise problem inside the container. Sliding metal shutters cover the windows when not in use.

No wheelchair access as it stands but a ramp or lift would fix that. The blue tarpaulins are a temporary addition for the Nationals to reduce wind for the drivers, they are not normally there.

Old 07-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAl View Post
Any club who builds a new rostrum without making it fully accessible is leaving themselves wide open to a claim for disability discrimination as well as excluding a group of potential members.
I'm concerned that this post will initiate unnecessary panic among club officials.

The law states that organisations need to ensure that disabled people can make use of a service that is provided, it doesn't state that they need to be able to make use of the service in the exact same way. The service in this case is being able to drive an RC car around a track.

Making a high-level rostrum fully accessible is not realistic for most clubs. However having a ramp and small, lower platform available to make sure that a disabled racer could have an unobstructed view of the track would surely be sufficient. Many tracks already have a natural "vantage point" that could be used.

I've raced at a number of clubs with disabled racers and I've never seen anything less than the maximum commitment from club officials to help the disabled racers take part, legislation or no legislation.
Old 07-07-2014

I'm sorry sosidge but that's simply not accurate.

I completely understand the difficulties that clubs face, I'm part of the committee of my local club myself.

In my experience the RC community is fantastic. The race organisers will usually do anything and everything that they can within the confines of what they have available to them and I am always appreciative of the efforts people make.

However, the legislation states that it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of disability, this includes the standard of service which is provided to the disabled person or the manner in which it is provided.

In the case of an RC venue the question to be asked would be "If a rostrum is necessary why is it not necessary for everybody ?"

The legal test would always be one of "What is reasonable?"

For many venues such adaptations may well be considered unreasonable. However if any club is building new rostrum facilities then they would be as negligent to ignore discrimination legislation as they would health & safety.

If anyone would like any advice or input from a wheelchair user I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
Old 07-07-2014

Default Agree.

Redal,

I started this thread to see what is cosidered to be the best rostrum, but with the key theme being it needed to be one which in the IDEAL world, we all would envisage.
You are quite right to mention the disabled access issue and whilst I am not a disabled driver, I am more than aware of the needs of such a racer and wish to make clear that on any new rostrum built at bury it will be one that provides the SAME vantage point for all competitors.
I would do this as it is only right, proper and fair to do so!

Darren

Bury Metro Member http://www.bmrcc.co.uk/

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Still have my old Team Associated C4.1, Team C Evo and Yokomo Bmax4 just in case my lads take up the sport someday.
Old 08-07-2014

Fair play to you for taking that approach Darren. If you'd like any advice please feel free to get in touch.