Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 20-04-2007
Mad Member

Default Bank charges !!!

Has anyone had any luck claiming these back????
Received letter from my old bank today refunding me £2114 nice
Old 20-04-2007
Mad Member

Currently in the process of doing the same with my charges from a few years back. Looking for about £1700 back

How long did it take to get the offer back??

Which bank are you with??
Old 20-04-2007
Mad Member

Someone else who races received letter from woolwich refunding 2300 last friday mine arrived today. the 8 weeks would have been up on 15th may. If you can work that out. Nationwide was my old bank.
Old 20-04-2007
Administrator

Lad at work was on this ages ago and got over 3 grand back - not looked into it myself tho I don't think I ever had enough money for them to take.
Old 20-04-2007
oOple Contributor

Send a message via MSN to rcracer

just reclaimed £1580
Old 21-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

christ, how do you guys manage to rack up so much charges on your accounts?
Old 21-04-2007
Mad Member

thats what i was thinking!!

B4FT-NOSRAM EVO-KO2123-SPASHETT 10x2

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o...-rugby-new.gif
Old 21-04-2007

Wine, women and song in spenners case
Old 21-04-2007
Mad Member

Coming back to racing!!!! Something has to give.
Over 6 years of bank charges thats not too bad, glad the bank have added to my racing fund.
Old 21-04-2007

Ive wanted to do with for a while but not really sure what to write to them. Any suggestions? I found a letter on the money program website but it seems a bit harsh in which i would be threatening legal action if they dont sort it out. Its only gonna be about 400 quid but to me thats like a whole months drinking money

Cheers for any advice

Danny
Old 21-04-2007

Send a message via MSN to b4rs

i saw a decent book in waterstones, called 400 letters, it basically gives you a guide to writing a letter for any problem or complaint. but surely you want to get this 400 quid, it is yours, and any amount of money taken whether £40 or £400 is still stealing, so legal action is the way to go in any case.

[img=http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4506/userbartemp.jpg]

"mardaves are the future of sport electric!"
"yea, if youve only got 30 pound to spend..."

Old 21-04-2007
Mad Member

Danny...

I got my letters from the WHICH web-site, there's a link on the right of the main homepage.

Just got all my statements from the last six years and totalled all the charges. If you don't have your statements you can request them for a nominal fee of about £10.

Then WHICH site recommends writing an initial letter asking for the charges back, then if you don't hear anything then they have a "stronger" second letter to send.

I hand delivered mine to the bank last Friday morning and had a letter today saying the complaint will be actioned before 14th May. Not bad for about an hours work.
Old 21-04-2007
oOple Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny McGee View Post
Ive wanted to do with for a while but not really sure what to write to them. Any suggestions? I found a letter on the money program website but it seems a bit harsh in which i would be threatening legal action if they dont sort it out. Its only gonna be about 400 quid but to me thats like a whole months drinking money

Cheers for any advice

Danny
Danny use the letter templates from this site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...41050760,24632,( i did ) follow the procedure from start to finish and dont give up, refuse all offers of what they call "a gesture of good will" and stick to your guns with the amouint they owe you, took me about 10 weeks in total but some can be longer or quicker.
Neil..

Last edited by rcracer; 21-04-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: help if i put the link
Old 21-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Ive never had a bank charge.

I dont think. Ive never been overdrawn. What else do you get charged for???

A

p.s. YAY

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 21-04-2007

Basically the reason why it is very easy to claim back your charges when you threaten legal action is that when a bank applies charges to an acocunt, it is supposed to cover costs and costs only, and not act as an income stream.

If you took the bank to court they would find it very difficult to prove the costs they apply only cover costs, so it is more cost effective for the bank to give you your charges back.

You need to threaten with legal action to get the desired outcome. Otherwise the bank will not treat it seriously. There are plenty of example letters out there, including on the the BBC website.

Hope that helps
Old 21-04-2007
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Power to the people and all that, cos some of you have obviously been overcharged! However, this is a major source of income for the banks. With this gone, they are going to do something else to raise money and according to various sources the main one is likely to be the end of free banking. I for one have never been charged a dime by my bank cos I live within my means, so why should I have to pay to use my bank account that I have to have my wages paid into? The "experts" don't think these charges will be much, but over the course of your working career £2 a month in wasted charges is gonna add up...
Old 21-04-2007

I know someone who works for natwest who said the bank may start playing "hardball" . If you claim back all the charges and have either loans/overdrafts/creditcards with the same bank,they are within there rights to demand them paying back in full within 14 days . Aparently its in the small print of the agrement they didnt want to put me off (its a mate) he just said switch all of them to a different lender befor you claim .I havnt heard this has actually happend to anyone yet but its worth thinking about. I need to move some of mine before i claim
Old 21-04-2007
oOple Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Power to the people and all that, cos some of you have obviously been overcharged! However, this is a major source of income for the banks. With this gone, they are going to do something else to raise money and according to various sources the main one is likely to be the end of free banking. I for one have never been charged a dime by my bank cos I live within my means, so why should I have to pay to use my bank account that I have to have my wages paid into? The "experts" don't think these charges will be much, but over the course of your working career £2 a month in wasted charges is gonna add up...
i see your point nick but the charges are unlawfull to the amount it costs them to cover the paperwork which is about £2 and they charge £39 per charge, when they takeing that kind of amount off you it would be silly not to claim back what is rightly yours, i know alot of people havent had a charge in there life and wonder how people get these charges but we are talking a 6 years of charges here and once you get a couple its a downward slope , if they start chargeing for banking its the banks fault for robbing us not the people who get charged for overdrafts or unpaid direct debits.
Old 21-04-2007
Mad Member

Just about to instigate proceedings myself. I reckon I'm owed about £2500.

That's what you get from being a single income family with 2 kids, and an ex who doesn't understand the word "budget"

But of course now I'm single there's a whole plethora of stuff £2500 will buy me.......
Old 21-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy05 View Post
I know someone who works for natwest who said the bank may start playing "hardball" . If you claim back all the charges and have either loans/overdrafts/creditcards with the same bank,they are within there rights to demand them paying back in full within 14 days . Aparently its in the small print of the agrement they didnt want to put me off (its a mate) he just said switch all of them to a different lender befor you claim .I havnt heard this has actually happend to anyone yet but its worth thinking about. I need to move some of mine before i claim
There was a statement released by the banking ombudsman, to the effect that, although the banks are well within their rights to cancel peoples agreements and ask for full payment, the ombudsman would take a very dimm view on this and all such instances should be reported to them for investigation.
Come to the blue side and feel the love!!