Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 29-01-2013

Default New to GT12 - Core RC any good?

Hi All. Im looking at getting a couple of Schuey superstox's (one for me and one for the lad) so ive been looking at the electrics. The easy option is to go for the Core RC package (ESC, 1S Lipo (20C) and 13.5 motor) but I was wondering how competative the package is on track?

Ta

Gareth
Old 29-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

excellent package to get you started, really good esc and motor, batteries a little low ( c rating ) but ideal for club racing

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 29-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I run the core RC speedo with a thunderpower motor and LRP 50c battery,this combo is as fast as the top spec speedos running at our club,
iv never seen anyone run the combination you say,if the motor has fixed timing it wont be as competative as the ones that do,

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 29-01-2013

The motor is a Speed passion V3 which according to a search does have adjustable timing.
Old 29-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You get what you pay for. The core rc speedo is ok, seems to perform well. I've seen top racers use them to good effect. it's a good starter and works well.

The motor does come with adjustable timing, but not by much (compared with other motors available). it's a good performer, but not an A final winner. I'm not a fan of the on motor connectors, they get dirty, cause a resistance, heat up and eventually de-solder, after the motor has been used some time.

The battery is fine for staters, but you soon realise they offer no punch or grunt needed to win races. Mine feels like its flat compaired to my 65C packs, so i only use it for practice.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 29-01-2013

Thanks for the feedback.

What are the alternatives for a not quite so cheap start up package with regards to ESC and motor. I've found 50c 1s lipo's for a reasonable price but I'm struggling with the other two items?

Gareth.
Old 29-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the core rc speedo is good on its own. hobbywing 1S is an alternative, as is LRP/Nostam stock spec.

motor, you can't go wrong with the thunderpower 13.5t or the dynamite 13.5t.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 29-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

double post?

Last edited by neallewis; 29-01-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: double post
Old 29-01-2013

Gareth,

The Core package is perfectly good enough to start with, especially if you have only a little racing experience or are just starting out. if you already know what you are doing you might be able to get an edge with different motors and cells but the speedo is perfectly fine - a couple of the guys at my local clubs have the speedo and they regularly put their cars at the sharp end of the "A" final and win meetings.

The motor is ok. The issue with connectors has already been mentioned but another potential issue is the plugs shorting on your pod if you choose to get better weight distribution by spacing the motor away from its mounting. If you decide that this motor is not for you then other good options are definitely the Thunder Power (if you are looking for performance and value) or either the GM Pro or Reedy Sonic if budget is not a worry.

I would argue that "C" rating on your chosen cells is not as big an issue as their capacity and looking after them right. The current loads our cars demand are not inconsequential, but they are a lot less than for other classes of racing. However, voltage in your pack at the end of the race does make a big difference, so having plenty of capacity left at the buzzer will be noticeable on the track. Having yourself some 90C/6500mAh cells and paying top dollar for them will be a waste of time over some cheaper 50-60C/4500-5000mAh ones - both have more than enough capacity and you just don't need the extra "C". Intergy and IB both do some good ones for a decent price. As for looking after them, don't leave them fully charged (either discharge to 3.8v or storage mode if your charger has it) or leave them as is after a race. Store them somewhere cool and they should last ages.

Hope this helps,

James
Old 29-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth273 View Post
The motor is a Speed passion V3 which according to a search does have adjustable timing.
only up to 10 dergee, thunderpower will go to 50

ill ask what should be asked,
how old/ experienced in rc is your lad? and yourself?
where will you be racing, club? national?
whats your budjet?
Old 29-01-2013

Hi Mark,

I have done plenty of racing (a fair bit against you some time ago) and I currently race 1/8 RallyX. James has done some RallyX too but not that much. Superstox will be raced at club level for now but who knows what will happen if he really likes it - and me, although RallyX will be our main theme for the summer (if we get one)
Budget wise, I dont want to go too mad as I have to buy two of everything to get us going but I dont want to waste money on bits that I feel will soon need upgrading as things progress. So for car, cells, motor, esc, transmitter for the lad (nothing special but 2.4) I dont really want any more than £700 which I think will be tight.
I want the cars to be competative enough for him to get something out of it and not feel as though he is always being left behind.
Old 29-01-2013
Mad Member

The Core package will be fine. I'd bet my car that if you gave that package to the best driver int eh club he will still be faster than you or your lad over a five-minute race. If you are good enough to run the five-minute race without a single mistake, or missing a single apex, then a faster motor or better cells may well take you up a level.

Until then, tuning the chassis, learning to drive faster and being perfect for five minutes will be much cheaper ways to go faster than buying a bigger cell or a different motor. Being competitive is 90% you and 10% car. Once you are competitive, winning is 90% car and 10% you. If, like the rest of us, you and your lad are not budding World Champions, you will find like the rest of us that the Core gear is fine and a great way to get into the wonderful world of RC. HTH
Old 29-01-2013
Mad Member

Double post - but I don't know how??!!!
Old 29-01-2013

Ah Mr H formerly of Guildford.....

Could be worth looking at core speedo, a thunder power motor each, couple of decent lipo each, I would advise a 12th scale servo small savox, don't go for full size. If you check the brca EB list, you can get some good sport packs that are OK for brca use, I use Vapextech.

If you don't have a regular shop I can recommend mbmodels, who would do a deal.
Old 31-01-2013

Thanks for all the feedback.

I've decided to go with the following setup;
Schumacher SS
Core RC speedo
Thunder Power motor
Vapextech 5500 65c 1s lipo
Savox 1350 servo
Aston Martin shell.

+transmitter for the lad (I already have a futsba 4pks)

That should do us I reckon.

Ay comments before I buy?
Old 31-01-2013

Gareth,
Sounds like a good setup.
Just out of curiosity, what servos will you be running in the cars?
James
Old 31-01-2013

James,

I was thinking Savox 1350 or 1357
Old 31-01-2013

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback.

I've decided to go with the following setup;
Schumacher SS
Core RC speedo
Thunder Power motor
Vapextech 5500 65c 1s lipo
Savox 1350 servo
Aston Martin shell.

+transmitter for the lad (I already have a futsba 4pks)

That should do us I reckon.

Ay comments before I buy?

a diff each for the supastox and spring kit, see you at the chesterfield summer shoot outs
Old 31-01-2013

Budget isn't going to stretch to 2 diffs but I will get a couple of sping kits.
Old 31-01-2013

Quote:
Budget isn't going to stretch to 2 diffs but I will get a couple of sping kits.
they some times pop up second hand if i see one ill let you know