Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 28-03-2010

Default ZX-5 diff....again

Someone please help me here.

to get it so that under acceleration the slipper isn't slipping like nuts I have to tighten it to a certain point, but then to get the diffs set so that the slipper slips before they do I have to tighten them to what seems really tight.

Now when I hold the car in the air and turn one of the wheels, every wheel turns in the same direction, is this fine? or does that indicate that the diffs are too tight?

If I loosen the diffs off even a little, then they slips before the slipper, but then if I loosen the slipper a bit so that it slips first, then the slipper slips like crazy when I pull away.

Can someone just confirm that the way I have them now seems right?

Getting back into it after 14 year...so be gentle
Web Design Durham
Old 28-03-2010

if you hold the spur gear and rotate any wheel it should rotate easily and the adjacent wheel should go round in the opposite direction.

If the wheel doesn't turn easily /feels notchy then the diffs are too tight.

You also need to check that the slipper slips before the diff.

First hold both rear wheels so they can't rotate. Now - rotate the spur gear. - The spur gear should rotate (it will be quite stiff)and the slipper shaft should not move. - Otherwise the diff is slipping.

You can check the front diff like this as well but it's not as critical as the front diff sees much less load.

(Some people hold the spur and rotate 1 wheel to check the diff. -Don't do this- This doubles the torque applied to the diff, and will make it slip before the slipper. - The diff will never see this load on track. - Rotate the spur instead as described above.)

Other things to bear in mind - you need to run in a freshly rebuilt diff before you try to adjust it or it will get looser and slip . (Hold one wheel and apply partial throttle for 30 seconds). You will also find that after the first 5 minute run it will usually loosen off slightly and need adjusting again. This is normal as the components bed in.

If the diff keeps getting looser after 3-4 runs then there is a problem.
Old 29-03-2010

Thanks for the tip.

I managed to get someone to check the diffs over last night, and it seems they're fine. The rear diff isn't as smooth, but I have some ceramic diff balls on the way to sort that out. I think I might have let the rear diff slip at some point putting some flat spots on the balls.

Getting back into it after 14 year...so be gentle
Web Design Durham