Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 14-08-2011

Default HPI Flux Temps

Hi guys, just wondering what temps your motors are running at, i clocked up 186 deg with my 5.5 today in coolish breezy conditions in a 4wd durango on a semi grass/astro track!!!!

I'm running a nosram pearl istc on lowest power profile and lowest timing on the motor with the internal fan, on the same gearing as other guys at the track.

All basic checks have been done, transmission running free, connectors etc (been in this game for a while and on for my f2 this year) but i've just about run out of ideas.

At the start of the run when the motor is cold there is instant punch without hesitation, however at the end of the run when hot, accelerating form a standing start it stutters and doesn't pull "cleanly".

Motor is almost new.

Any thoughts because i'm out of ideas.?????

Thanks
Old 15-08-2011

Default flux temps

Errm tricky one this, it does sound like your having very similar problems to a friend of mine, could even say they were pretty much identicle. After long chats and debates we came to the conclusion his left thumb had a bad case of turets or summat,there were loads of jerky movements followed by plenty of foul mouthed cursing. Were still working on a cure and if we find one i will keep you informed.
Old 16-08-2011

Yeah, i did consider this, but on reflection, my lap times may not be the most consistent in the world, however the thumb twitching certainly is. And seeing how i didn't have such heat issues at the start of the season (completed with twitching thumb) something else must have altered???

Anyway you need to pack in this rc game you crank and take up stand up, your far better at that!!!

Back from your holiday then mate?
Old 16-08-2011
Super Moderator

Hi, you don't mention what gearing you are running the Durango on but my guess would be kit 87 spur and around a 21 tooth pinion?

If the motor is getting excessively hot just see how losses your slipper clutch is. If it is too looses you will generate drag and heat in the motor.

Ideally you should just about be able to move the spur gear with one hand whilst holding the two outputs with the other.

BRITISH NATIONAL 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2012
BRITISH NATIONAL SERIES 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2013

Old 16-08-2011

Aye mate am back, will give thee a buzz ya trigger happy sod.
Old 16-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITTLER555 View Post
Hi, you don't mention what gearing you are running the Durango on but my guess would be kit 87 spur and around a 21 tooth pinion?

If the motor is getting excessively hot just see how losses your slipper clutch is. If it is too looses you will generate drag and heat in the motor.

Ideally you should just about be able to move the spur gear with one hand whilst holding the two outputs with the other.
Hi Damo, yeah think that was the gearing and tried going to a 20 and if i remember right even a 19. Think we did discuss this issue with you at the oople race and yeah slipper was then checked and was set correctly so has to be something else, sure Andy will comfirm gearing but changing it made no difference and the car would be cutting out at the five minute mark and stinking hot
Old 17-08-2011
Woop Woop Member

you say you are on minimum timing. make sure you are fully clockwise on the back plate as this is minimum timing. ive heard a few shops saying it is fully anti clockwise which is actually maximum and although quicker generates a lot of heat. i know im 1-2 teeth lower geared than i would be on a equivalent speed passi or nosram as the motors love to rev. if you are still struggling with temp after all this then try a larger rotor as this helps to drop temps as well. if you have any further questions feel free to pm me as have been running these motors from the start

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 17-08-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Yup after Nathan's help and a few other things my HPI is running much cooler - yes I have been told by shops the incorrect timing.

Many thanks Nathan
Old 31-08-2011

Hi chaps just thought i would post an update on the temp situation, so if anybody has the same issue in the future they could refer to my problem.

In a nutshell, i re-wired the whole thing, link wire, connectors and sensor wire, the problem has now gone

On inspection of the parts that came off, one of the individual wires within the sensor wire (if you know what i mean) didn't look too clever, but didn't look bad enough to cause a problem?

All i can guess is there must have been a fracture in one of the wires, connectors etc, causing resistance and heat without any operational issue. Maybe not i cannot be sure, but all i do know is that the problem has now gone.

Do any of you guys change the wiring half way through the season as part of your maintenance, or do you just run it until you have an issue?

Also thanks for your suggestions chaps, much appreciated.
Old 31-08-2011
Woop Woop Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR View Post
Hi chaps just thought i would post an update on the temp situation, so if anybody has the same issue in the future they could refer to my problem.

In a nutshell, i re-wired the whole thing, link wire, connectors and sensor wire, the problem has now gone

On inspection of the parts that came off, one of the individual wires within the sensor wire (if you know what i mean) didn't look too clever, but didn't look bad enough to cause a problem?

All i can guess is there must have been a fracture in one of the wires, connectors etc, causing resistance and heat without any operational issue. Maybe not i cannot be sure, but all i do know is that the problem has now gone.

Do any of you guys change the wiring half way through the season as part of your maintenance, or do you just run it until you have an issue?

Also thanks for your suggestions chaps, much appreciated.
to be honest i keep an eye on it all most weeks. anything that starts to look suspect gets changed

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 04-09-2011

i ran MY 5.5 and 6.5 at the euro's this year on a 21 and 23 on a 83 spur in the cat sx3 in verry hot tempratures outside so at some point it was 40 degrees in the shade so. and my motors never exeded a 100 degrees and never befor aswell as I have been running the motors sinds they are out for sale . and alsoo I mostly run almost ful timing .
Rude-Bits
Serpent
Fba section offroad chairman.