Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 25-11-2018

Default Core UAC 50 charger help.

Hi All,

I have just got back into the RC scene and a lot of things have changed regarding batteries and charging. I used to run NiCad saddle packs which I charged using a Schumacher PC3 charger. I have just purchased a Nimh battery just to have a play with the car before I take the plunge into the Lipo battery technology. The purchase of a Core UAC 50 charger made perfect sense as the charger can accommodate all battery types. I have read the manual but it is not very clear.
I am using a Nimh 3300mah battery so I would imagine I would charge the battery at 3.0Amps?
Also do you need to run the discharge/charge cycle and what settings are best to use?
I am guessing I set the discharge current to 1.0A but what do I set the final voltage too for this battery?
Old 25-11-2018
Mad Member

Default charger

your about right on charging current still using 1C rule although latest generation nimh cells are quite tough and a bit higher rate wont hurt the cells

on discarging if i remember correctly the uac 50 will only discharge at 1 amp i would only discharge to 0.8v per cell so set 4.8v as discharge voltage

you will see a big difference if you upgrade to lipos though

regards dave
Old 26-11-2018

Hi Dave

thank you for the reply and also for the advise on the settings to use. Just one more question i want to ask is would you run a discharge cycle after every use of the battery?

I was thinking about Lipo batteries and I guess when the car is ready for more competitive racing i will venture down this path. I think i am a little bit apprehensive of having them in the house.
Old 26-11-2018
Mad Member

hi chief
i dont use nimhs very often now only for use in our club touring car for beginners
i wouldnt worry about cycling/discharge every use

dont be put off by horror stories of lipos i have used them in aeroplanes and helicopters since they first became available (no balance leads in them days) ,i have never had a fire or exploding lipo yet,
Of course there have been incidences and you do need to be careful with lipos
follow charging instructions carefully you will be fine

I had more issues with nimhs and nicads in the 90,s with false charging and cells going pop than i ever have had with lipos

regards dave
email me at fidspeed@gmail.com if you need more help
Old 27-11-2018

Hi Dave.

Thank you for your help and advice with this issue, very much appreciated. I think i will definatley start to look at Lipo batteries in the future as long as I can get one to fit into the Cougar 2000 chassis. Everything has moved on a lot since I last raced, just got to try and bring myself up to speed. I am still using a 27mhz transmitter and reciever with a brushed motor

Regards Andy.