Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 22-12-2013

Default Problem with DEX210 gearbox

I installed the new type B gearbox and geardiff with no shims between the bearing and diff. If i slowly rotate the spur with my hand i can feel a part of the turn where it's quite notchy and doesn't rotate really well.

I switched the main gear on the gear diff and rebuilt everything by the manual. The problem still exists, when i have the gearbox in my hand slowly rotating the spur gear then about 2/3 of the turn is still rotating hard. The only thing I can still think of is that the brand new gearbox is kinda tight.
When I have it open and rotate the gears by hand I don't see any additional drag or rubbing and everything is smooth.
Also after the diff rebuild, when rotating one side of the diff it's all quiet, when rotating the other side it makes a cliking noise. Fuck, as they say, you shouldn't touch a working thing.
All help is appreciated.
Old 22-12-2013

Hi Jaank,

I would check to see if your lay shaft bearing has gone ?

Its the one that is directly behind the slipper spring.

This bearing generally needs to be replaced regular.

If you get the spring and nut end of the slipper shaft and try to see if there is any up/downwards play.

Old 22-12-2013

Strip the gearbox and then rebuild with the diff and idler gears removed. Leave only the layshaft in there. May seem odd but if there is an issue with the layshaft then it will remain tight. Also, is this the ball diff because my other suggestion is that the diff maybe built incorrect. Check the washers if there are any in the centre of the diff to make sure they are in the correct place
Old 22-12-2013

Another thought is to check the thrust bearing in the diff to make sure the circlip isn't slipping out of place when the diff is tightened up
Old 22-12-2013

Have a look at the side screws to the gear diff itself. Its easy to screw them in too far ... and possibly deform the outer diff gear on one side.
Old 23-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
Another thought is to check the thrust bearing in the diff to make sure the circlip isn't slipping out of place when the diff is tightened up
He's running a gear diff so that isn't the issue.

The only thing that I can think of is the gearbox moulding is slightly out or the screws that hold the two halves together are being over tightened slightly. Back them off a little and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't work then I'd suggest sending the case back to TD Customer Support (Good luck with getting a response, this is why I won't touch TD again). Seriously it sounds like a dud gearbox tbh.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 23-12-2013

Check that your diff bearings are seated fully and flat, the bearings on the gear diff are a tight fit and they may not have fully seated causing the gear box to possibly distort.

Team Durango Australia
www.team-durango.com

Proline Australia

A list of option parts and other information for Durango vehicles. www.durangofansite.com
Old 29-12-2013

As you are rotating the gear box have you cleaned the gears and checked them for any damage.

I use a stiff brush to clean out the teeth and the under a bright light check the teeth for any damage, once you are satisfied all is good wash all the bearing in WD40 and blow off then soak the bearings in Triflow and then allow to drain. Check each bearing for rough spots and if then all is good rebuild the gear box dry installing each gear one at a time, so that any tight spots can be found, once satisfied it is ok grease up and reassemble.

it is a long job but I have found it works, and some thing else to think about is that this a gear box in plastic cases and is never going to be a free as a watch but can be very close with patients.