Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 14-11-2011

So thats what the software is called!

Okay, in that case, i'm on it like sonic! The software does CSV outputs, just need to sort that, importing into the DB is going to be pretty straightforwards, can do that through a standard asp page with no problems, and can have the whole thing automated, so its a question of uploading the CSV through an upload page, and the code will do the rest.

Having a look at the site linked above, i'm gonna be honest, that looks far too basic for me and has virtually no functionality, the functionality that I think is needed. While its nice to have links and stuff there, I wouldnt want to try finding some results when you've been running for 3 years and you're looking for the results of 1 specific driver... needle in a haystack comes to mind. The site I envisage will have the functionality of the site linked, but so very much more.

Gimme a week or so to throw something together that doesnt look like ass, and 10 mins with the software prior to the race starting, and i'll get back to y'all with something you might like...

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 14-11-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

I'm not sure I see the point of any of this...
Old 14-11-2011

It'd be good to have the results there for people who found it useful, Col. It can't do any harm if someone is passionate about setting this up.
Old 14-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to robpearce255

In reply to AC199,
To be honest I don't think many people are all that bothered about their club night results. Not all of us are so anal that we feel the need to plot graphs of our yearly progress and things! lol I feel it would unnecessarily overcomplicate the site, just to add functions that would be very rarely used. As for adding a forum, that too would be unnecessary as the majority of our members know and use oople as their chosen forum for rc related things.

As a long standing club member and new committee member of our friendly local club, I feel that the enjoyment of the club is our welcoming attitude to new racers and our friendly, helpful nature towards each other. I feel this is what our website should be about, to welcome in new racers, which is a lot more important than club night race results, which as Col previously mentioned are pretty meaningless to compare week on week as they vary a lot anyway due to the traction, which varies a lot depending on the heaters and the layout of the track which is changed every week. The champ night results are how we check our progress and they are already posted on the site.

Jerry and myself raised the issue of the website at our agm and proposed only minor functionality changes, content regarding our club (not results!) and a new layout. Anything else would be wasted.

I'm sure you're probably capable of creating a site with all sorts of bells and whistles attached as you've explained by tooting your own horn in previous posts. But it's simply unnecessary!

Also as you seem to have barged in trying to take over our website and also insulted a few of our members, I feel your input is now unwelcome to Jerry and myself say the least!

As you previously said "If you want to carry on and sort it, then be my guest" and I think Jerry (farmboy) and myself can put our heads together and handle it ourselves, thanks.
Rob.
Old 14-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpearce255 View Post
In reply to AC199,
To be honest I don't think many people are all that bothered about their club night results. Not all of us are so anal that we feel the need to plot graphs of our yearly progress and things! lol I feel it would unnecessarily overcomplicate the site, just to add functions that would be very rarely used.

It has nothing to do with anality, it has everything to do with wanting to improve. I'm new, and i want to see how the changes that i make to my driving style, car setup, parts etc all make to my average laptime. I realise that the track changes every week, data can still be gleaned from this, you may not use it, but if 1 other person wants to use it, then its worthwhile. Just throwing this info in here as well... If you dont want to use it, dont use it. No one is trying to force you to use it...

Quote:
As for adding a forum, that too would be unnecessary as the majority of our members know and use oople as their chosen forum for rc related things.
I'm not disputing that, but its literally a 2 second job to add a forum, it adds virtually nothing to the size of the site and if nothing else, i can add a link to oople, which i was planning on doing anyways...

Quote:
As a long standing club member and new committee member of our friendly local club, I feel that the enjoyment of the club is our welcoming attitude to new racers and our friendly, helpful nature towards each other. I feel this is what our website should be about, to welcome in new racers, which is a lot more important than club night race results, which as Col previously mentioned are pretty meaningless to compare week on week as they vary a lot anyway due to the traction, which varies a lot depending on the heaters and the layout of the track which is changed every week. The champ night results are how we check our progress and they are already posted on the site.

Really? Want to show me a link to them, the last results i can see are from 2010... also, why does everyone who is, seem to like advertising the fact that they are committee members? Arent we all equal in the eyes of the club, or does being a committee member mean your ideas and abilities are more important than mine? Should you as a committee member be allowed to continue and do a job that someone else wants to do and could probably do better, just because of your status? I'm just asking here, dont take this as me being disrespectful to you, as a committee member...

Quote:
Jerry and myself raised the issue of the website at our agm and proposed only minor functionality changes, content regarding our club (not results!) and a new layout. Anything else would be wasted.
I cant comment due to not being there, but since no one appears to have done anything, I figured that you either couldnt, or didnt have the time. Both of which i can help with.

Quote:
I'm sure you're probably capable of creating a site with all sorts of bells and whistles attached as you've explained by tooting your own horn in previous posts. But it's simply unnecessary!
That very insulting paragraph is missing a small statement, "in my opinion" Clearly i feel its necessary, otherwise i wouldnt have suggested it... Also, please dont take such a disrespectful tone about my abilities, you dont know me at all.

Quote:
Also as you seem to have barged in trying to take over our website and also insulted a few of our members, I feel your input is now unwelcome to Jerry and myself say the least!
Would you like to show me where I've been insulting? Also show me where i've been trying to take over your website? I have skills which can be useful to new members progression, and also give the website a fresh new look. All i was trying to do was help, now you seem to be losing your cool, and over the internet no less.

Quote:
As you previously said "If you want to carry on and sort it, then be my guest" and I think Jerry (farmboy) and myself can put our heads together and handle it ourselves, thanks.
Rob.
If thats the way you wish to play it, then i have no choice but to simply go ahead and create the site anyways. You carry on and do what you were going to do before, even if i'm the only one who uses the site i'll create, i'll get the information I want, in the format I want. I just figured that if i have a skill and a desire to help out the other newer members, i should offer to help, since you appear to feel threatened by this, for some inexplicable reason, I'll leave you to do whatever it is that you have cooking.

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 14-11-2011

I was making a point that your proposed changes would take the site away from it's goal, to provide plain and simple info on what we do and where we are. You can do what you like, and I don't have anything else to say to you. Lets leave it at that, I don't intend to get into a slagging match or anything over a little website.
Rob.
Old 15-11-2011

Quote:
I was making a point that your proposed changes would take the site away from it's goal, to provide plain and simple info on what we do and where we are. You can do what you like, and I don't have anything else to say to you. Lets leave it at that, I don't intend to get into a slagging match or anything over a little website.
Rob.
Ah, i see now. I tell you what, lets have a chat at the next meeting. I have some information for you, you may or may not find it interesting, since you're trying to nuke me on an internet forum, i figured that the least i could do was explain to you in person what it is that i WAS planning on doing.

I'm not going to continue this discussion, you clearly feel threatened that someone wants to do a task you've said you'll do, you crack on fella, have at it, and i really hope you do an awesome job.

Trader Feedback
Old 15-11-2011
YORCC legend

Our man from the YORCC Diplomatic Service writes:

This is all getting quite heated so shall we leave the matter alone for a while? I would suggest that we all have a very quick chat about it at the next opportunity, where anyone can put forward suggestions for the club website.

Then we can get a consensus on what direction to take the site in and how to achieve that.

No-one's ideas are going to be dismissed out of hand but there has to be a better way of discussing them than on this current thread.

Jerry
Old 15-11-2011

I agree wholeheartedly Jerry. Lets get our heads together at the next meeting guys and see if we can't put this whole debacle to bed once and for all.

Trader Feedback
Old 15-11-2011

Yes that sounds much better to me too. I guess I was rightly or wrongly, just abit annoyed that you seemed to want to do it all yourself, when we were already planning to work on it as a team and put all our ideas together. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC199 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly Jerry. Lets get our heads together at the next meeting guys and see if we can't put this whole debacle to bed once and for all.
Old 15-11-2011
YORCC legend

Group hug.
Old 15-11-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Gay.

FIGHT!!
Old 16-11-2011

Awww, I feel sorry for Col now....

Trader Feedback
Old 16-12-2011

Ok ok I see the site is getting into a bit of a problem....

I actually do websites (Senior Web Designer) for a living and can do a new site for us in about a week or so.

I will come up with some designs for us and we can have a look at maybe putting in a vote for the best design and if Mike, Simon and Derek are happy for me to make the big change to the new design we have chosen then I will do so.

Forums: Well as stated the club peeps use oople and that is not a problem...We just have a button that says Forum and links to Oople YORCC page : http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Race Results: BBK Software (after some research) can actually export .html files and that in non technical terms is a web page file. The problem you have is that yes they look like the rest of the clubs results pages as it looks to export it in a set way. If you happy with the results looking like that, then its very easy to add a link to the new site and that link goes to the results page.

I think this is the 2 biggest requests at the moment?

I know we have a facebook page setup by someone and we can add that onto the new site as well.

I have created a YORCC media (youtube) Account and if people have video they want to upload they can give it to me and I can upload it through the account and have a video blog running that I can update as soon as the video goes live it will show up on the website.

I can honestly say it will not take me long to setup the entire site but i will need some information from the people of YORCC...

What do you want on the site and what do you want the site to do?

I do agree we need information for new peeps like myself and thats the main reason for the site being there but what more do you want from the site?

Also can I get some YORCC Logo suggestions?

I can find out about T-Shirt and hodie prints using the logo as we work with allot of print companies with my work and might be able to get a good deal if we get high numbers on print volume...

I can add some advertisment space as well and see if we can get some advertisment from modelsport (as they around the corner from us) and other rc companies.... This might pay for the hosting and will mean the site runs for free and means the club does not have to pay for the site hosting (currently payed by Mike I think) and so on.

Vince
Old 16-12-2011

/me grabs the popcorn.

Trader Feedback
Old 16-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC199 View Post
/me grabs the popcorn.
Haha no popcorn needed... Im just saying that the stuff you want to do is possible and I can do it without loosing the main aim of the site which is to inform people of the club and what and where we do it.

The rest is just extra...

The site does need to have a much cleaner and modern update and all is im saying is I do this day in and out and will do it if Mike, Simon and Derek are happy with what i come up with.

Vince

Dam you AC199 now im hungry and want popcorn
Old 16-12-2011

The stuff I want to do isnt possible the way you're going to do it. Not that it matters, I've already built my site, it sits on my home server and will never see a webserver.

I'll bring you some popcorn tomorrow

Trader Feedback