Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 28-05-2013

Jesus, now he starts out with a fucking quote? What is this a godamn debate club? Have a word grandad!

You want some quotes? Heres a few for you old man...

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
― Oscar Wilde

“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”
― André Gide

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
― Dr. Seuss

“Never argue with an idiot; he will bring you down to his level and win from experience.”
― Brad Slipiec

“People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.”
― Bill Watterson

And finally my personal favourite...

"Sometimes there are no words to describe how we feel about some people. Thank God, He gave us the middle finger."
- Mick McCormack

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 28-05-2013

Whoever Robby is, has stumbled across the biggest misconception people have, i.e. I've paid my £5 race fee for a service, I don't need to help with the track at the start or end of the night. This is incorrect, we are all equal members of a club. We all pay the race fee, as proposed and seconded at the clubs AGM, and we all have the same obligation to put away the track. To just pack up and leave and think it's ok, someone else will do it, is just not fair. On Saturday it was very nearly left to an elderly gentleman who is awaiting surgery to improve his mobility to do it on his own, because he had the trailer hooked up to his car.

I just don't get the attitude that someone else will do that, so I don't have to. It's just not fair to leave it to others, when we are all equal members of the club. York is a very friendly and enjoyable place to race.

On a side note, back in the day, 24 years ago, when Take That were a big attraction, Manchester United used to win the league every year, and we had a Tory government, (a bit like now), the club I went to gave out trophies, but only after the track was away and only given to those that stayed back. However, the race fee, corrected for inflation was £8.
Old 28-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin A View Post
Whoever Robby is, has stumbled across the biggest misconception people have, i.e. I've paid my £5 race fee for a service, I don't need to help with the track at the start or end of the night. This is incorrect, we are all equal members of a club. We all pay the race fee, as proposed and seconded at the clubs AGM, and we all have the same obligation to put away the track. To just pack up and leave and think it's ok, someone else will do it, is just not fair. On Saturday it was very nearly left to an elderly gentleman who is awaiting surgery to improve his mobility to do it on his own, because he had the trailer hooked up to his car.

I just don't get the attitude that someone else will do that, so I don't have to. It's just not fair to leave it to others, when we are all equal members of the club. York is a very friendly and enjoyable place to race.

On a side note, back in the day, 24 years ago, when Take That were a big attraction, Manchester United used to win the league every year, and we had a Tory government, (a bit like now), the club I went to gave out trophies, but only after the track was away and only given to those that stayed back. However, the race fee, corrected for inflation was £8.

Thank you Robin, for responding in an adult manner.
I'm not saying "the attitude" is correct, what I'm saying is that they have every right to feel as they do. Is it fair? Of course not. But life isn't fair. You may think it a misconception, but when it's a race entry fee, that's what it is. A fee to race.
It's no different than traveling to race at a permanent facility attached to a hobby shop. You don't sweep the floors or clean the toilet when you're done, do you? If you enter a big race, do you help clean up afterwards and work on track grooming or do you leave that to the organizers?

The reality is that, using your theory, any so-called fees collected by the club (membership fees or whatever you want to call them) should cover all club activities including hall rentals. You're not giving out trophies or anything, so there is no added unanticipated costs each week that should require weekly fees. If you're not charging annual membership fees then it's not really a club, and instead a gathering of friends. Otherwise, the cost of the hall rental for the day should be divided equally amoungst all entries instead of having a flat cost each week. Because now you're turning it into a profit-making endeavor.
And unless you have it specified in the club bylaws - that, "if you do not help assemble and pack up the track at the end of the day's racing, you have no right to race" - you can't really enforce it.

I'm just trying to say, in an adult way, there's all kinds of problems with the theory and making such demands on racers.

I didn't come here trying to get anyone's panties in a knot, seems that already happened, but I was just trying to suggest that there's a lot of reasons for it happening. Pitching a fit here, solves nothing. If it's a club matter, then it needs to be discussed and voted on by the club (in its majority) at a club meeting. But acting like it's the only time it's ever happened, or that threatening people will solve it is a bit unrealistic. Like I said, there's a reason clubs die and it's not a lack of racers. It's racers that get sick of the club.

And, like I also said earlier - It's also been my experience that a surefire way to make racers feel unwelcome is to chastise them publicly and become aggressive with your approach to them. Grow men don't appreciate being dealt with like they're children, even by their mums, regardless if you think they're right or wrong.

'You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.'
Old 29-05-2013
YORCC legend

The point that Robin was making is totally valid: paying a fiver for five hours of racing does not discharge you from your responsibilities. It is a club. Not a commercial rc race venue.

That said, all clubs suffer from the same issue. There are those who chip in and help out, taking on responsibility for things. They keep the wheels turning, so to speak. Then there are those who are happy to turn up but don't lift a finger, though they may criticise from time to time.

I have to say though, that when we're down to the last half a dozen guys clearing up and I look round a gym-hall still full of carpet and pipes, the thought of losing a few members because they take umbrage at being told to help out, doesn't exactly fill me fear.
Old 29-05-2013

Send a message via MSN to darryl

i still say the best solution is to just run a polished floor meeting , nice and basic , quick and easy to build and put away or fobode your big jumps and keep it simple,which means less time building more time racing and less time putting away, only a suggestion, but maybe do it once a month
tenth technology predator xk98

Last edited by darryl; 29-05-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added a bit more
Old 29-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
i still say the best solution is to just run a polished floor meeting , nice and basic , quick and easy to build and put away or fobode your big jumps and keep it simple,which means less time building more time racing and less time putting away, only a suggestion, but maybe do it once a month

I like this idea as I do think we use too much carpet sometimes.
May help a few of us improve our skills!!

Maybe just use the carpet on the straight?