Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 08-11-2016

Hi...i am a new user here. In my case one toro I reverse connected, the second failure was after over a year of running in 4wd, and I exceeded its component tolerances, running a hot motor on a very sunny day on longish grass, and it blew in my regional final as I was moving up the field. Yup it let me down, but I had my moneys worth up to that point.
Old 08-11-2016
Mad Member

Naff all in it.

The SkyRC ESC's are brilliant because they're affordable. I wouldn't ever buying a LRP/Nosram/Orion, they're SO expensive and after trying them there's no performance in it what so ever.

I've even ran REALLY budget ESC's like the Bullistorm 120's that were around a few years ago, I think they were £16 a go and even accepted the Hobbywing software!

I run an aluminium cased SkyRC now. It's affordable but has the lovely aluminium casing which is robust and keeps my electrics cool

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 10-11-2016

have you got a link to the alloy case one ??
Old 10-11-2016
Mad Member

http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...product_id=206

http://www.rcmart.com/ts120a-procomp...Path=1560_1021

(I have shortcuts for it, as it's quite likely to be my next ESC......)
Old 10-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

http://www.banggood.com/SKYRC-TORO-T...h-p-83221.html

http://www.banggood.com/SKYRC-TS120A...-p-970353.html

http://www.banggood.com/SKYRC-Progra...-p-937725.html

http://www.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-...pp_340027.html

http://www.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-...pp_340026.html

http://www.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-...pp_340767.html
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-11-2016

You can get the plastic case one cheaper on eBay but I can got rhe alloy case of from banggoog great service
Old 11-11-2016

Default SkyRC Toro ESc

Gents,

I have a couple of HW v3.1 and looking at what you are writing these "cheaper" esc look bang for your buck good. Can I use my HW program card with this esc and also update the software to the latest HW version using my laptop?

They look really well made and if they "fail" after putting hot motors out of spec in them, then that isn't to bad.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Cheers

Moss Models
Garcia Graphix

Old 11-11-2016
Mad Member

Depends what cheap ESC you decide to go for Lee.

I've previously purchased some of the £16 120a ESC's on ebay and I've put the Hobbywing software on no problem.

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 11-11-2016

Default Cheap hobbywing clones

My hobbywing v3.1 has just died so went and purchased a cheap hobbywing clone.

I've previously had the X-car 120amp from hobbyking and that lasted 2years in my Durango410 and then sold It on. It ran faultless.

This one pictured was only £16 with free postage
From eBay. It didn't say if it was a hobbywing clone or it ran hobbywing firmware but just by looking at the pics and it's internals I went and bought it.
Plugged in the program card and it had 205mod hobbywing firmware installed, so just updated it to the 930mod (latest update).
I've tested it in the tm2 and it's very smooth and punchy. All the wires come presoldered to the esc tabs so no messing about. I've got a v3.1 hobbywing in my tm4 and can't see any difference to the cheap version.

Link to eBay..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131983190700

It says it's uk based but I got mine within a week.

You can get it £11 from Asia if you are not worried about how long it takes to get here.

Quite frankly, it's mind boggling how cheap esc are now. How the fook can they manufacture it for £11 send free through the post and make a profit???

Last edited by jpmatrix; 11-11-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2016

The mark up on rc electronics is huge when compared to most other electronics. Imagine if orion/LRP/reedy made PC motherboards, they'd cost thousands!
Old 11-11-2016

Default Chinese translations

Well just finished installing electrics

Old 11-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.willows View Post
Gents,

I have a couple of HW v3.1 and looking at what you are writing these "cheaper" esc look bang for your buck good. Can I use my HW program card with this esc and also update the software to the latest HW version using my laptop?

They look really well made and if they "fail" after putting hot motors out of spec in them, then that isn't to bad.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Cheers
No Hobbywing software does not go on these, and the hobbywing progbox doesn't work, sorry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-11-2016
Mad Member

hobbywing software will go on these cheapy ESC

but it is the earlier V2.1 series not the later v3 esc as Neals previous post

regards dave
Old 11-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidspeed View Post
hobbywing software will go on these cheapy ESC

but it is the earlier V2.1 series not the later v3 esc as Neals previous post

regards dave
I'm talking about Toro 120's, which won't take any hobbywing software, as per lee's question. The cheapo v2.1 hobbywing/Speed passion GT2.0/2.1 clones are different and of course will take it with the hobbywing program box.

I've you have spare Hobbywing v3.1's not sure why you'd want to regress to these v2.1's though? The v3.1 is much better.
Old 11-11-2016
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

It all depends what it is that you're looking to do with it. Running off road, primarily pretty close to blinky, I'd guess that there are a lot of speedos that will be "OK".

However, 18 months or so ago, I was asked to do some speedo testing for a manufacture / distributor who was looking at introduce an ESC. It came from one of the bigger OEM companies in China, and there is no doubt that it "took inspiration" from Hobbywing v3.1 (It wasn't one of the 4/5 Sky RC speedos that are available from different brands!!). All I can say, is running modified touring car outdoors it needed a bit of work!! The power delivery wasn't pretty, it would light up wheels pretty much when ever you wanted to. On the one hand you could say "wow" look at the power it has, but on the other hand there was no doubt that the lack of finesse was making it slower around the track.

I did this testing comparing this ESC against Hobbywing v3.1 and Much More Fleta Pro - and honestly both of those were night and day ahead.

I haven't seen any clone ESC's that will run any of Hobbywing's V3 and above software, just that from the v2 - which would have stopped development 5-6 years ago.
Old 11-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
It all depends what it is that you're looking to do with it. Running off road, primarily pretty close to blinky, I'd guess that there are a lot of speedos that will be "OK".

However, 18 months or so ago, I was asked to do some speedo testing for a manufacture / distributor who was looking at introduce an ESC. It came from one of the bigger OEM companies in China, and there is no doubt that it "took inspiration" from Hobbywing v3.1 (It wasn't one of the 4/5 Sky RC speedos that are available from different brands!!). All I can say, is running modified touring car outdoors it needed a bit of work!! The power delivery wasn't pretty, it would light up wheels pretty much when ever you wanted to. On the one hand you could say "wow" look at the power it has, but on the other hand there was no doubt that the lack of finesse was making it slower around the track.

I did this testing comparing this ESC against Hobbywing v3.1 and Much More Fleta Pro - and honestly both of those were night and day ahead.

I haven't seen any clone ESC's that will run any of Hobbywing's V3 and above software, just that from the v2 - which would have stopped development 5-6 years ago.
Interesting.

So would you say that having an original hobbywing v2.1 with its latest firmware at the time have a different power delivery to a cheap clone that runs the same firmware?

To be honest, I couldn't notice the difference. The clone esc I tested seemed very smooth and progressive in the tm2 in comparison to my tm4 which has the v3.1 which imo is the best speedo I've owned. But then again, off road and on road racing is like night and day.
Old 12-11-2016

Default Program card

Hi guys
What program card did you use for these cheap esc?
Thanks
Old 13-11-2016
Mad Member

hobbwing or clone of LCD multi-function program box
hope link works, give you some idea may need to update firmware in box before use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...cd&_sacat=2562
Old 13-11-2016

Default Thanks

Thanks
How do you update the firmware
New to this brushless lark not raced for some time
Old 13-11-2016
Mad Member

get a box first it may not need updating I it does its easy to do after downloading HW software from internet its easy even I can do it !!

dave