Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 07-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
Demon DL5000, can't see them anywhere. I'm looking at replacing them anyway, but don't want to be forced into it.
Following a little more research, the DL5000 is a LiPo with side exit wires. This would probably fail the BRCA rules depending on width. I believe this cell was only ever on the very first LiPo list which was for the trial Touring Car series a few years back. Of the cells on that list some (including the DL5000) didn't meet the final LiPo rules and were removed. You'll see at the bottom of the 2010 list is a section for those cells that were transferred from the "trial" list to the official EB listing.

I am no longer the Off-Road technical officer so can't 100% comment on this years list but I believe the above should give you an answer on the original question, so in theory they haven't been legal for a while.
Old 07-02-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

2008 TC Lipo List is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleigh_ View Post
Following a little more research, the DL5000 is a LiPo with side exit wires. This would probably fail the BRCA rules depending on width.
Quote:
Technical Rule 3.. --- Lithium Based Batteries – for 2010.
Lithium Based (LiPo/LiFe) Batteries can be approved, but must conform to the following :-
1. Lithium Based (LiPo/LiFe) battery packs must have a hard, protective case that completely envelopes the
cell(s). The case should be made from ABS or a similar material. The two halves of the case must be
factory sealed in a way that any attempt to open the case will destroy the case. The only opening in the
case that is allowed, is for the exit of wires.
The maximum case sizes are as follows: -
2S Batteries.
Length: 139.0mm.
Width: 47.0mm. (The max. width includes any side exit wires).
Height: 25.1mm. (Chassis location features additional to this dimension are allowed) Saddle-Pack cells are allowed, but must comply with the above dimensions. Saddle-Pack cells must have a combined dimension of 139.0mm max when placed end to end.
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 07-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
the DL5000 is a LiPo with side exit wires. This would probably fail the BRCA rules depending on width.
Exactly as I was saying. It's not the side exit wires that make it fail, more the width including those wires.

Looking at the 2008 TC list, the DL5000 measures 45.1mm wide not including wires. I can't see the wires measures less than 1.9mm can you, so that would be the reason for a fail and not being included in the offical EB listings for 2009 onwards.
Old 07-02-2010

Well they're due for replacement anyway, been running them just under two years now. The problem I've noticed with them (other people who have the same cells , but starting to see it in mine now), because the wires are bent back, you'll get breakages in the insulation. Now for the main power wires, you can get round this by using heatshrink and electrical tape if it's not too near the lipo case itself, but I've seen exposed wires on the balance leads, and they're pretty much nothing you can do to fix that. Think I'll get myself some gold 3600, don't need any more power than that anyway really.
Old 11-02-2010

Default No there are a lot of us I guess

Have two stick packs bought for my birthday, had trouble getting them and at one point was offered money back. Silly me, but looking on the bright side didn't get ride of my last years 4900 gold packs.
Old 12-02-2010

Quote:
Exactly as I was saying. It's not the side exit wires that make it fail, more the width including those wires.

Looking at the 2008 TC list, the DL5000 measures 45.1mm wide not including wires. I can't see the wires measures less than 1.9mm can you, so that would be the reason for a fail and not being included in the offical EB listings for 2009 onwards.

I had to sell off my DL5000's last year, before my regionals started. PW explained the reason why and obviously there could not be any exceptions. I feel the DL5000 are better packs than the LRP 5300 28c I purchased. Demon even showed examples of the packs performance after 400 charges, without balancing them (no loss in performance indicated).

Shame but rules are rules...
Old 14-02-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to jono83

So does anyone actually have the reason why the TP darks are not on the list??
Old 14-02-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

try reading all the clues here

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=69 especially the name of the packs the guy is using under the graph!
Old 14-02-2010

I like the Demons, although not as much punch as the Venom's I'd bought just a month earlier, which aren't BRCA legal either so I can only use them for practice or at clubs we're they're not so strict.

If it's a width issue, then surely they can either make them like the Trakpower gold lipos, or have the wires coming out from a different location. It would mean retooling the machine that makes the packs, but it's an option for them.