Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 21-07-2006

Send a message via MSN to tc2k
Default Brushless or not

Im currently trying to get my B4 up to a better race standard and Im wanting to get a nippier motor than my Peak V2 19t motor I have now. I was looking at 2 options, either buying a Novak GTB Brushless set which would cost a hella money in the beginning at around 170quid or, buying a decent 12turn V2 motor for around 40quid and then buying a lathe which you can get for about 50quid and then buying about 7 or 8 sets of brushes for about 30quid. This way would be cheaper. I know the brushless will outlast the Brushed but 1. Ive heard of alot of Brushless have problems and go pop and 2. its a LOT of money to spend on one piece of equipment. Im leaning towards the lathe/brushed combo but whats everyones opinion.
Old 21-07-2006

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

well i had the GTB for less than one meeting and it went pop, but others at the club have had no probs with them.. While it was running it was amazing and deffinetly seems the way forward, just need the reliability sorting...

Now got the decision, as i got it second hand, wether to pay £97 to send it back to the states and get a refurb or maybe try the LRP sphere comp. Seems the LRP speedo and the novak motors are a popular fairly trouble free mix...!

if your going to stick with brushless, i'd go for the checkpoints, mine ran fine for ages before it needed a skim, and much easier to work on than the vantages.
Old 21-07-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

In 2wd if you run enduro brushes a V2 should last at least 3-5 meetings.
If you run sprint (high power) brushes prob 2 meetings easy.
In 4wd i replace me brushes every meeting in 4wd, could do a couple of meetings, but when its really hot it can be 3 runs max, it all depends on your driving style.
Iam not going brushless unless there is a distinct advantage and they are reliable.
Old 21-07-2006

I'd go brushless but it really depends how much hassle you want between races and to some extent how much hassle you want between meetings.

I have the LRP Sphere speed controllers and there ace

As far as reliabilty for the motors goes, I have only had 1 problem. Basically the thread for the screws on the end bell came loose (I blame my dad for crashing it about 20 times in 1 lap though!!). Sent it back and it was replaced with a shiny new one.

From the option's you listed, your only going to spend and extra £50 to go brushless. For me, it wasnt a tough decision after I kept breaking brushed motors.

Ta
Stu
Old 22-07-2006

I'm running BL all season now and never looked back. I can spend a lot more time setting up the chassis or just relaxing at a race.

The consensus at my club seems to be that the LRP/Nosram systems feel more linear and less brutal then the Novak systems. Most drivers using Novaks have to use between 20-40% exponential on their throttle and some experience a really annoying "stuttering" after 3,5 minutes racing.

I've ran Novak brushed ESC's for ten years, but I switched to the LRP Sphere because it just 'felt' better.

annyone tried the new IFMAR and EFRA approved GM sensorless system ?
Old 22-07-2006

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

What's the concencus on ordering from abroad, due to it being quite fickle, is it best to order in the UK despite possible having to pay maybe 50 to 60quid more?
Old 22-07-2006

Well, I got my new xxx-cr for £121 from USA (+ 36 import duty). It's still a saving of £50 from UK prices. (£203 at apex)

I bought 3 sets of 4200's from losipartshouse.com for around £30 each (I got away with the import duty on that one!! :smile:

So yes, get from the USA, the wait is usually 5-7 days, but that doesnt matter if your a bit organised.

*edit* also forgot to say, got a fair bit of stuff of ebay (USA) and touch wood, everthing has arrived packaged properly and in good working order

Ta
Stu

Last edited by hickston; 22-07-2006 at 06:37 PM.