Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 16-03-2013

Default 1 or 2 week ban on oil based additive

Hi all

What do people think to banning oil based additives for a week or two as a trial to see if it repairs the track.

This is something they are doing at major events. Heard someone saying the carpet at a major event was ruined after just the first round so it was suggested to ban additive for next rounds to improve the grip.

Looking at the state of the track Friday I think we possibly may need to do the same. This was actually baldy seniors idea but I agree. I believe a few others were in agreement too.

Btw this hasn't been a problem before as we haven't had so many people running foams (via supastox etc) and the CS additive used on them.

A few of us have stopped running additive and not noticed any loss in grip.
But ofcourse, we don't need to do this if people object. I personally believe it will improve grip. And it will be an interesting test.

Who's in?
Old 17-03-2013

Default Messy carpet

We do have a few options…

1. Ban additive for a short time.

2. Flip the carpet

3. Clean the carpet

I will have a chat with the committee and see what the view is..

Unfortunately as has been discovered not many of our members use this forum so it will take a few weeks to implement whatever we want to do..
Old 17-03-2013

If its consistant i.e. everyone does it then Im in
Old 17-03-2013

All of those sound good

I don't think anyone should really mind so much as its an experiment to help everyone.
I'm thinking if anyone has objections it'll be just because they are argumentative. But if someone has any real and genuine concerns then we don't change anything.
Old 17-03-2013

And yes. It would be everyone with oil based additives.
Old 17-03-2013

As Mark said I think it would be a good idea for a time. Looking at the carpet Friday it did look a bit rank! Turning the carpet over is not an option because the oil would end up on the wooden floor - not a good idea. With regards to cleaning it - how? I think it's beyond 'shake an vac'. As you are one of the first to get there Shane could you let everyone know and I will back you up when I arrive? I don't think anyone wants the bill for a new carpet and as long as nobody uses additive everyone will be 'in the same boat' with regards to grip. It might even add a bit of excitement into the evening, it's been a while since we had a 'drifting' class!!
Old 17-03-2013

I agree ban additive for abit. used some the other week felt i had to much grip with my gt12. To clean it wouldn't it have to be commercially cleaned then left to dry rolled out. Surely there isn't the space anywhere to clean it or give it enough time to dry out.
Old 17-03-2013

I would be up for it. I only started using additive a few weeks back anyway.
Need to clarify what is meant by oil-based. Water would be allowed I would guess, but what about something like acetone? Ethanol? Possibly the best way would be to ban specific commercial products.
Old 17-03-2013

Do we have to be specific?
Obviously I don't know the technicalities of each type but I assume they all do the same thing ie help grip.
Just say no additive full stop.
I bow to your knowledge.
Old 17-03-2013

I would go for the full ban no need to pick and choose and then its the same for everyone... Bring back Carpet dragons

I have a VAX so can clean the carpet with that and we are currently looking for a maintance weekend to get the track sorted so i would join the two...

Happy to start next week but as has been proved this forum only connects to 1/4 to 1/3rd of our members so a jump may not go down well..
Old 17-03-2013

I think that it should be an all-or-nothing technique regarding the additive, rather than allowing water but not oil based, or visa-versa.

I think that way it will firstly clear up quicker, and also not give those an advantage that may be using a particular type of additive.

I know that some people have been using additive every race (ie me) but others have not been using it at all and all seem to be the same speed, so shouldn't see any major advantages or changes.

What would be the long term plan? Or is that something to see when we know the effects of banning the additive? Maybe one week without additive every month?
Old 17-03-2013

The only reason for saying oil based additives are that CS used on foam tyres is causing the problem but say lrp on rubber tyres is not the reason for the carpet going rank.

And I'm not sure what TC's will be like with no additive at all :-/ and oil based additives don't really work that well on rubber (in glos anyways) so you wouldn't want to use cs on rubber TC tyres anyways.
Old 17-03-2013

So it is best to go for a ban on oil based additives (ie CS) only?

So people can continue to use water based additives (ie LRP) on their foam tyres if they wish?

(Just clarifying, not a moan lol!) (Sorry if this is repeating other points, just putting it in a concise way!!!)
Old 17-03-2013

I'm not sure if I'm honest, might be just worth having no additive at all on foam (to make life easy) and only lrp/another water based additive on rubber tyres and that's it.
Old 17-03-2013

Ok cool, ta
Old 17-03-2013

I'm happy with not running any additive on foams as it will make little difference to grip.

However I have tried to run no additive on rubber on tc and its disastrous. The compound 28's didn't have quite as much grip as usual. This itself isn't the problem. The problem was the extra sliding around meant the tyres over heated. They then started squealing badly. And then where useless. Gave no grip and destroyed the rubber.

So we can't ban additive on tc as its counter productive. And will get expensive replacing destroyed tyres weekly. Also, the rubber is dry by time it goes onto the track so this isn't the problem (as years of tc have proved).

The problem has only recently come about because of the much higher number of foam and CS additive users.

So this was hence ban the oil based additives. the tc stuff aint oil. I'm happy for people to use the lrp additive on foams if they're not happy with using nothing. But hopefully nobody will mind going no additive at all on foams as the foams will drop the additive back on the track. Whereas rubber tyres don't as they go on the track dry.
Old 17-03-2013

Would also like to say this would/should be on an experimental basis so if a few people think its not working (within reason) we could quickly stop the ban.
Old 17-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMadShane View Post
I would go for the full ban no need to pick and choose and then its the same for everyone... Bring back Carpet dragons

I have a VAX so can clean the carpet with that and we are currently looking for a maintance weekend to get the track sorted so i would join the two...

Happy to start next week but as has been proved this forum only connects to 1/4 to 1/3rd of our members so a jump may not go down well..
I'm happy to give the carpet a once over Friday
Old 18-03-2013

NO PROBLEM WITH THIS see, we can all agree on something!

I dont tend to use additive because I've found my car finds enough grip by heat 2/final but this is probably because everyone else is plastering their rear tyres with it and oiling up the track during the night.

I'd worry about banning it for the TCs after reading what Mark is saying about ruining tyres without it. If the TCs are still putting down additive this could give enough grip on the racing line for the GT12 foams aswell, possibly?

I think it would be a good experiment.

I was vacuuming the carpet the other week and thought it looked thin and knackered in places. I'm guessing buying new carpet track is v costly?
Old 18-03-2013

Who would love a new carpet?

Is that unrealistic mr treasurer?