Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 22-08-2014

Default Class Within a Class

Morning All,

I've spent some time on this forum and others and there seems to be a couple of common themes.

1. SC has quite taken off with the bang we initially expected
2. Like RC in generally there is a disconnect between the RTR christmas/birthday purchase and even the modestly high levels of club racing

So I had a thought. Taking inspiration from the old Tamiya eurocup, full scale GT3 racing and a few other things I decided what we need is a one-make with simple rules that can easily and cheapily adopted by clubs and series.

Rather than going down the direction one or two RC single make series have in the past by announcing a national series without gauging support. I'm planning to start with a regs set, test it out at existing small events (thus boosting grids at club or local regional events) with 3-5 drivers and see how the class is perceived. Any club can start a class and at the events were I'll be testing the trucks I'm going to try and get a spare/guest/rental truck so people can try it out and see what they think.

The Class is going to be called the ECX Torment Cup. I'll guess a couple of people see that name and think its a bash wagon and its 'not fit to grace a race track' - well keep that to yourself for the time being.

The key is to create a series for people to walk off the street with their RTRs and be competitive or come in from another genre and be on the grid for £130. Which in itself could make it a pretty cost effective way to run a second class and get more track time.

Here's the rules:

2wd Brushed Torments
1. Allowable changes servo,receiver, diff grease and shock oil.
2. Earlier Generation Torments may run the later Tazer esc/15t motor.
3. Weight may be added to the steering guard ONLY. (photos to follow)
4. Motors will run under the 'RISI' rule. Standing for "Run it or Shut it "- If you believe that someone else's motor is quicker, you can buy it off them at FULL RRP but the motor will be paint penned and the purchaser must run it for the remainder of the event. (fresh motors also available for purchase)
6. Everything else must remain stock.
7. Alternative batteries and connectors may be used, provided they are commercially available, hardcase and cost no more than £25 at the time of the event.

Why the Torment? why not some turnigy special that has adjustable everything and you can throw a HW system in and be on the grid for similiar amount? Why not a Slash? or the Team C?
Well, first I wanted a truck thats tough enough for beginner and has a good distribution and parts back up but is also fiercly cheap. So the Turnigy isn't exactly a brand you can walk into a model shop and buy, The Slash isn't Cheap, and all of them have a fair amount of adjustability to them. The ECX on the other hand is quite 'fixed', so you spend less time getting the set-up going down a wrong path on set-up and more time learning to drive it and improving your driving. I'm not trying to come up with a car that competitive with a Durango for the change in your pocket, I was thinking a FUN single make series with a cheap, robust truck could be a new way to go.

So what do you think? leaving aside prejudices against the Torment compared to a top flight machinery
Old 23-08-2014

Talking Classes

I understand your concerns, but surely doing this dilutes it even more??
Also you can enter bog standard cars into main class with great results. has been proven. Its mainly because it's not a BRCA sanctioned class. Is not recognised as a serious class. Best they/them/ect come and actually enter an event.
Old 24-08-2014

Thats just the point the Torment Cup trucks would be entered initially in the main field of the SC class, thus bringing more trucks to the grids. While they might not have a great chance of taking the overall victory or podium against the rest of the grid decked out with AE SC10's and DESC210s they'd still have a chance of the sub class victory. If they do get an overall podium - BONUS!

If we could have a class for trucks that cost the same as an ESC/Motor combo or a couple of decent BRCA homolgated LiPos and that runs inside an existing class so it can boost club night numbers and grids at bigger events whats the harm?
Old 24-08-2014

rob,ECX Torment now £99 + free p&p[selections-web]
Old 25-08-2014

even better
Old 10-09-2014

I like this idea, as long as they are in with the heats with other trucks to bulk up the numbers, just separate the results like they do with Rallying.

You are classified in the end by Class and Overall.
Old 10-09-2014

Thats the plan, the Torment cup would be self-administered inside the normal short course class and the positions would be taken from the official event Timing and scoring. If it becomes strong enough to warrant its own Heat..... even better!
Old 10-09-2014

This needs to be included in next years Nationals, along with a generic STOCK class for anyone wanting to run a BOX STOCK truck.

Same as your idea, so everyone competes together PRO race trucks/BOX STOCK trucks and of course the ECX torment cup trucks. However in addition to being in the main heats they would score points in their own respective classes also.

Yes its more administration but surely this is a small price to pay to save this type of racing from extinction.

Short Course racing seems to be in decline the UK with numbers dwindling away slowly but surely, yet modelshops are still shifting them, so where are they going and who are using them.

Most "proper" bashers will already have the kit to go racing they would just need a PT and BRCA membership.

The BRCA needs to hook up with some tech companies to produce a low cost functional PT which can be bundled into an increased membership cost to aid newcomers getting into racing.
Old 13-09-2014

Talking ideas....

Fat chance of that happening, Justin.
Is why series is not BRCA affiliated already.
Keep it simple and people will come.
They are not supported at a regional level enough, therefore people are like sheep and follow whatever class is popular.
Old 13-09-2014

I've already had this discussion last year,it's unrunable as we can't scrutinise every car that enters..someone at sometime will cheat if you put some sort of limit in place,most clubs do allow shortcourse to race but after a while the competitor just wants faster things...buggies...I think it's not just shortcourse that the numbers are dwindling for...every club I've been to has had a dramatic drop in numbers...no ones coming through to racing anymore...the kids all want screaming nitro cars because they go fast...until they break down then they lose interest then you see hundreds of cars on eBay in the spares and repairs section..what we need is to get them at school events and at other shows...
and 65 other pre 1998 iconic rc cars....

Nosram Novak Orion lrp Reedy Turnigy Futaba Schumacher proline

ACTIVE SCALE MODELS.CO.UK........better than some other model shop's ive been too...
Old 14-09-2014

To be honest I share your concerns and thats the exact reason why I started looking at this series.
There is a massive divide between people rocking up at clubs with their christmas/brithday present or impluse purchase RTR and the peopl who race regularly and and have made the investment in LiPos, ESC etc

All the Torment cup is is simple idea to gain numbers at clubs, regionals, even nationals (if they'd have us ) all by creating a simple class of ultra standard trucks, open source set-ups and a clear support.

As for the scrutineering question. As I said the idea is the cup will be self administered within the normal racing class by a 'local admin' seperate from the meeting officials using either a box fresh truck as or the manual for the truck, they can clear up issues as they arise, the "he has X on his truck and thats not stock" can be dealt with pretty simply because the rules are VERY simple. AND if a truck are illegal to the Torment Cup regs they are still classed in the overall regs so they get to keep racing! so their day isn't wasted

All I want to do is help arrest the current decline by offering a simple cheap alternative.
Old 14-09-2014

I see no reason why it could not happen, I for one am more than happy to offer my services to assist with the running and scrutineering of it

Lets make this happen, we dont need the BRCA to do it. If we start the ball rolling and get people involved the right people will start to notice.

Box Stock is box stock, it would not be difficult to spot an illegal car for the class, and as stated they would simply race as part of the main event and not be classified in the cup rankings.
Old 14-09-2014

My Cup spec torment will be making its debut before the end of the month and fingers crossed I'll be at some bigger regional series' too before the start of next years nationals

Last edited by RobChalmers; 15-09-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 15-09-2014

Where's that taking place?

I see DJ Medic of RC Adventures is also bigging up the Torment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmM6jO7wYE
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobChalmers View Post
My Cup spec torment will be making its debut before the end of the month and finger crossed be at some bogger regional serie' too before the start of next years nationals
Are you coming to A1 for the last round of the SC Nats then?

Would be interested to see how it goes
Old 15-09-2014

Do It
Old 15-09-2014

That would be ace - I'll see if I can get a pass-out from the Missus!
Old 20-09-2014

Not going to make the last round of the Nats.... Alternate booking.