Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 24-03-2014

Default No idea on what pinion size - sv2

I feel dumb just asking this as im sure its r.c basics, but its something i really dont understand. I will be using a 10.5t motor and the kit spur (think its 83t) However i have no idea about gear ratios and dont have a clue which pinion size i will need. Help!!
Old 24-03-2014

Depends on the track you are running at, length of straights etc. but a good place to start would be around 23T pinion. If you are finding you are flat out half way down the straights then go for a bigger pinion.
Old 25-03-2014

I'd have thought you'd want to have an FDR of around 6.5-8 depending on your track layout and the characteristics of the motor itself.

The final drive ratio allows you to compare your gearing with other drivers like for like even though the internal gearing on each car is slightly different. This is much more accurate than just comparing pinions and spurs with other people. Take into account that not all motors have the same power characteristics and you may find that someone with a Speed Passion might gear totally differently from someone with an LRP for example. Add speedo boost and turbo into the mix and it can be quite a minefield.

I've got a feeling the biggest pinion you will manage with that spur is approx 26 though (FDR 8.24). Just to put things into perspective, that's roughly where you would gear a Speed Passion 7.5 or 8.5. With a 10.5, you're probably going to need to get a smaller spur gear (71 or 76) to get the ratio you need.

You can work out the Final Drive Ratio as follows:

Spur / Pinion X Internal ratio (2.58 for the SV2)

71 / 24 X 2.58 = FDR 7.63

I've not run a 10.5 myself, but looked at a few set ups on Petit for gearings. By all means put the biggest pinion on your have and see what happens!

HTH
Old 25-03-2014

Ok slowly getting my head around this

Another stupid question but i cant find in the manual if its 48dp or 64dp pinions i need.
Old 25-03-2014

48dp.

64dp is largely an on road thing.