Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-05-2007

I think that point Im trying to make with the quote of the prices is the following, if it can be shipped to USA and sold there at a profit for £200 why is it £270 over here and dont give me sales tax or any other excuse. There is still a vast profit being made be A the manufacturer, B the Shop.

Now do I want to pay that premium for a British product?? err no and certainly not when I can run the gauntlet and get it shipped here for less even £10 less is enough for me to try my luck.

I and many otheres dont have a vast pot of cash and I look for the best deals where ever I can find them and Im not fussy, if you offer me a world beating price I will shop with you, if its the shop in Japan or Hong Kong then bet your ass I'm going to send my business over there.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I am fed up with rip off UK, we are taxed then taxed some more for our luck and then whatever we think we have left is taxed as well. I know shops have to make a profit and so do distributers so its not all your fault however, I do think that margins can be cut a little and not hurt anyone too badly, you never know you might sell more.

Sorry rant over and sorry if I offended anyone.
Come to the blue side and feel the love!!
Old 04-05-2007

Send a message via MSN to b4rs

or you could jut move to america or dig a tunnel?

[img=http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4506/userbartemp.jpg]

"mardaves are the future of sport electric!"
"yea, if youve only got 30 pound to spend..."

Old 04-05-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_Tastic View Post
I think that point Im trying to make with the quote of the prices is the following, if it can be shipped to USA and sold there at a profit for £200 why is it £270 over here and dont give me sales tax or any other excuse. There is still a vast profit being made be A the manufacturer, B the Shop.

Now do I want to pay that premium for a British product?? err no and certainly not when I can run the gauntlet and get it shipped here for less even £10 less is enough for me to try my luck.

I and many otheres dont have a vast pot of cash and I look for the best deals where ever I can find them and Im not fussy, if you offer me a world beating price I will shop with you, if its the shop in Japan or Hong Kong then bet your ass I'm going to send my business over there.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I am fed up with rip off UK, we are taxed then taxed some more for our luck and then whatever we think we have left is taxed as well. I know shops have to make a profit and so do distributers so its not all your fault however, I do think that margins can be cut a little and not hurt anyone too badly, you never know you might sell more.

Sorry rant over and sorry if I offended anyone.
I'm deeply offended, your comments are unacceptable to me as an individual and the government of this fair country as an orginisation as a whole!
Without your taxes where would this country be hey, for heavens sake man do you have no sense of civic responsibility?
Old 04-05-2007

As soon as you find the good civic responsibility of all the near do wells, lightfeet, cut purses and other pond dwellers that WE let into power the I will kindly tell you where I keep mine.

And your only worried where you next overtime cheque is coming from if we all stop paying taxes!!!
Come to the blue side and feel the love!!
Old 04-05-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
that's the bit that sucks. made in the UK, shipped to america, sold for a profit by the shop in america, shipped back to UK AND still cheaper than getting it here!!
It amazes me that an Mtroniks ESC, made in Yorkshire, shipped to Hong Kong, then back again, is cheaper than buying the same ESC in Modelsport.

But then again in Hong Kong there are no sales taxes, cheap rent and cheap labour.
Old 04-05-2007

Quote:
As soon as you find the good civic responsibility of all the near do wells, lightfeet, cut purses and other pond dwellers that WE let into power the I will kindly tell you where I keep mine.

And your only worried where you next overtime cheque is coming from if we all stop paying taxes!!!
It's true, please keep paying them to cover my overtime this B/H Monday, I need the money for the HB Cyclone D4 soon to arrive at my LHS from whence I ordered it!
Old 04-05-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

You think our taxes are being spent well, best not go look at how overdrawn in Europe, old Gordon Brown is. I would happily spend my money in the UK and it's associated Taxes, if I seen policemen on the beat, localy, footpaths not dangerous, reasonable roads, a chance of seeing a consultant in a hospital without waiting 18 months.... etc etc.... our taxes are squandered, it comes to something, it is easier for an immigrant coming into the country to get housing etc than it is for a working family.

And don't even get me going on employment and the type of jobs this government thinks is good for the UK....
Old 04-05-2007
Mad Member

Quote:

Shops over here are usually struggling to make money, they aren't ripping anyone off. Based on those prices if you take off the VAT in the UK then factor in rent, rates and staff wages (US minimum wages work out at £2.60 per hour at the moment) you would probably find the US shops are paying the same trade price as the UK shops for the kit but they will actually be making a bigger profit even though the retail prices are much less.

Yes, profit margins for the distributors can easily be cut, dropping all driver sponsorship and discounting and not bothering with customer support would reduce their outgoings easily. A bit difficult to cut down on the rent, rates, utilities, wages and taxes.

Tamiya can be commended, they discount the prices in Europe so it means it costs roughly the same to buy them in the UK as it does from Japan.
Old 04-05-2007
Mad Member

It's the items made in the UK which make the least amount of sense as that would make them more expensive for a shop in the USA to get hold of them, narrowing there margins to sell the item at a competitive price. Yet you can still have one posted back to the UK for less than you can by it from a shop in the UK.

Kits wise I personally don't think there is a lot to be saved, postage for large parcels is quite pricey and if you do end up paying import duty or VAT then the saving is really negligable. It's the small items like wishbones, shocktowers, screws and the like which sell for $8 abroad or £8 in the UK were the money is saved as the postage cost are generally pretty similar whether buying from the UK of the US.

On a slightly different tangent the other reason for buying from the USA, Japan or Hong Kong etc etc is that the websites are far more user friendly to order items (and have up to date stock info) from and know exactly how much your bill will end up being.
I hate to say it but it's customer service. I can go onto a US store website put my items in the shopping basket get a quote for postage pay my bill and 4 days late it's on my door step. If theres a problem the money has been credited back and I have had an email within a day stating what the problem is. The couple of UK model shops I have ordered from online have varied the postage price, and more annoyingly you find out when your parcel arrives that something was out of stock. You then have to ring the shop to find and when you get the replacement, the shop won't give you a refund, doesn't do the courteous thing and email you to say we don't have it in stock, then they want some more money to post the item out that you have sinced replaced from somewhere else.

I know that not all UK model shops are like this and that most of them will bend over backwards to try and help you out.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 05-05-2007
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

read my earlier post our xx4 cost me 50 quid less from states inc postage packaging and vat than anyway here in the UK, and thats not coming in the back door thats straight forward over the counter, scale model kits don't pay import duty, nether do replica kits, only trains for some weird reason, but vat is payable even then 1 xxxcr saved me 40 quid
Old 05-05-2007

[quote=terry.sc;37556]Shops over here are usually struggling to make money, they aren't ripping anyone off. Based on those prices if you take off the VAT in the UK then factor in rent, rates and staff wages (US minimum wages work out at £2.60 per hour at the moment) you would probably find the US shops are paying the same trade price as the UK shops for the kit but they will actually be making a bigger profit even though the retail prices are much less.

Yes, profit margins for the distributors can easily be cut, dropping all driver sponsorship and discounting and not bothering with customer support would reduce their outgoings easily. A bit difficult to cut down on the rent, rates, utilities, wages and taxes.

Tamiya can be commended, they discount the prices in Europe so it means it costs roughly the same to buy them in the UK as it does from Japan.[/quote]

O.k. so it's time to come clean now as Terry's bought up the subject of Tamiya, whilst I try and support our LHS who in return give me fair trade in prices on cars & equipment I'm upgrading, I don't buy everything from there. The main reason for that being that my son & I run Tamiya's in TC class.
I'm not sure where Terry's getting his figures from or even where he's getting his supply of Tamiya kits from? Our LHS hasn't stocked anything above a TT01 for years as they say they can't buy them at a cost which would make them competitive with the other manufacturers, they didn't even stock a TB02.
The last I heard the crappy, crappy U.K. distributor for Tamiya didn't even bring in the TRF415's & the TB Evo IV's & V's, the latter of which we run. At the time we bought our Evo V's Fusion Hobbies we're advertising them at £399.00 we bought ours from a very well known RC store in Japan for £195.00 each which included shipping and several spares such as wishbones, body posts, bumpers etc.
Clearly I may have lost touch as I as I havn't bought a Tamiya kit in the U.K. for years just the odd spare part from U.K. suppliers when desperate.
As far as I can see Tamiya, and their U.K. distributor, do little to nothing for those wanting to run their cars in the U.K..
Old 05-05-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
I think that point Im trying to make with the quote of the prices is the following, if it can be shipped to USA and sold there at a profit for £200 why is it £270 over here and dont give me sales tax or any other excuse.
Sorry but the sales tax/VAT does make a huge difference. If you are going to moan about prices/taxation at least compare like with like and add 17.5% to any tax-free foreign price.

And by the way, it certainly isn't the shops who are making the money on RC goods.
Old 05-05-2007

removed double post
Old 05-05-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramey View Post
As far as I can see Tamiya, and their U.K. distributor, do little to nothing for those wanting to run their cars in the U.K..
Put bluntly, RC racing is not part of the Hobby Company's business model.

I'm pretty sure they bring in one batch of every car, but only the minimum that they have to order to keep their contract with Tamiya.

TT-01's are relatively easy to get at a very, very good price now (where shops can make a decent profit selling the whole setup with Acoms gear for £99).
Old 05-05-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
read my earlier post our xx4 cost me 50 quid less from states inc postage packaging and vat than anyway here in the UK, and thats not coming in the back door thats straight forward over the counter, scale model kits don't pay import duty, nether do replica kits, only trains for some weird reason, but vat is payable even then 1 xxxcr saved me 40 quid
And a XX4 is a scale model of what, exactly?

"Scale model" means diecast replicas and plastic assembly kits, not RC cars that come under the category "Toys"

Import duty is only 4% anyway, it's the VAT and clearance fees that make the difference.

For the record, I make £25 on a XX4, not really a lot of room for cutting my margin there.
Old 05-05-2007

Dom i don't think anyone is slagging of any shop, it seams to be the importers/ distributors that are at the brunt of all these comments.
we know the model shop are on small margins, and burly keeping there heads above water,
but as per your comment re xx4, it represent a (1/10th scale model kit working or none working)of a Baja bug sand racer, and the bit in comments() is from the UK customs and excise web site
it Say's all scale model kits ether working or none working (except trains)are exempt from import duty but liable for vat when import from abroad.
but as u say even with that one top at 4% would only add 5 quid so still 45 quid cheaper from abroad,