Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 05-10-2008

Default X6 build issues

OK, just building up my first X-6 and have a couple of issues.

First of all, despite tapping the holes first as suggested, the rear most mounting holes for the front plate have split where the end of the screws go in on top of the chassis. This has happened on both sides. The screws still tighten, but obviously this is a concern, not to mention disappointing. Has anyone else has this problem, and is it likely affect performance or durability?

Secondly, when mounting the gearbox, there is no suggested base line set-up for the height. The instructions say to refer to the set-up sheet, which says '0'. The problem is, when I slot the gearbox into position, the tabs do not sit flush with the gearbox mounts. If I were to torque down the mounting screws with no spacers, the tabs will bend, or possibly break. What gives?

Lastly, when running lipo, do you grind down the slots between the cells so the packs sits as low as possible?

Think that's it for now

Cheers,
Scotty
Old 05-10-2008

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Hey Scotty -
Are the cracks small things, almost looking like stress fractures? If so, yes that does happen occasionally but has not proven to be a problem. Check out this thread for more details: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11071

The rear bulkhead piece should sit between the rear transmission tabs and the chassis - is that the gap you're talking about? Under the rear tabs only? Once that is in place the transmission should fit well with no spacers. If the front tabs are not fitting down pretty flush, then something else is possibly wrong.

For Lipo, I would strongly recommend NOT grinding down those small braces. Those small sections provide quite a bit of fore-aft stiffness, something which the battery area is lacking. Further, with the LiPo being so light, there doesn't seem to be a disadvantage to running it slightly higher. If you use lead weight to balance the car out, it fits very nicely underneath the battery next to those braces!

~Paul
Old 05-10-2008

Thanks for the quick reply Paul. Man, you must be permanently plugged into Oople!

Regarding the cracks, they're more than stress fractures unfortunately. The screws do tighten though so I'll run as is and see how it goes for now. Somewhat reassuring to read others have had issues here too.

The transmission will not bolt down flush as far as I can tell. There is a fore / aft rock such that if I bolt down the front, the rear tabs will sit high, if I bolt down the rear, the front tabs will sit high. It looks like I need a spacer of some sort either front, rear or both. It's not a big gap. A washer front and rear would probably fix it. Just want to know if it's normal or not.

Thanks for the tip on lipo. I'll leave the braces alone!

Cheers,
Scotty
Old 05-10-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Matty's looked like that at first, don't tighten them right down, and do the front first just pinch them down gently, then the back they will be OK,
Old 05-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

the front holes on most x6's i've seen are cracked or have white stress line but this doesn't affect the car on the track screws have never come loose and this has never caused any sort of problem, never had any problem with the gearbox mounting with no spacers in though
Old 05-10-2008
Mad Member

My gearbox did this when first built, I didnt want to force it so I ran with washers onder. After a couple of months I did a full strip and clean, when I put it back together the gearbox slid in perfect without the washers it must have worn a bit. Mybe try a biy of wet and dry around that area or do as I did.
Old 05-10-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

On the forward gearbox mounting points on the chassis, sometimes there can be little (very little) triangles of moulding left on, which need to be trimmed off. I always run the smallest X Factory shims all round in mine which I've lightly superglued to said mounting points so they don't fall out when putting the gearbox in/out.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-10-2008
Mad Member

Just to make sure: Is there any chance that you have a 3-Gear tranny? Or do you have the one-piece molded shock tower?

If you have both the 4-Gear and the two-piece tower (molded bulkhead & CF tower) look at the tiny triangular areas as Dan suggests. These are a small molding issue and must be trimmed. All four chassis bosses where the tranny fits should be flat.

If you have either the 3-Gear or the one-piece molded tower, that may be the problem.

Early Kits came with 3-Gear & one-piece tower. Current production is 4-Gear & 2-piece tower. The various combinations do work, but different shimming is required. Best is to have either the early combination or the later version, but not to mix them up.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 06-10-2008

Thanks everyone. I've trimmed the 'triangle' flashing and it seems OK now. I guess I was expecting it to locate a bit more securely. With the screws torqued down evenly it seems fine.

Cheers,
Scotty
Old 06-10-2008
Mad Member

Good to hear, Scotty. Now please go have a great time standing on top of the podium!

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC