Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 26-01-2020

Default B74 Advice

Hi all,

I’m in the market for a new 4wd currently running a B6.1 with a B6.2 on order

Would make sense for me to go for the B74 but I’ve read some things about them on another forum that put me off - hard to setup, not easy to drive and a few issues with parts quality out the box?

I’ll be doing my majority of racing on Astro - Mendip Tiverton etc,
Tivvy is fairly low grip and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the car in low grip conditions and what your thoughts were?

All help and opinions appreciated, other than that I will be looking into a XB4....

Cheers Cal
Old 26-01-2020

What about Schumacher L1 evo? Stay British!
Old 26-01-2020

I’ve just sold my L1 would like to stick with the associated if I can like to have them all matching
Old 26-01-2020

We have run the 74 since it came out and apart from getting the rdrp rack to sort the crazy kit bump steer it has worked well. Only part we have broken is the rear wing mount last weekend at the GP on the big table top

Setup wise the lad had his best National result at boughton with the car using the centre diff and softer roll bars / springs

At the GP last weekend he put it p53 overall out fo a 140 odd which considering it was only our second meeting on carpet with it it worked really well and was easier to drive than his 2wd he reckons !

The car imo works well now we have found some base setups and the ae team have been very helpful at regionals to get the car working for us.
AE B74
AE T6.1
AE SC6.1

Kits and parts supplied by:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/[/size]

My Feedback thread: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...945#post691945
Old 27-01-2020

Cracking result well done! Nice to hear some positive things about the car that’s one thing I read on RC tech was about the bump steer, at least there is an alternative rack to cure it...
Old 27-01-2020
oOple Advertiser

Hi,

No 100% but I think the bump steer in kit form was only at low ride heights.
(As run on carpet etc.)

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 27-01-2020

You can just remove the spacers from the kit steering ballstud set up and it will remove the bumpsteer. That's how lots of people run it.
Old 11-04-2020

A friend of mine has a B74, he runs in on carpet and he's going through a lot of spur gears. Either stripping teeth of melting them. Any advice pleae?
Old 12-04-2020

Change the pads for LCF if the originals are still in and set the slipper properly.
The std white pads are a little inconsistent in feel and with them the slipper isn't as easy to setup as they change quite a bit with temperature.
But most importantly, make sure the slipper doesn't slip excessively. Melting spurs is a sign of the slipper being set too loose. It's only there to protect the transmission from shocks on on power landings etc on a 4wd, not to slip all the time.
Old 12-04-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
Change the pads for LCF if the originals are still in and set the slipper properly.
The std white pads are a little inconsistent in feel and with them the slipper isn't as easy to setup as they change quite a bit with temperature.
But most importantly, make sure the slipper doesn't slip excessively. Melting spurs is a sign of the slipper being set too loose. It's only there to protect the transmission from shocks on on power landings etc on a 4wd, not to slip all the time.

Thanks that's very helpful, under braking the pinion jumps teeth on the spur gear, the mesh between the spur and the pinion seems to be set ok, but it ends up stripping teeth of the spur.

Any help with this problem please.
Old 12-04-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treedudeben View Post
Thanks that's very helpful, under braking the pinion jumps teeth on the spur gear, the mesh between the spur and the pinion seems to be set ok, but it ends up stripping teeth of the spur.

Any help with this problem please.
How tight is the mesh between the pinion & spur set? You want the bare minimum of backlash between them. In the olden days, people would tell you that you would set the mesh, with a piece of paper between the gears.
Old 13-04-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
How tight is the mesh between the pinion & spur set? You want the bare minimum of backlash between them. In the olden days, people would tell you that you would set the mesh, with a piece of paper between the gears.
That, plus make sure there is no play in any bearing and that the slipper mount/motor mount hasn't come loose.
With everything OK and the mesh set properly jumping teeth should not be happening.