Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 27-03-2006
Administrator

Default Compressor ??

I fancy getting a compressor
B&Q used to sell cheap compressors, around £50, with around 6 Litre reservouirs, I have my own moisture trap and pressure guage thing so i would guess these things would be fine for air brushing. But, they no longer seem to have the cheap ones.
Anyone know of a decent cheap compressor anywhere ? I have been using a small borrowed one until now.
Old 27-03-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

6l is pretty small Jim, I use a 24l reservoir on mine and that isn't to bad as the pump doesn't have to cut in to often (annoying the neighbours to...) Machine mart was where I got mine http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000111845 and I know it is a little more than what you want to pay, but unless you are willing top buy a 'silent' one, then you would be better off buying one that doesn't need the pump running to much (apart from the noise, they also have a max 'on time' and min 'rest tiem').
Old 27-03-2006
Administrator

not sure of the one I was using, its a spenny one but really small, might have been smaller than 6L actually. But ran constantly and got really hot.

I dont want owt too big, not bothered about noise so much but then ive never heard anything but fairly quiet ones, are some quite loud ? im in the cellar so can stand having a lil bit of noise if its not too loud.
The one you mentioned just looks a bit overkill for me because I just dont paint that much, would I have overheating / noise problems with the 6L version of that one do you think steve?
Old 27-03-2006

probably not, depends on how long in one 'period' you are spraying. If I am doing a main colour on a TC shell, it will come on once or twice for that colour on a 24l tank, on buggies it isn't so much of an issue.

For noise, get yourself a kitchen cabinet from B+Q, 1000mm one is ideal and a pair of the cheapest doors they do, build it and sit the whole unit on some non-slip rubber matting (or an off-cut of thick carpet) and then just line the inside with stuff that will deaden the noise, as it does get kinda annoying after a while.

If you get a cabinet, you can then chuck some chipboard or something on top and have a spraying station, lol.
Old 31-03-2006
Administrator

I got a lil one, see how this one goes, from screwfix £65 including free delivery..
all good fun apart from it came broken... bah! so, they are bringing a new one on monday.

Ave a look at this output Steve, not sure what im looking at here.

I have a moisture trap which MIGHT replace that big brass "thing" and screw in there somehow but ive not tried it yet so im not sure.. I just wondered if you had somet like that on your compressor steve and if there are adaptors that convert that odd looking thing to more normal-ness ??
Old 31-03-2006

I've got a question... What happened to “I never wanna paint another shell as long as i live!” ha ha

Reminds me of them days you have your worst ever hangover... but you always end up doing it again.
Old 31-03-2006
Administrator

I must be just mad for it! lol
I have 4/5 cars just about on mi lap for reviews and need to spray em up! I wish I could just do somet simple but I have been looking at other painters shells on line and its infected me with the desire to paint as well.
Old 31-03-2006
Grammarator

Send a message via Skype™ to emzy

... and my b4 remember. And about 65 12th scale shells... I'm bored of plain pink!
Old 31-03-2006

if you contact Screwfix, they should have a brass 'reducer' to take it down to the thread size you will need to your airbrush hose, or, do what I did, buy some air hose and the correct fitment to go onto the compressor and then route the airline to a more convenient point for your airbrush line.

and I know what you mean about infectious.... I have some 'testing' to do this weekend for an affect to go on a hyper 8 shell this week, and if it comes off, I can see a few requests for it.
Old 31-03-2006
Administrator

Right there steve, that statement about compressor noise, I thougt you might be a bit sensitive until i turned this one on....
OMG !!!!
no way, its going im afraid.. I paint at 2am, theres no way I can use it
I have used 2 compressors before, and both are like fridges, I never realised they could be THAT loud!
So, im using a dentist one this week and probably will take it to mi cellar for future use.. the only draw back is the size, its got 2 compressors and a 50Litre tank.. its massive but its free (I know a dentist!).
Old 01-04-2006

Dude, if you can get me one of them, I would be well chuffed. My comp is stuffed inside a kitchen unit, padded out and rubber mounted, mainly cause the neighbours complained about the noise, and like you, I spray late (after me kids have gone to bed) and have been known to be there till way past midninght.

The worst thing is, when you are doing some delicate work, it is all quite, then all of a sudden your comp kicks in and makes you jump!!
Old 01-04-2006
Administrator

Aye mate ill have a sniff about, there was another which got binned but ill see if he has another some time or if he knows another dentist with a spare they dont want.
Old 01-04-2006
Mad Member

i got one of those compressors its ok just let the tank down from the valve underneath if you need a water trap to fit machine mart do them there not that much hope this is any help
Old 01-04-2006

you HAVE to have a moisture trap, as you only need a little water in the air and thats the Faskolor paint ruined.
Old 07-04-2006
Administrator

Well, I got the BIG compressor in my lil workshop now, the only problem is that my pressure guage / moisture trap wont fit until I get an adaptor, so at the moment Im running off the compressor straight..
Now, this compressor pumps up to 100psi and then switches off, theres no control over that, so to get the right pressure I have to ALMOST turn the valve off completely.
even worse, every time I press the airbrush the pressure is high then drops down to the low rate I need.

So, all good fun, I had to paint an important shell last night and couldn't do fine details at all
Old 07-04-2006
Administrator

I think I need a pressure regulator also, when will it end!
Old 07-04-2006

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2015&g=103