Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 08-12-2013

Default Looking for SW/Devon Micro racers intersted in Saturday Racing ?

Hi All,

Thought it was about time we reached out to see if there are any micro owners in devon/south west who might be interested in Saturday racing?
Me and my business partner run sos-mmrc and pretty much every saturday we and a small group of friends (4-6 people) go racing in local Halls.

Were based in Bideford North Devon and the hall we have ben using most recently is in northam 2.5 miles from us as it is one of the larger halls around at 22m long by 8m wide with plenty of comfortable pitting area and nice kitchen etc. We have enough carpet to cover most halls and a basic infra red timing system from carl at rctiming.com. It may not be as flash as the amb kit but the transponders are under £20 each.
We usually setup a mix of carpeted and uncarpeted sections with a selcetion of features/jumps.

For some reason photo bucket has gone dodgy so cant upload more pics now but will as soon as i can?

Any way were a friendly yet competaive bunch who really don't take things to seriously and have a good laugh while we're racing.
Would be great to get some more people interested as it would improve the racing by having more heats and extra marshals.

Cheers All

T

Last edited by SOSx; 08-12-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: trying to get picture working?
Old 08-12-2013

Default More pictures

For some reason photobucket is only playing up on mozzilla so I can add a few more pics now.

Old 29-12-2013

Not much interest shown so far but thought i'd add a few more pictures (please excuse the quality of my indoor phone pics) of our last couple of layouts and also our 30mx10m astro track that we use in the summer.

This is Northam Village hall. 22mx7.3m

Bradworthy village hall

Our astro track

Old 29-12-2013

When do race outdoors!! What sort off scale cars do you race outside !! Do you have a postcode?? Is it electric or nitro track
Old 30-12-2013

Hi Team 36,

We normally race on most Saturdays on the astro track in the summer (although often sundays as well). The track is located at EX22 7XH about 10 miles from Bideford.

We have been racing both Micro's and 1/8th the last couple of years although the track is a bit small for the 1/8th so we're considering moving over to 1/10th this year as it would suite them better. So most liekely this year it will be 1/14th and 1/10th.

Where are you based and what do you currently drive?
Old 30-12-2013

I have 1/10 scale 2wd & 4wd I'm from wellington Somerset I race Tiverton & mendip I have few mates that are from North Devon I could be up 4 summer racing down your way !!
Old 30-12-2013

im about 1hour 20 mins away near Plymouth
Old 30-12-2013

Hey great some interest

Team 36 -good stuff. We've been thinking about coming along to Tiverton to try and meet a few more racers from around here. And with our track having track width of about 2.5m suits 1/10th and micros better than 1/8th. Do you're friends in N. Devon also race?

Hi Johnathon may - What do you drive? You a micro, 10th or 8th man?
Old 30-12-2013
Mad Member

Loads of us race micro every week in Paignton in devon and 10th in Torquay in devon and race at Tiverton during the summer, Bideford is a long way to drive for us but track looks good, how long does racing last,
Old 30-12-2013

Hi Rondoolaa,

What sort of micro no.'s do you manage to get down in Paington? I presume your the torbay micro racers club?

Racing normally lasts about 6 -7 hrs.
We normally run 5 min heats and 7 min finals.

Although with bradworthy hall we can have it all day for the same price if we want to.
Old 30-12-2013

Its a real shame but It seems like we must be pretty much the only micro owners / racers in N.Devon?
Old 30-12-2013

we get between 15 and 20 on a Friday night at torquay
Old 30-12-2013

Ah to have those sort of no.s

I don't know if either of you are involved with the running of it? But if you are, when you first started did advertise anywhere locally?
Old 30-12-2013

Default G

I have two friends both rc races i will let them know about your club! They are both from North Devon
Old 30-12-2013

Cheers Team 36. Where do the guys you know from N devon currently race Tiverton I presume?
Old 30-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSx View Post
Its a real shame but It seems like we must be pretty much the only micro owners / racers in N.Devon?
Far from it tbh..there are many RC racers in the South West region as a whole, many running micro and 1/10th.

TBH...most racers just travel a lot!

Our club at Mendip RC Raceway (Weston-super-Mare) get anything from 20 to 60 racers at our outdoor club days, which run fortnightly on Sundays all year, and we get racers from Devon, Somerset, Avon, Wiltshire, S.Wales, Cornwall...and more!

WORM (also Weston) race micros indoors twice a month on Tuesday nights all year round and get people from a smaller radius as it's evenings.

Tiverton get even more than we do at Mendip through the summer...again, they draw racers from all over as well.

It could be a good idea to come out to the other clubs and meet everyone! We all share the same racers at the moment, so you'd see what's already going on club wise, the types of tracks and racing we do, and spread the word about yours
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 30-12-2013

Hi Blue_Pinky,

We've actually been watching your track progression with interest since you moved to the Mendip site and started with the astro track.
We have all talked about coming along to one of the Sundays.

Its a shame the tuesday evening micro racing is simply not do-able with work and family compitments as that is the class we all own and have all been running longest. Do you also race micro's on your astro or do you only run the 10th?

Although most of us have just been over to celebrate matt's Birthday and it seems we are all in agreement that we need to make the switch to 10th from 8th, infact Matt has just informed us that he has pre-ordered himself the new Durango as a bday present to himself . We all love our 8ths but both our track suits the 10th much better with 2.4-2.5m lane width and there are just so many more venues in the SW to go and race at in general. I'm really hoping the SW regionals will take off as that would be perfect for us.

I had assumed that there would be lot more rc owners/racers based in or close to N.Devon hiding in the woodwork but after asking on pretty much all the forums over the past couple of years i've found almost none. I'm actually starting to think we might actually be the only micro owners (or at least racers) in N.Devon, we did meet one but he has since moved to China with work.

Team 36 - Do either of the guys you know in N.Devon own or race micro's or just 10th?
Old 30-12-2013

They both race 1/10 off road at Tiverton they both keen to have a go at your club as they said it would cut the cost with traveling up to somerset!!
Old 30-12-2013

Team 36 - If they're on oople you should point them in the direction of this thread? If not pursuade them to join oople then point them to the thread
Old 31-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSx View Post
Hi Rondoolaa,

What sort of micro no.'s do you manage to get down in Paington? I presume your the torbay micro racers club?

Racing normally lasts about 6 -7 hrs.
We normally run 5 min heats and 7 min finals.

Although with bradworthy hall we can have it all day for the same price if we want to.

As johnathan said we get between 15 and 20 racers on a Friday night in Paignton,
The clubs actually in Preston, half way between Paignton and torquay,
We are Torbay Micro Racing Club,
We race carisma gtb's, emb1's and losi mini 8ights and the odd lrp shark.
Vids can be seen in the YouTube link below

If you race for between 6 and 7 hrs it may be worth the visit, better than driving for 2hrs for 2hrs racing :-)