Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Atomic Carbon

Old 28-06-2011

Default cr2 geared diff

has anyone tryed the geared diff out of the losi desert truck in there cr2 to see how it works does it make it better to drive.................
Old 29-06-2011

I know when Smartalec was running his CR2, he had tried (and liked) the gear diff in it. I think you need the specific desert truck gearbox as well as the diff, as its slightly wider than the std box... Maybe pm him and ask him about the set up? I've no idea what oil he was running or had experimented with.

Hope that helps...
Old 30-06-2011

to run the gear diff you need the desert truck tranny case and the gear diff, then it will bolt right in.
Old 30-06-2011

I have been running one in my PSI conversion for well over a year now and not looked at it once! It spot on!

I have the PSI 4 gear tranny now - where as previously I have used the desert truck tranny with the external idler gear.

Regards
Gareth
Old 30-06-2011

Gazmidas.... I also have a PSI gearbox - but it understand there were two sorts - one for geared & one for ball diffs? Is this correct??

Would like to give a geared diff a go - getting fed up with re-building the ball version every other meeting
Old 30-06-2011

yes, there was 2 psi cases, one for the ball diff, and one for the gear diff which is even harder to find. I run the ball diff but since I run a 13.5 on carpet (with alot of turbo/boost) I just leave the diff alone, sure, it may possibly be the crunchy, nastyest diff you will ever feel, I don't want to bother messing with it often. I have a freashly rebuilt and broken in diff in my rear motor car that I could swap over with ease but it would just get shredded any ways. I tried to get a gear diff tranny case then the day I was going to pay for alot of PSI parts I was told the company was sold
Old 30-06-2011

My feeling by using the geared diff was not as good as with the ball diff.
The gear diff felt rly good on a high tracion surface with new tires. But the car was going to be much slower with a little bit weared tires compared to the ball diff.

Right, the geared diff needs no rebuilding, but I was happier with the ball diff cause of the better driving and so I changed it back...
Old 01-07-2011

I race every tuesday at Moto Arena with the gear diff which is on a mixture of carpet and tarmac. It causes no problems on either surface and I manage to be in the top 3 the majority of weeks.

I did however do something to it last tuesday, sounds like a tooth or something has broke off on of the transfer gears! Borrowed a 22 qualified 2nd, broke the steering linkage whilst running around 3 seconds behind the leader in the final....

Still prefer my psi though