Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 18-08-2014

Default Buggy's on carpet

Hi all..... need some advise...

We have a good level of interest in running buggies at our club but i am concerned that there may be the right tyres or wrong tyres to use..

there are stories of buggies causing damage to carpet...

So whats the truth... I am guessing there are clubs running Buggies on carpet.. what do you allow to be used..

Thanks in advance.
Shane
GERCC
Old 18-08-2014

The tyre of choose at our club is mini spikes on the rear or blocks and cut staggers on the front with 99% of people running a yellow compound. The only real damage as such other than general wear is from shock towers when they roll and lose chassis screws. As a club we have a shock tower protectors rule now which seems to help prevent a lot of damage.

Will - Silverstone RC
Old 18-08-2014
Mad Member

Normally it would be yellow pins on carpet, certainly on the rear...

As long as people check their chassis for loose screws and ideally run tower protectors as has been said you should be fine!!
Old 18-08-2014
Mad Member

There are two areas that buggies cause damage to carpet. First is the shock towers, insist on shock tower protectors to ensure shock mount screws and parts can't dig into and rip the carpet. If there are other classes racing then avoid allowing the buggies to run minipins or spikes as they will dig into the carpet and rip up the top surface of the carpet removing any additive and rubber laid down on the racing line.

Buggies work quite happily on slicks, road tyres or ContactRC foams from Schumacher. They also last considerably longer than normal buggy tyres, any of them will last months.
As a mainly touring car/GT12 club to protect our carpet we don't allow any buggy spikes at all, but it's no loss as buggies go much better and faster on carpet with foams.
Old 19-08-2014
Mad Member

If you allow additive for the TCs (probably?) just get the VBC SE slicks, about 15 quid a set IIRC.

Buggy sized, buggy characteristics (rather than running TC style tyres) and with a bit of additive, plenty of grip.
Old 19-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As I said on facebook and many have stated here the real issue is the shock towers / loose screws.

In my experience minispikes definitely fluff the carpet much less than minipins, very little in fact.

I know some clubs run the VENOM tires on the rear, sort of a semi-slick ..... naff all grip until they have worn in / picked up a bit of additive from the track surface but who needs / wants mega grip from a buggy anyway?
Old 19-08-2014
Mad Member

They run Venom rear, Stagger front at my club, tried them for the first time last week, and i have to say they work, in fact i had grip to spare, i run a front wing as a shock cover on the front, but I'm going to fit a rear as the rear tower on my car does run higher than the wing (TRF XMW) just in case, other than that, vinyl chassis skins keep the underside slick and snag free, not that I'm ever going fast enough to tear anything haha!

lee

lee
Old 19-08-2014

Pins/spikes fluff the carpet and ruin grip for onroad classes.

I've ran tourers and GT12 on tracks shared with buggies and after every race I am spending a few minutes clearing the carpet fibres from the axles and driveshafts to prevent binding.

I raced my Mardave on an LMP/GT12 only carpet track a couple of weeks ago and what a difference! No carpet fibres at all, just a few specks of foam/additive deposits on the chassis. Grip levels were absolutely epic and extremely consistent over the whole track.

Venoms work well on buggies with additive if temperatures are 12c+, slightly less lateral grip than pins but equal in a straight line.

I've been running Contact RC foams on my Losi 22, wear rate is very good. Grip levels are less than pins but more consistent through the night. Mind you, I wouldn't want to run the buggy at the LMP/GT12 track, it would traction roll at every corner!
Old 19-08-2014

Shane,

Agree with all of the points mentioned, with regards to fluffing the surface, surely all on road drivers still have to face the same conditions following the off road heats so it's still an even playing field?

Understand that there are a lot of on road drivers as GERCC so it gets priority but that evolvement was mainly due to the small size of the previous hall in Innsworth and given the opportunity I'm sure you would grow the membership of the club by offering off road the chance, I'm not convinced in slicks though.

Alternatively as the track changes every week is there not a possibility to run off road on a different night of the week, that way you may find some of the touring guys and girls join in that too and again increase the income into the club?

That would also give the chance for the carpet to be hoovered before racing on a Friday starts and give the tourers a clean track to run on, it would also mean features can be used properly for the off road night.

Just my two pence

Lee
Old 19-08-2014

Shane,

All the points above are good and I agree with all. Every carpet track i have raced at the general rule has always gone with the Schumacher Yellow Mini-pins. Shock tower covers seem to be a sensible rule to enforce too. Maybe as part of scrutineering have the person running it run their hand across the bottom of the chassis to check for loose screws too

I also think the racing off road buggy's on a separate night would also be a very good shout too
Old 19-08-2014

Default Thanks all

This has been very useful so thanks to all

We curently run scrutinearing so will be able to keep an eye on all the cars... the shock tower protection seems to be popular so that will / has been requested but not enforced quite yet.

At the moment we can only run on a Friday night so a seperate day for buggy's is not really on the cards, and currently the GT12 and the Touring car is our main class but there is nothing to say that will not change,,,

This Friday will be the second week for us and buggy's so we will see what turns up,

exciting times...
Old 20-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What time do you start and finish on a Friday and can you remind me of the post code for the new venue (never been).
Hope to see you there
Old 20-08-2014

Hi Shane,

I didn't realise you had already ran a week of buggies, if I'm back in time I'll pop over on Friday too.

So what is the current verdict on tyres, mini pins?

Also just for note, if you do end up running on a separate night, a shop that I visited today down in Devon mentioned at there local club they run on separate nights and turn the carpet over for buggies thus keeping the flattened pile for the tourers /12th etc.

Look forward to seeing how this evolves, it would be good to have a local indoor venue this winter.

BUT it would need to be treated as a proper off road meeting if you want to get numbers up, simply running buggies around a flat touring surface or with 6inch ramps won't attract new drivers.

Hope that helps

Lee
Old 20-08-2014

Agree with all points.

Innworth was far to small to run a good 10th buggy track and thats my main reason for not comming.

With hereford club now closed to off road racing having a local club willing to partake in off road racing is good news.

If your worried about damage to carpet whats the chances of running on a polished floor?

I have to agrees with panch to attract more 10th drivers more exciting features would need to be introduced. There maybe some conern about health and saftey if the jumps get too large but with good marshell placment and a time penaly or ban for stupid behavour i am sure every one will have a good time.

Might pop down on friday for a look what timd do you kick off
Old 20-08-2014

Build it and they will come lol
Old 20-08-2014

Default We are working on it..

HI there... I have uploaded our Club timetable and Directions so hope this helps..

I am on the Info gathering phase at the moment and this has been great so far.. there are lots of things to think about as a chairman which are hard to deal with especially when you are trying to please everyone..

We the current committee are not in a position to run a second night so certainly for the time being this is out of the question.. As for jumps this two has the issue of the members… we currently struggle to meet the timetable as members don’t want to help put the track out and away again so to get jumps out is just not an option…

We used to do this when we were in the old site and we go fed-up with the delays the jumps caused we abandoned them.. I fully understand the whole idea of a buggy is to be an off roader but you just have to meet some of our members :-)
Thanks Guys
Looking forward to seeing some of you on Friday.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Club Time Table.pdf (169.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf GERCC Oxstalls Directions V1c.pdf (194.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by RCMadShane; 20-08-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Directions Attachment to big... had to shrink it :-(
Old 22-08-2014

Do you have storage at the venue Shane? We keep our jumps (and carpet) on site, the jumps are fully manufactured ramps and we just lift them out and in at start at end of night.

Admittedly we spent a long time building them, 2 or 3 days, we now have more than we really need and vary them week to week.

Don't have to be massive, some pics on our FB page of our latest creation, a small set of doubles: (ignore the millions of results sheets!) Scroll down and all our ramp building pics are there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/1066-...=page_internal

A quick video of a bit of a final here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Started the club in Feb I think, 3 mates who used to race, only get 15 on an average night and we're currently using an old AMB20, but more and more people buying cars and joining us every time, mates of mates etc. With winter fast approaching we're really hoping to grow the club and host some bigger meetings.

Know it's slightly off topic but thought you might like to see the track furniture!
Old 22-08-2014

Having re-read your post I understand what you mean now...TC ad buggies on same night. If people want jumps they have to help!!
Old 22-08-2014

We have jumps in all shapes and sizes... at one time buggys and micro's ruled the roost and a couple of members put some good effort into making jumps.. I have not thrown them its just the issue of getting people to help...

Well Friday is here so i look forward to see what turns up..

Fingers crossed all will go well
Old 22-08-2014

Hi Shane,

Popped over tonight to have a look, hall is a great size, hopefully you will be able to bring buggies in and incorporate the jumps / features too, the layout was a bit technical for the buggies and made it slow from what we watched but still its great to see something happening in GLos.

Just a thought and something I mentioned to Gordon, if running a separate evening is a no go then what about 1 friday a month to start with soley for off road with a proper set up, I'm sure we could all chip into the track build?

Also could you PM me with details of who you contact to rent the hall please as I may have some use for it on other nights, also do you know if the same contact is in charge of the grass area directly outside ?

Cheers

Lee