Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Healthy Stuff

Old 22-01-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple
Default *Downsize-me* Weight Loss Discussion, lead by our weight-loss champion Steven Bond.

Hiya, I've made a dedicated thread for folk who have successfully lost weight to share their stories, and for those who wish to lose weight to seek advice.

I'm no pro, although I have lost a few pounds playing on the wii-fit and trying to be more conscious of how much I eat. I'll leave this thread for Steven Bond to take the lead on anyway, as he's our in house weight loss warrior!

Old 23-01-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Over the past 5 months ive managed to loose about 1 and 1/2 stone maybe 2 stone. I havent changed what I eat the only thing that has changed is i now have a car which means i dont walk anywhere any more and i am now working full time..

Not really useful advice but my little story.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 23-01-2011

Default warrior

Warrior?
Well not quite. You could say however that i have seen the light. After many years of abuse i now find that all the shit we eat is not good for you. We all know that. Its not hard to understand. I can say that most blokes are not going to go to weight watchers meetings just to be told whats good for you and whats bad. Things like weight watchers are there to feed on the insecurities of sorry to say "women" all adverts on weight loss are. The simple fact is cut out all the crap you know is not good and excersise. Nature will take care of the rest. How succsessfull you are is determind by how much you want it and your level of willpower.

Some tips

1.. Dont starve yourselve
2.. Keep a food log ( this helped me with the diabetes I could see what effect different types of food made to my blood sugar levels and in what amounts0
3.. Keep a weight log ( I only weigh once a week at the same time. Your weight varies so much from day to day and at different times of day. I do mine Sunday morning, that way you dont pig out saturday night)
4.. Set some realistic goals extreame loss is not good. I started with a hell of a lot of weight. 1 stone a month was possible. When you have only a few stone to loose set your targets more sensible possibly 4-6 months. The main aim is not to just loose weight but get fitter. The fitter you are the easyer everything is and the excersise is easyer. I now have a target of 18 stones in June this year I know my muscle mass is jumping up all the time so its gonna take longer.
5.. Dont always go by weight. A good indication is also Inches.. Measure regularly and you will see the inches drop. This is most times a better inducation than weight loss. As you muscle get bigger you weigh more so inches are the best indicator.
6.. Muscle weighs a lot. Many years I lost 4 stones then it suddenly slowed and stopped. I was hitting big weights at the gym no cardio. I lost faith and thought why bother. Now cardio is 90% of my workouts. Ill sort muscles out after.
7.. Just keep going .. Walking is the best to start with walk walk walk. 30 mins a day mp3 player on headphones in and not matter what the weather just do it.

GET OUT AND DO IT !!

Weight loss only requires one frame of mind
" DO OR DO NOT ! THERE IS NO TRY "
Old 23-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quite right steve, the will power and belief that you can and will succeed is the biggest thing for me. I've set MYSELF small realistic goals to which so far i've exceeded. Another 4lb off this week, so 10lb in total and i'm already feeling the benefits Hitting the gym for full workouts this week coming so hoping to loose my first stone !!!
Old 23-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I was only 30 when i found out id got an under active thyroid,im lucky that i enjoy keeping fit as it keeps the weight off,i think like bondy says its not always good to rely on the scales,enjoy what you are doing,do it right and you will get results,if not have a word with your doc and they should give you a blood test,weight training keeps the metabolizum switched on when you not at the gym,fat is just stored energy,muscles need energy so they help to burn the fat when your sitting watching eastenders

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 24-01-2011

Send a message via MSN to Kash

Totaly agree with what bondy says.

The biggest way for me to lose weight was calorie counting. I stuck to roughly 1500 cals more if i'm playing footie etc but that should help you lose roughly 1-2lbs a week.

Its all about a lifestyle change.

Kash
Old 18-07-2011

Loosing weight through diet's are just fads and shouldn't be your main goal, changing your lifestyle through diet and exercise to be more healthy and improve the quality of your life should be your main goal.

Fat is good for you and a good source of energy for your body, it's the carbohydrates that do all the damage. If you don't burn off all the carbs through exercise your body turns them in to fat and stores them around your body. Also if you diet to just loose fat without exercising you will loose fat but also lean body mass (muscle) which is a bad thing, you can loose fat, gain muscle mass without the scales changing much but your body composition (shape) will change and should be the change you strive for not just loosing weight.

I try to follow the Paleo lifestyle of which their are a ton of books out their on the subject and a ton of free info on the link below, yes it does pimp his book a bit but their is still a load of useful information there including a few free ebooks if you signup for the newsletter, one of them does cover fitness through some simple bodyweight exercises, lots of good information on the second link for exercise.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

http://www.alkavadlo.com/
Old 18-07-2011

bondy ,how long does it take for your legs to recover after riding, i am currently commuting from leeds to castleford which is 25 mile round trip, but its taking and age for my legs to recover
Old 18-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Smokes, i've just started riding myself so i know were your coming from, legs like jelly after tonight. 9.8 miles which is the longest ride i've done but i recovered a bit quicker than before
What type of bike are you using ? mountain,hybrid or road bike.
The only reason i ask is because i tried a mountain bike but because of the knobbly tyres i found it hard to keep a consistant pace, I was fighting the bike, if you know what i mean. But on the bike i eventually bought (Hybrid) with road tyres it was a lot better. Keep at it though fella cos you will enjoy it, i am
Old 18-07-2011

I used to do 100miles week about 4 years ago and stopped, just wondering how long it take to get fit again. I am riding a mountian bike with schwabe marathons ( 1.50 wide and running a 100psi in them )on it but i am so slow on the hills compared to how I used to be.... Just trying figure how long it gonna take to get my legs back into shape. As bondy is way way ahead of me in the fitness stakes i thought i'd ask
Old 04-08-2011

Default Legs

I suppose it depends on the fitness level and amount of use. I have got to the stage now
Where my legs dont hurt much at all. But they get a work out everyday. The more you do the quicker you recover..lungs and heart aswell. The main thing to do is keep hydrated. Water is the key.. I didnt drink enough when I just had a bottle on the bike. Now I use a camelpak and get through roughly a litre an hour.

Me and brian shardlow after tonigts muddy run around pines.

And I agree about. Muscle mass and carbs. To begin with it was about getting rid of the bluber..now its about muscle mass and fitness. Ill let the last bit of bluber do its own thing. Was aiming for 18 stone but would be happy with a fit beefy 19 !

Weight loss only requires one frame of mind
" DO OR DO NOT ! THERE IS NO TRY "
Old 22-11-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Been riding the new MTB bike for 9 weeks now and doing 50 miles a week on it. Also been on a diet of 2000 calories a day. Total loss is 16lbs at present which I'm very pleased with.
Old 23-12-2012
Mad Member

joining the downsize me club

after 30 years of being stood on my feet working all day for the last 3 years i have been mainly chained to an office desk .while this certainly has some redeeming features its not good for waistline

I walked past the bathroom mirror the other day and was almost in denial that it was actually me the scales dont lie 15st 11lb

so last two weeks been watching what i eat a bit more and dragged out an old tracksuit (more like a skinsuit for bradley wiggins now) and went for a walk two weeks later i just banged in a 10 mile jog with the local running club (mainly ladies section) there still a lot quicker than me but much easier on the eye to follow

trip to the scales revealed 15 st dead so well pleased I'm never going to see the sub 3 hour marathons i used to run but its a good start and my goal is to get sub 12 stone for next years works xmas do

probably catch up with Bondy at the next worksop in jan

regards to all members of the downsize me club and keep going

fid
Old 23-12-2012
Mad Member

Default New Weight watcher

A certain RC racer told me today he is losing 7 stone next year!! I wont name him! but i Hope he can do it! Lets see if he has the stomach (sorry for that) to come and announce to the world!!
Good luck either way! being healthy is a big plus when you get to over 35!

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 23-12-2012
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Wow great stuff - 7 stone in a year sounds like a big challenge!

Is anyone else making any weight loss pledges in the new year? I would pledge to lose the two stone that I've gained since starting this thread but I like my food too much so instead I'll work on getting out cycling and improving my general fitness levels.

I saw a friend on facebook using www.myfitnesspal.com which seems like a great resource, and makes you realise how many calories are in day to day meals.

Good luck everyone, congratulations on the success so far

Old 24-12-2012

I'll be getting out and about.

I moved a couple of years ago to Cambridge for work and have put on over 2 stone (Ale, tasty tasty Ale)..

Need to loose it!! hehe. I'm using Myfitnesspal as a diary . I hope it helps.

J

ANVIL-GFX