Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 30-12-2011

Default Pred Diff issue?

I ran my pred in anger for the first time today and it took about a minute for the diff (rear) to loosen, i tightened it and it happened again. I seem to be doing it up quite tight (too tight it seems) so that it feels very frictional but it still seems to undo. Is there a tip for keeping them done up or am i doing something wrong???
Can anyone assist me in my plight?
Neil

Hobbywing Xr10 Pro - Savox -Much More - Sanwa

SURREY AND HANTS RADIO CONTROLLED CAR CLUB - SHRCCC
Old 30-12-2011
Administrator

Hmmmmm, clean the parts with motor spray and use good quality threadlock. Check the thrust race and make sure everything greased properly.

Sorry I can't be more help but I've not built a pred diff in a long while myself.
Old 30-12-2011

Neil
The diff on the car should be set pretty tight. As the manual states, it should be VARY hard to turn the crown gear while holding both out drives. One trick that works every time if nothing else does, is to put a drop of thin CA glue, once the diff is adjusted, on the hole inside the diff half with the threaded side. Make sure the glue is thin, in order for it to be able to find it's way into the threaded portion. This will keep the bolt from ratteling loose.
I would how ever follow Jimmy's advice and double check the diff before assembly. If the diff feels gritty, your first bet would be the thrust bearing balls.

Hope this helps
Old 30-12-2011

It used to be the case that getting the thrust race parts in the wrong way round would cause this, but the design may have changed over the years (I last raced an XK98...)
Old 30-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsik View Post
Neil
The diff on the car should be set pretty tight. As the manual states, it should be VARY hard to turn the crown gear while holding both out drives. One trick that works every time if nothing else does, is to put a drop of thin CA glue, once the diff is adjusted, on the hole inside the diff half with the threaded side. Make sure the glue is thin, in order for it to be able to find it's way into the threaded portion. This will keep the bolt from ratteling loose.
I would how ever follow Jimmy's advice and double check the diff before assembly. If the diff feels gritty, your first bet would be the thrust bearing balls.

Hope this helps

Spot on Chaps, i took my X11 out for its 1st run last week, i had the same thing but a quick dab of threadlock on the diff half with the threaded side and it was perfect and silky smooth!
Old 30-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The guys have pretty much covered it all above, clean all the parts and thread lock the diff bolt and inspect/replace any worn parts.

If it keeps coming loose its probably a thrust washer cracked.

As per my build thread I use 4 thust plates per diff as this beefs it up a bit, my diffs lasted ages in my last X11 using this method.

www.rccarshop.co.uk