Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 16-03-2014

Default Xray xb4/2wd or Scumacher cougar kf?

So you have fairly deep pockets, you know what you like the look of. 2wd drive buggys are the order of the day. What would be your choice for astro?

I have never really raced seriously (im crap) but with a stock spec class i might just give it another try.

Your thoughts on these buggies would be appreciated or any others for that matter!
Old 16-03-2014

I have the xray xb4-2wd and it's a awesome car and very strong the quality is brilliant,the car is very easy to work on and drives great nuff sed really
Old 16-03-2014
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

The KF on high grip astro turf is awesome. I've not tested it in the damp yet - however when the grip is there it's the car of choice. Very easy to drive from stock and has so far proven strong for me.

Plus the support is second to none, you cant beat schumachers customer support and team support.
Old 16-03-2014
SHRCCC Legend

Yes.
Old 17-03-2014

+1 for Xray have both 2wd and 4wd well engineered and solid cars.
Old 17-03-2014

This is an interesting topic as we don't see many of the X Rays that haven't been heavily modified with special chassis etc, but we have many KF's at Torch and they really do seem to be the car if choice. Very easy to drive with the usual awesome Schumacher support. You can get the car to drive well on wet astro with some hop up parts, anyone that saw Tom Cockerill at the Torch Xmas special meeting could testify how quick the car is in slippery conditions.
Old 17-03-2014
Mad Member

The problem with these questions are you get the same answer !
99% of racers will promote the car they have/race.

I race Schumacher, my good friend races Xray, both are good in the right hands.
The only thing I would say is that Xray parts seem to be a little more expensive.

Take from that what you will ?
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 17-03-2014

Xray parts may be slightly more expensive but the quality is superior and will probably cost less in the long run as they don't break that often.

I have only had my Xray a short time but I still can't believe how good the quality is.

Paul
Old 17-03-2014

TM2 is a good option. There's also a V2 version available now aswell.
Like you, I consider myself bobbins at racing aswell especially after being away from the hobby for about 25years!!!
However I find my tm2 extremely forgiving of my ability, and really well planted. With a little advice from more experienced racers at my local club, the car now handles like its on rails!!
Old 17-03-2014

Well after finding a brand new boxed schumacher sv2 at a bargain price on the well known auction site i couldnt resist.
Old 05-05-2014

I was wondering if there was any further thoughts on this now the cars were a few months older.
I am looking to treat myself to a new car for summer and wanted to go for one of these.
I know the TM2 is a good car but the fact it only takes shorty packs puts me off, I currently only have saddle packs and the cost of new batteries as well as a car might be hard to slip past the wife
So it is really down to the xray or KF.
How is the belt drive on the kf compared to drive of the xray.
I know it is subjective as well but which is easier to get a decent set up and maintain , i am only an occasional racer well down the pecking order with limited time and skill.
Old 05-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcall View Post
I was wondering if there was any further thoughts on this now the cars were a few months older.
I am looking to treat myself to a new car for summer and wanted to go for one of these.
I know the TM2 is a good car but the fact it only takes shorty packs puts me off, I currently only have saddle packs and the cost of new batteries as well as a car might be hard to slip past the wife
So it is really down to the xray or KF.
How is the belt drive on the kf compared to drive of the xray.
I know it is subjective as well but which is easier to get a decent set up and maintain , i am only an occasional racer well down the pecking order with limited time and skill.
Like you im only an occasional racer with limited skill.

I ended up with a SV2 and as nice as it is everyone using a Schumacher is running the KF so i have bit the bullet and ordered one. The support from Schumacher, advice from other drivers is what swayed it for me over the Xray... Oh and i couldnt swallow the cost of spares for the xray as im sure i will be breaking a few parts in the near future...... I really wanted the Xray, because its a Xray but practicality won in the end. I havnt ran the KF yet so cant comment on durability but havnt heard anything that has made me regret my decision.
Old 05-05-2014

I run the XB4 4wd car car and it is very excellent indeed!

However, the XB4 2WD is not. It can't be. It is just an interim car that was brought out by Xray to satisfy the demand for a 2WD, but with little actual specific 2WD design.

It's a botch up basically. Having said that it can be made to work. If the track you are running on is fairly high grip the car can be raced. On low grip tracks it seems to be poor.

So, until Xray come out with something more specifically designed for 2WD I would avoid it.

JImmy

Re-started 2012. With Caster SK10
Driving Xray XB4 & Precirotate PRS1 V2 for 2014.
Hobby Pro PRS1 V2 2WD and PRSB10 4WD for 2015
Team Inside Line Racing with PR Racing buggies for 2016, 2017 & 2018.
Old 05-05-2014
No trade access

The Xray is great, even on wet astro, very planted, quite safe to drive.
Almost impossible to break, nothing compare to others cars but outdrives/pins/moulded transmission parts do wear quite a lot.
Car is heavy but can handle power very well.
It could easily look like a band aid 2wd but it does not feel that way on the track.
A little boring maybe.

But don't get me wrong the KF is sexy and look great on the track, Schumacher really did a great job on this one.
Old 05-05-2014

I drive Associated myself but I have to say all the KFs at our club (high grip astro) look terrific. If I was choosing between Schumacher or Xray it would be the KF for sure.
Old 06-05-2014

Thanks for the advise
I think that decides it for me.
Since I already have schumacher I think we have a clear winner
Old 06-05-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

I'm lucky enough to have a k1 and k1 aero. An sv2 and kf.

Breakage has been minimal, and defiantly down to me and not the car. Parts are cheap and easy to get, and the way the kf handles is awesome, with my team mate just buying one after driving mine, I run my sv2 in the damp and kf in the dry. The build quality is equal to xray who used to be the industry standard., ( built all sorts for mag reviews) Schumacher and their new r and d team have certainly upped the game.
Old 06-05-2014

A left field choice might be the XFactory X6-S conversion kit. Only cost efficient if you have B44/X6cubed cars already but you said, cost no object

I have one and am really enjoying it, I get better results than I did with a regular 2WD and actually prefer driving it to my 4WD and I feel faster with it. I am not a great driver, just in my 2nd year but it is a very easy car to drive which is probably flattering me.

That said there are several KF's at our club which are all doing well so if you want a KF/XRay preference, I would go KF.