Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 21-01-2012
YORCC legend

Default Rules

This is something that's been discussed for a couple of weeks and was mentioned at this week's committee meeting:

I've drafted up some racing rules, similar to the ones I linked to a few weeks ago from another club. I'll bring them along tonight but thought I'd flag them up.

Also, it's important to stress that no-one's trying to be a killjoy or like Blakey the Inspector from On the Buses (showing my age). I don't even own a clipboard.

These just clarify a few things that have been talked about a fair bit over recent weeks: marshalling, passing lapped cars etc etc. If they're up on the wall for all to see then hopefully we'll all be happier (that's the plan anyway).

Right, off to polish my peaked cap and wax my pencil moustache.

"I'll have you Butler....." http://www.t0ester.co.uk/otb/blakey.html

Last edited by farmboy; 21-01-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: my spelling
Old 22-01-2012

Completely agree with these; only point I would suggest we need to apply some sensible discretion over is the rule regarding losing best lap time if not in martialling position by the start of the next race.

I don't think we should put gaps in to delay heats - Like everyone else, I want to get as much driving in as possible - but we do need to recognise that sometimes they flow so quickly so that even if you're the most dedicated person in the world, by the time you get off the podium wade through the next round of drivers coming in, take your car back to your pit, disconnect the battery and leg it back again, the count-down for the next race is often underway.

If you're doing your best to get back and we need to hold the start by a few seconds or you get to your position as the lap is starting; maybe a slapped wrist... If you're clearly slacking... then absolutely agree; bring on blakey!

Well.. that's my two-pennies worth...
Old 22-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

Turning up late then treading on my car should also be punished by releasing the dogs with the bees in their mouths!
Old 22-01-2012

Yeah; special case. Obviously turning up late should not warrant legging it up the middle of the track - common sense should be employed to get to your position...

Besides; where would we find Bees on a Saturday night?
Old 22-01-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

I added the loosing best time to Jerry (Farmboy)'s post. It has been a long standing rule at the club, just we've not really used it much.
The computer runs on auto most of the evening usually, with a gap of 2mins between the last car finishing (or timing out) and the next race starting. This is plenty of time in my opinion.

I wasn't there last night, but from what I've heard (which is alot) then some people need to reconsider their attitudes!
Old 22-01-2012
YORCC legend

The thing with rules is, there's always some flexibility in how they're implemented but if it's down in print then at least everyone can see it.

The core things that are a very common grumble at the moment are shabby marshalling (strolling over to a car like you're out on a Sunday walk with the dog) and rear-ending (as it were). Go round me not over me!!

But this is good: 99% of club members feel like this. At least now we are talking about it. And not a clipboard or peaked cap in sight.
Old 22-01-2012

Missed last night but assume it wasn't the best? Hope all's back to normal next week.

Don't have a problem with the Marshall Rule - just making a comment... The rules are all sensible and are basically there to make sure we all have a good night. 100% support from me...

In the meantime, I'll just need to grease the zimmer and get faster at getting back to the pit then over to my marshall position!
Old 22-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
The thing with rules is, there's always some flexibility in how they're implemented but if it's down in print then at least everyone can see it.

The core things that are a very common grumble at the moment are shabby marshalling (strolling over to a car like you're out on a Sunday walk with the dog) and rear-ending (as it were). Go round me not over me!!

But this is good: 99% of club members feel like this. At least now we are talking about it. And not a clipboard or peaked cap in sight.
We have same issues at bury metro but with out singling any body out it's hard to get the message across

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 22-01-2012

I dont think last nights marshalling situation was helped by the positioning of the markers, but it was a tough course to get the positions correct on, so its a trade off really.

I agree with the comments about the rules, and I know I have a habit of rubbing people on this forum especially up the wrong way, I'll go ahead with my ideas, and you can all shoot them down if you want.

Instead of marshalling the race immediatley after yours, how about you marshall the race after that? Lets you get back to your table, sort your batteries out, have a breath and then bring your transponder out if you're using a club one in time for the next race. I realise they may need charging, but the vast majority of people in the later races dont use them anyways, its really only the 540 boys who do.

Another point to aid this would be to have 1 set of doors be used for getting into the hall once racing is on, and one for getting out, so you only enter the hall through the doors to the right of race control, and exit through the left (as Mike Cockerill sits and faces), that way you could use that to place your car on the start, and then walk to the rostrum.

Other than those ideas, I agree with the rules wholeheartedly and commend the commitee for re-enforcing them.

Oh, and Jerry, its "I'll get you, Butler!" I was forced to watch on the buses as a child and its like a stain on my memories...

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback

Last edited by AC199; 22-01-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Idiotic error...
Old 22-01-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC199 View Post
Instead of marshalling the race immediatley after yours, how about you marshall the race after that?
Not happening buddy. It would only make things more complicated if we moved to a different system than everyone else (in the world?)

Last edited by Col; 23-01-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 22-01-2012

Heh, was just an idea, since not having a break in play is the way its done, and the way it should be done, I was trying to think around the problem.

I've edited my last post to remove the rather confusing error in it...

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 23-01-2012

I think the rules seem fare and its simple to follow.

I almost took my own car out and another guys hand in the process just purly because nobody said car on straight when there was a car in the middle being picked up. This is very unsafe and a simple car on straight shout would have ment me slowing down... Sorry to the person who it was...

Some things to add maybe:

If your car is broken mid race... The marshall picks it up and switches it off and keeps it with him untill end of race. I for one dont like it when the marshall runs accross the track to get the car back to the person on rostrum to have my car crash where that marshall was and myself having to wait for other marshalls to get my car or even worse wait for that marshall to get back to his spot.

If your car is broken then you stay on the rostrum untill race is done and you wait for all to finish. I think this just makes sence as it distracts people when you get off the rostrum.

If you fixing your car after a heat and you should be marshalling.... I had to fill in for people 5-6 times on saturday... I was waiting for them to take over but nobody showed to take there place...Make sure that when you get someone to cover for you that that person is there doing it before going back to your car.

Passing: I do like the rule with passing people and must say that in the 2WD mod the people that I was lapping made way for me each time I was nearing them and when asked if I could pass they did the same.. Well done to the 2wd mod guys for that as it meant I could have a fun race.

Transponders: I know most have there own and as stated before the only people who need them really the new peeps that dont have personal ones... I had a bit of a problem as my transponder did not make it back from its previouse heat and I missed 3/4 of a heat because of this.... You should take them out as soon as you pick up your car after racing and stick them in to charge...
Old 23-01-2012
YORCC legend

Here's a/the plan for next Saturday (Jan 28th):

We will have a drivers' briefing in the area around race control just before the first heat. All drivers need to be there. I'm happy to run it - I'll basically run through the rules again and flag up anything special for that evening.

I've spoken to a few people over the last few days and there seems to a consensus on this. I think it's as important to iron out some of the on-track jiggery-pokery on as it is to kerb potty mouths on the rostrum.

Onwards and upwards.

Jerry
Old 23-01-2012

Some great points Vince. In fact the bit about cars breaking is along the BRCA lines anyway. You shouldn't leave the rostrum if you have a car failure as it is off putting to drivers still in the race and marshals should keep hold of the car if there is a failure and not take it back to the driver. If someone kicks off shouting for their car they can do one imo. Im pretty sure that at BRCA meetings there are penalties for the above ie leaving the rostrum before race over is called.

Just one point imo there should be NO shouting at marshals. You will never see me shout at a marshall during the race not only is it off-putting to other drivers it is rude and puts people on edge. Theres no excuse for it and to me if anyone has a problem with it or a problem with anyones marshalling DONT CRASH! simples. Also pretty sure shouting 'MARSHALL' is also frowned upon at BRCA events.
Old 23-01-2012
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

at brca events the rostrum is ment to be a silent place but it does still happen

for the new members who dont know me i use to ref at the north east regionals and was told by lots of top uk / european drivers i was very good at it { i didnt care who they was if they broke the rules id peanalise them tom cockrill }
i know i dont race there every week but will be racing there more now i would be happy to do some refing if the club think it is needed but 1 thing would need to be agreed if a rule was broken somthing would need to be done about it
Old 23-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Just one point imo there should be NO shouting at marshals. You will never see me shout at a marshall during the race not only is it off-putting to other drivers it is rude and puts people on edge. Theres no excuse for it and to me if anyone has a problem with it or a problem with anyones marshalling DONT CRASH! simples. Also pretty sure shouting 'MARSHALL' is also frowned upon at BRCA events.
I do agree.. I hate shouting at a marshall but then some marshalls thinks its picknick time when doing there point and will not be consentrating on there point to marshall.... I would like to know what that marshall thinks when I dont notice his car that has flipped over... If a marshall is good then we wont shout.. simples.
Old 23-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVisser View Post
I do agree.. I hate shouting at a marshall but then some marshalls thinks its picknick time when doing there point and will not be consentrating on there point to marshall.... I would like to know what that marshall thinks when I dont notice his car that has flipped over... If a marshall is good then we wont shout.. simples.

I agree, this is such a hard point to get right.

I get put off very easily by people talking or shouting next to me on the rostrum. However this weekend on one occasion I got taken out and my car was on its roof for 10 seconds before the marshall noticed it. Would this then be an occasion to "inform" the marshall of his poor eyesight?

One thing I will say though is there is far too much swearing. We all say a bit in the heat of the moment but being the father of two boys who love coming racing it is unacceptable for every other word to be an expletive.
Old 23-01-2012
YORCC legend

As the person who drew up the initial set of rules that are now up on here (at the top of the YORCC board) I'm guilty of plenty of infringements ... swearing being one... so I'm certainly not trying to be pious.

On the marshalling side: I witnessed one marshal on Saturday clearly "not seeing" cars that had come a cropper on the tight, stepped left hander after the jump. People had to shout to get him to notice crashed cars on several occasions.

Personally, I don't mind someone shouting "Marshall" or even my name, if I haven't seen a crash, as long as it's not followed by swearing.

The problem is, some marshals seem to be in a daze during a race.

The theory with the rules is, if we all play our part (eg by marshalling well) then everyone else will find it easier to play by the rules (by not having to shout at us). It's like a trickle-down effect.
Old 23-01-2012

The devil may be in the detail but I think everyone would agree the basics are simple; treat others as you would want to be treated yourself. Put as much effort into your marshalling as you do your racing; treat others with respect and lose the swearing. The more we all put in the more we'll all get out.

I think a short driver (and marshall) briefing would be a good idea to set expectation and kick it all off.
Old 23-01-2012

Racing seems to have changed a lot. When I was a kid shouting at marshals, bad marshalling and dirty driving was really frowned upon and people would tell me! As a kid starting out you are effecting by what you see other do. If you have top guys at a club doing stuff properly it filters down and it breeds a more friendly environment to be in.

On the flip side top guys at a club shouting 'MARSHALL', being rude to people on the track and off it filters down to new club members who then feel its acceptable. I think it just creates an edgy atmosphere for everyone.

Iv been to loads of clubs over the years and iv seen both sides. Just such a better atmosphere when people respect each other.

Now im not saying York is a club like that latter. Its been years since iv actually done club racing, as in enjoying going to a club a few times a month. I think in the most part the club is amazing. Great friendly atmosphere and more on the good stuff I mentioned than bad.

Maybe the other night was a one off but no one seemed to have any patience with anyone, everyone was shouting at each other and there was some terrible language. Just think it needs nipping in the bud.

Sorry to bang on its just my opinion I just feel that shouting at marshalls or me is a no no. Like i said DONT CRASH.