Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 13-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default My project!! HELP!!!!!

OK i didnt want to show you but i must now as i need some help!

You may says its pointless as it will handel crap. Well it proberly will but its fun ding this.

I was looking at my TC4 FT yesterday and i thought i love this car but i hate touring car racing so to get the best of boat worlds i set about making a 4wd buggy out of it. I have mounted b4 rear wishbones to the back ive got the whole back end sorted bar the shock tower and wing mount But i still havent put the hub carriers on yet. I have cardboard cut outs of the shock towers and the top deck. So it was all going ok. And here are some pictures.

So now this is my problem! I was looking at the BJ4 to see if the BJ4 body would fit it. When i sudenly realised oh poo slipper. Now i am wondering will i need a slipper as a dark impact hasnt got one has it?????? As i proberly wont run anything more than a 19 in it as it will be more of a club car and a shelf queen. And just for fun.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 13-04-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

looks cool, but won't this just be a Bj4 using tc4 bits? anyway, look at the tc3 '0' and bj4, you be able to fit a slipper from them with minor mods
Old 14-04-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

Ash, you could bolt the B4 rear arms to almost any touring car and make custom shock towers. The slipped will be very hard to get working unless the BJ4 one is a perfect fit. good luck though
Old 14-04-2007

HAHA are you taking the piss.

I havent just put them inplace of the touring car arms. I have had to dream about 1.5cm off the chassis on both sides. Remount the arm mounts dremel down the arms. On the front ive had to dremel down ene more of the chassis. Ive got the full speeting working now. Ive had to remove part of the fron arm's so it will allow you full suspension travel. And ive had to remove some material from the chassis to allow for the steering so it doesnt bind on the cassis. And i still have to make upper deck and the 2 shock towers.

So ive just bolted some rear wishbones on have i.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 14-04-2007
Mad Member

Using the standard TC4 chassis there is also the fact the wheelbase will be at least 25mm shorter than every other buggy, which will make it very responsive, but you'll find most of the cars running at the York vintage masters will have a 250mm wheelbase and no slipper.
Makes it difficult to fit any current body on it though.

If you are sticking to 19 turn motors you don't need a slipper. It all depends on the surface, if there is enough grip then the only use for a slipper would be to protect the gears from damage when landing from jumps.

Without a slipper on low grip surfaces your options are either to loosen the ball diffs so they slip (means they need rebuilding often - this is how we all used to do it), adjust the throttle settings on the transmitter, put in a motor more appropriate to the conditions, or learn how to drive with a smoother throtle.
Old 14-04-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

Calm down dear
Old 14-04-2007

Send a message via MSN to LiamD

Why not just sell the TC4 and buy a BJ4??

Just seems a bit pointless (to me) to ruin a perfectly good touring car which could be sold on to fund a good 4WD buggy.
Old 14-04-2007

Why would i want to buy a BJ4??? i have the best 4wd in the world. Long Live xx4we. This is more of a project. And the tc4 was missing a few bits so it wouldnt have sold at a very high price anyways. Here are some more pics today i have put the whole front end on steering etc.

So to finfish it im waiting for the fibreglass sheet to make the shock towers and i have bought some turnbuckles off northy and Chris mills(Millzy) is very kindly giving me his old cvd's.

Should have it done soon. But i havent desided if it is going to be a truck or a buggy yet as it could be either.

A

Old 14-04-2007

Lookin' good to me! Don't let the naysayers get you down. The point of building it is "it's fun", right!?

I say don't put a slipper in, rag it around a bit, and see if the gears have/haven't disintegrated. You'll know then whether a slipper's needed or not
Old 14-04-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

looks cool now ash. Shell wise I recon you could fit a Tc3 0 (its actually a schumacher thing) on as its based on the tc3. Bets it better as a buggy than a Tc.

which reminds me, my prototype car is almost done. Laydown shocks, delrin parts, skinny chassis and 3 x 3 cells. Yeh!111
Old 16-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You will need a slipper, without one in a buggy TC3 gears arn't quite strong enough. There isn't enough room to fit the origonal BJ4's slipper in there, and the design of the WE slipper means you can't use it without a dogbone link to each gearbox without machining your own outdrives.

You will have to extend the chassis, leaving it the same length as a TC will make it very unstable in the air and over bumps, nevermind the comedy handling, MR4BC?

You will need to radically alter the front end too unless you plan on running it on an on-road track, otherwise every time it lands nose first it will dig in. The front wishbones need some kick up too, again for bumps/handling. The front end looks like it will be amazingly brittle with the amount taken out of the front wishbones to fit the hubs.

Sorry if thats a bit negative but I've been down this road a while since with the TC3'O, you just cant start with a TC and 'adapt' it to be an offroad car there are too many compromises. When you start getting parts prototyped in small numbers it gets very expensive very quickly.

JConcepts have done all the hard work in developing an offroad car that uses the AE TC drivetrain
Old 16-04-2007
Lee-Mag

I have to agree with rich also, the tc4 was never the strongest of cars to say the least, it was also pretty crap when it came to handling also.

i dont know of a company who has gone and put long wishbones on a TC and it has worked, there is going to be big changes in roll centres, wheel base, width, never mind the geometry ie shock angles, caster, kick up etc.

Personally id lock up the steering and the shocks and use it as a mini skate board
Old 16-04-2007

I think im going to make it into a mess about truck that i can have a laught with ive made a under body out of a piece of HIPS so ill just get some wheels on it and have somefun ive always wanted a basher truck.

A

Old 16-04-2007
Mad Member

Ash,

Don't give up because of negative comments, this could be the start of something better.

OK, this time it might not all work perfectly, as has been said the front end will dig in, handling will be odd because of the short wheelbase etc etc... but if you enjoy dng it, keep going. If it's not perfect, move on to version 2, longer wheelbase, slipper sorted out and stuff... who knows, you may end up with the next A-One!

O'm sorely tempted to have a fiddle with my B4 and try to slim it down, but i don't think I'd ever finish it!
Old 23-07-2008

I love the truck idea.
You can get shorter wheelbase bodies for trucks pretty easy still