Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 22-01-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default YZ2 Dirt Spec

The Dirt spec YZ2 will be available in Spring of this year.

http://events.redrc.net/2016/01/chas...-lee-martin-8/
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 22-01-2016

Yes and will the gearbox fit and more importantly work with the current spec YZ-2 for wet, greasy conditions?
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 22-01-2016
Mad Member

You'll have to drill two additional holes into the chassis plate and probably need some other parts like an RF arm mount and a longer battery strap, but basically most parts should be compatible. I'd not be surprised to see more plastic parts to bring the kit price down and make the car more forgiving. I preordered mine today without knowing any ETA or price details.
Old 22-01-2016

Where did you preorder your yz2 dirt from ?
Old 22-01-2016

And people complain when Schumacher release updates all the time? Pot, kettle and black.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 22-01-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu84 View Post
Where did you preorder your yz2 dirt from ?
I placed an informal (facebook) preorder with Tonisport and am looking forward to picking it up as soon as it arrives and having a cup of coffee or two with the guys.
Old 22-01-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
And people complain when Schumacher release updates all the time? Pot, kettle and black.
It has been a while since the YZ-2 was released, and Yokomo did not really offer the dirt car people have wanted since Lee Martin won the Euros last year with something other than a B-Max2. As the Dirt Spec does not replace the std YZ-2 for high grip tracks, I am happy to add a new buggy to my fleet, I might have felt differently if it had been just a Factory Team version or something like that. But I can see where complaints about Schumacher are coming from. If you just bought a car and need to buy a truckload of option parts to bring it to the standard the team is running... At the moment, Schumacher drivers should be quite happy, I suppose. The KF2SE seems to be a decent piece of kit!
Old 22-01-2016

The dirt car looks nice, maybe a good alternative for people who run the YZ4 and struggle with the sharpness of the YZ2 but want to keep the same manufacturer for spares reasons. I couldn't get my YZ2 to go but this looks more promising, had I of stuck with Yokomo I'd probably have bought one.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 23-01-2016
Mad Member

Absolutely! The normal YZ-2 is exactly what I have been looking for and spot on on my home track. Quite a few have switched to a YZ-2 meanwhile, but for others its sharp handling was a bit over the top. The Dirt Spec will be my car of choice for the beginner's guide I am writing for our regional series' website. If it had not been announced, I'd probably have bought a 22 3.0.
Old 23-01-2016

my ymax seems to still struggle with rear traction compared to the b5m's.

the 3 gear will be even worse

hope a 4 gear will come out as an option, be interesting to see how it goes up against the ymax, probably the same I assume
Old 24-01-2016
Mad Member

It is always hard to compare a conversion to a fully engineered car. My YZ-2 has more grip in the wet than my B5M low rider had in the dry. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
Old 25-01-2016
Mad Member

Last edited by mes; 25-01-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 26-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
my ymax seems to still struggle with rear traction compared to the b5m's.

the 3 gear will be even worse

hope a 4 gear will come out as an option, be interesting to see how it goes up against the ymax, probably the same I assume

I'm surprised to hear that, as the few times I ran my YZ-Max in very Slippery/Wet Conditions, I found it to have better Rear Traction than even a Standard BMax2 MR!

I have also tried it in the Dry & I found that it virtually wanted to Roll over everywhere, it had so much Grip! Obviously, in these Conditions, it cant Compete with a Standard YZ-2, on Cornerspeed!

I'm still alittle Confused on why there looking at a 3Gear Transmission for a Low Grip/Dirt version, as I remember when the old Atomic CR2 had a 3Gear Box initially, but then they Updated it to a 4Gear to Generate more Grip/Traction, which was a noticeable Improvement!!
I also thought that AE Released a 3Gear Box for the B5m, to free up the Rear of the Car, for High Grip situations??

Last edited by Wacker1; 26-01-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 26-01-2016
Mad Member

Dirt spec in this case means US style clay, which seems to favour a 3-gear set-up. I think it should be possible to run a 4-gear/B-Max gearbox in this car and hope they'll either include it in the kit or at least as an option. At first I thought the team had also a 4 gear version at the Reedy Race, but it turned out to be a Y-Max conversion.
As it is, I guess a 3-gear standard gearbox may still be better on wet astro than the lcg gearbox as it creates more chassis roll. Only time will tell.