Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team C Racing

Old 11-07-2013
oOple Advertiser

Default Thinking of a change to TM2

Thinking of changing over to a TM2 from SV2.

A couple of questions though.

Are the wheel fitments the same or are they hex?
There seems to be a lot of mods to make during the build. Are these sorted out on the new kits?
I never got the SV2 to feel predictable and planted on high grip surfaces. Will the TM2 be easier to set up?

Sorry if these have been asked before
Old 11-07-2013
oOple Advertiser

Do it, you know you want to

wheels are hex but you can buy rear pin adaptors, and fit cougar front steering arms with axle etc.

no mods are needed at all from kit to make it work. You can upgrade to some ally parts (like you can with all makes) but they arent vital to the build

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 11-07-2013

Get a TM2, the only to drive at the moment, just recently bought one and its so good to drive, it even make me look like a driving god LOL
Old 11-07-2013

The only really important mods to make during the build is to fit an RW spur gear as the kit one is pretty poor, it's certainly worth getting one to carry as a spare if nothing else, and to spend a minute with a dremel on the battery plate to make sure it can't short out.
The other mods like drilling the pistons and cutting the top deck are just set up options but again only take a couple of minutes to do.

On high grip surfaces the TM2 will work fantastic with very little set up work required, with the added bonus of still being decent on low grip surfaces.

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC
Old 11-07-2013
oOple Advertiser

All kits now have a proper spur included. I've been running one twice a week for 4 months with no problem. But obviously it's always sensible to carry a spare lol

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 11-07-2013
oOple Advertiser

Thanks for the tips. My setup time is limited at the track as I race with my two children as well and time is always too short between rounds. Hence the need for a car that is good out of the box.

Also it means buying everything in triplicate which can get a bit expensive!

I have heard there is a new AE B4 replacement and an SV2 replacement due soon so I am not sure whether to wait or not?
Old 11-07-2013
Mad Member

Not only are they awesome, but pretty much bomb proof!

Just make sure you dremel the lipo holder as chalkie says!!!

They don't even need any upgrades! Just run it box stock and it will be awesome!!!!! (Even kit springs/pistons!)
Old 11-07-2013
Mad Member

Why wait... The future is already here!!!!
Old 12-07-2013

I have recently brought a TM2 and used it at silverstone.

The car is excellent and very easy to drive faster - I have gone much better with it compared to previous Vega & DB1

As mentioned you don't really need upgrades just a couple of mods that don't cost money - cut the rear top deck, drill the pistons, drill an extra hole in the rear wishbone.
Old 12-07-2013
oOple Advertiser

Thanks for the info. I may get one next week and give it a go!
Old 15-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
with the added bonus of still being decent on low grip surfaces.
I concur with this.

I am by no means a top driver but on a low grip track the TM2, in the hands of an average driver, is by no means as good as a DEX210.

On our local track, MERCC, the champ has sold his TM2 and gone back to a DEX210.

I used to run a DEX210 and used to finish 2nd or 3rd in the A's on average. I am now 5th or 6th whilst driving harder than ever to get there.

It has to be pointed out that our track is worn grass and has been pretty dusty lately.

On a high grip surface however it is in a different league.
Old 15-07-2013

Since getting a TM2, my driving & subsquent results have stepped up a notch, admittedly the car I was racing previously was a Losi CR2 which I guess is one of the first generation mid-motored 2wd buggies... but the improvement really is noticable!

I've been racing it both on the indoor astroturf track at Moulton College (Silverstone) & on the Grass track at Hinckley, on both surfaces it seems to perform impeccably - so easy to push hard (especially on the Astro) yet seems to keep it all together on the grass even when it gets dusty/loose (which I was suprised about!).

The only non-standard parts on my car is the RW spur (using the std TeamC pads) - i'm using all the kit springs & suggested shock & link positions - all four shock pistons each have two holes drilled to 1.2mm dia & filled with 25wt oil front and rear, i've retained the gear diff & is filled with 2000wt oil (I love the fact that it is low maintenance). I haven't tried the split top-deck mod but I do remove the side brace peices when I go outside on grass which I *think* helps give a little more rear end traction on acceleration.... so apart from the necessary battery strap clearance thats all i've done & the car is hard to fault!
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 15-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1976 View Post
I concur with this.

I am by no means a top driver but on a low grip track the TM2, in the hands of an average driver, is by no means as good as a DEX210.

On our local track, MERCC, the champ has sold his TM2 and gone back to a DEX210.

I used to run a DEX210 and used to finish 2nd or 3rd in the A's on average. I am now 5th or 6th whilst driving harder than ever to get there.

It has to be pointed out that our track is worn grass and has been pretty dusty lately.

Hi David,

I didn't know Spindles had sold his tm2, I know he went back to the 210 at the end of the day, but he obviously didn't like it enough to keep it long. Get on here Mike and tell us about it!!

I ran my Losi 22 and TM2 all day with the TM2 in the 4WD class as it was it's first meeting and to be honest, I've not done that many with the 22. Anyway, it was a busy and productive day running them both back to back. In one round (can't remember which) I lapped almost identically with both cars and there was very little in lap time between them all day. What the lap time didn't tell was how they both drove. The 22 was more an all rounder, not amazing at anything, it's only weakness was the rear stepping out on the dust. Whereas the TM2 felt easy to drive, planted at the rear and low speed steering was really responsive, but when the grip went away, the rear went away really quickly as soon as I got greedy with the throttle. I can imagine, that was where you noticed the difference to your 210.

In my opinion, it's to do with how the chassis generates grip. Most mid motor 2wd cars have a 4 gear gearbox which aids on power traction, whereas the TM2's tranny works differently. True, this would ideally suit high traction tracks, but there's always a way to generate better or more progressive traction with setup. Chassis flex, anti squat, roll centre, slipper, diff, shock springs/damping, geometry, adding weight and weight distribution, motor and speedo settings etc... and TYRES of course

After the days racing, I couldn't see which was the better or faster car, but without doubt the TM2 has more potential to be faster as it was its first meeting and I didn't change much all day.

Sorry to ramble on lol

JC
Old 15-07-2013

Default tm2

James, the TM2 is a good car, but on the tracks I will be running on I prefer my 210.
As you did I tried them both on the day and wished I had started with the 210 as I was on pace with it and not as fast with the TM2.
Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk
Old 15-07-2013

Quote:
I concur with this.

Have you tried a ball diff in it yet? I have found the cut top deck, Geocars nylon side rails and a ball diff really help the car in low grip conditions.

Mind you from the description of your track (Sounds right up my street ) I think I would be looking at a TC02 EVO rather than any mid car.

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC
Old 16-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Mind you from the description of your track (Sounds right up my street ) I think I would be looking at a TC02 EVO rather than any mid car.
Or even an old Losi XX eh James?
Old 16-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
Or even an old Losi XX eh James?
Hehe, who's that?? Yep ye'ol losi xxx is on standby
Old 16-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobr5turbo View Post
Hi David,

I didn't know Spindles had sold his tm2, I know he went back to the 210 at the end of the day, but he obviously didn't like it enough to keep it long. Get on here Mike and tell us about it!!

I ran my Losi 22 and TM2 all day with the TM2 in the 4WD class as it was it's first meeting and to be honest, I've not done that many with the 22. Anyway, it was a busy and productive day running them both back to back. In one round (can't remember which) I lapped almost identically with both cars and there was very little in lap time between them all day. What the lap time didn't tell was how they both drove. The 22 was more an all rounder, not amazing at anything, it's only weakness was the rear stepping out on the dust. Whereas the TM2 felt easy to drive, planted at the rear and low speed steering was really responsive, but when the grip went away, the rear went away really quickly as soon as I got greedy with the throttle. I can imagine, that was where you noticed the difference to your 210.

In my opinion, it's to do with how the chassis generates grip. Most mid motor 2wd cars have a 4 gear gearbox which aids on power traction, whereas the TM2's tranny works differently. True, this would ideally suit high traction tracks, but there's always a way to generate better or more progressive traction with setup. Chassis flex, anti squat, roll centre, slipper, diff, shock springs/damping, geometry, adding weight and weight distribution, motor and speedo settings etc... and TYRES of course

After the days racing, I couldn't see which was the better or faster car, but without doubt the TM2 has more potential to be faster as it was its first meeting and I didn't change much all day.

Sorry to ramble on lol

JC
Ramble accepted! LOL
I am experimenting with set-up - particularly roll centres and tyres. Having said that MERCC's last track was in a less grippy than at the Regional's so may have heightened the issues.

I do stand by my comments though James.

I have not tried a ball diff. Likewise I have not tried the nylon side rails. They will be on my list as well as other ways to introduce some flex.
Old 16-07-2013

Quote:
Ramble accepted! LOL
I am experimenting with set-up - particularly roll centres and tyres. Having said that MERCC's last track was in a less grippy than at the Regional's so may have heightened the issues.

I do stand by my comments though James.

I have not tried a ball diff. Likewise I have not tried the nylon side rails. They will be on my list as well as other ways to introduce some flex.

I saw the pics on mercc's fb page, the track is looking pretty barren! Although the side rails are also on my shopping list, a rear motor car would be hard to beat on that track!

What have you tried with roll centres? Raising by 1mm?
Old 16-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobr5turbo View Post
I saw the pics on mercc's fb page, the track is looking pretty barren!
Just hunted down the MERCC F.B page also & I would love to have a go on that track..... no kidding, I reckon that XX I mentioned earlier would be hard to beat around there (with all that loose dust as seen in the later pics)

I would definately be leaving any mid-motor car I had in the boot & bringing out something rear-motored!