Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 18-01-2018

Default Brushless esc motor limits?

This may seem like a stupid question but it's one I need answering so here goes...
If a sensored esc says it's limited to 8.5t for tc and 13.5t for buggies, is that a set in stone rule or more of a guideline? Looking to use 10.5t in a mardave cobra and rc10t3 for some iconic meetings so nothing too hot.

Last edited by Mike145; 18-01-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 19-01-2018
Mad Member

Not hard and fast no.
There is always some wiggle room.
A light car, with an unboosted/turboed/timed motor, basically running blinky, shouldn't have any issues. (10.5 to 13.5 might be a bit of a stretch though.)

If it's a heavy car/4wd, ruinning a lot of boost/turbo, even the stated limit might not be ok (i've blown an 8.5T rated ESC running an 8.5 in a DEX410.........)

I've also run an 8.5 in a 2wd on a 10.5 ( i think) rated cheapy ESC from hobbyking. That lasted a few months before an unrelated failure destroyed it. (bad soldering by the user......)
Old 19-01-2018

Was actually looking at the Hobbywing 10bl60 esc for simplicity because I've used the brushed example for a long time and can't fault it. The spec says 8.5t limit for touring cars and 13.5 for off road. To be honest I was just looking to get the cars out on a budget to take part in events like revival etc and being a tc driver Ive got not ambitions of winning off road lol. Advanced timing and things wasn't really going to be thought about. Only ever run blinky too, just saves headaches and complications. So would I be right in thinking that the higher the ampage of the esc the lower the turn of the motor can be?
Don't suppose you know what model or ampage Hobbyking speedo you used?

Last edited by Mike145; 19-01-2018 at 02:47 PM.