Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 14-08-2008

Send a message via Yahoo to OrangeSpyderMan
Default Edit parts for firestorm

I'm the very proud owner of an HPI E-Firestorm that I've converted to brushless with a Mamba Max and 5700Kv motor. I've recently ordered a load of hop-ups from Edit (basically all that they make for the firestorm), that I'm immensly satisfied with, with one little exception.

That exception is Edit part ED010361 - the alloy front brace. My problem is that it's not the right size; the HPI part 86832, which I also have is great and replaces both the plastic original brace, and the metal plate that fits behind it. However the equivalent Edit part seems to be too thin - it doesn't sit snuggly without the original metal brace, and yet is slightly thicker than the plastic part that screws over the original brace, so can't be used with it.

Am I the only one having this problem? Are there others that have fitted this part, and if so, how have you done it?

Thanks in advance,

Phil
Old 14-08-2008

Try the Mirage FAQ page, they're the distributors for HPI, they promise an answer in 2 days and are very good in my experience.

http://www.mirageracing.com/faq.php
Old 14-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoyner View Post
Try the Mirage FAQ page, they're the distributors for HPI, they promise an answer in 2 days and are very good in my experience.

http://www.mirageracing.com/faq.php

Thanks for that, I've asked there too - we'll see what they suggest.
Old 21-08-2008

Default Mirage help and Edit parts for the e-firestorm

I did as suggested, and contacted Mirage, and got a very helpful response from them. It seems that to get the Edit part to fit correctly you need to add 4 x 0.5mm shims (2 for the suspension shafts, and 2 for the screws) The HPI equivalent hop-up Just Fits (TM)

I have also hit another problem with one of the Edit parts, this time it's the Firestorm Alloy Knuckle Arms. They don't fit behind the stock HPI wheels, it would seem (the ends of the "steering arm" rubs against the rim to the point where it stops it turning when the wheel nut is tightened)!

I've asked Mirage's opinion, so we'll see what they come back with, as maybe I've goofed somewhere (but I can't see where from the diagrams). I've been very impressed so far with the help from Mirage, but I must say I've gone from being quite impressed with the perceived quality on fitting the Edit parts to being pretty disappointed that they don't seem to really fit properly.
Old 26-08-2008

Default Edit parts... do they fit????

Well. Mirage have asked a couple of questions, but seem somewhat stumped at the problem too.. Looking side by side at the Edit parts and the originals, there seems little way that the Edit part can fit. The originals sweep back much more. I'm probably going to speak to Mirage and Apex (from whom I purchased the parts in question) about returning them for a refund. I must say that I am very surprised at this, but it seems the Edit parts are just the wrong shape.

I can't say that I'm very impressed with Edit so far - they look good, and seem well made, but having to shim the front brace and now the knuckle arms that are the wrong size...
Old 30-08-2008

Just in case anyone cares - the knuckle arms have been sent to Mirage so they can look at them and see what might be the problem. I don't hold out much hope - they say they've put a set on a car and they just fitted right first time.

I'd really be interested if anyone else has fitted these OK - I struggle to believe that the pair I have aren't the same shape as the ones Mirage tried. We'll see what they say when they get them.
Old 02-09-2008

Default The End... ?

Well, Mirage have received the parts I sent back for them to examine, and have confirmed they don't fit So I'm not going mad!!

I've asked if this is a general problem or on a specific run or something. We'll see what they say. At any rate, they have none in stock (strangely - they said they'd fitted a pair to a car not a couple of days ago.... )

I suspect that this particular Edit part is just plain the wrong shape. Not a very good show when you realise this one doesn't fit and the front alloy brace doesn't fit without adding 0.5mm shims all over the place...

I've asked when they expect stock, and we'll see if I wait it out or not.
Old 05-09-2008

I guess if Mirage don't have a corrected part you can just get a refund.

If the Edit parts are just for bling perhaps you'll have to put up with a little less aluminium on the truck . I've sometimes thought original plastic bits fit / perform better even if they don't look so nice.
Old 05-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoyner View Post
I guess if Mirage don't have a corrected part you can just get a refund.

If the Edit parts are just for bling perhaps you'll have to put up with a little less aluminium on the truck . I've sometimes thought original plastic bits fit / perform better even if they don't look so nice.

This is what's going to happen. Well actually, I've asked them for a few spare parts that I needed (well, could use...) Mirage have been very good about it, I must say.

As for the bling, the hubs are also because the stock plastic ones strip their threads fairly easily. Hey ho - got another set coming as spares anyway, now...
Old 05-09-2008

I've seen different kinds of plastic on Hot Bodies kits, I've had a Cyclone S and a Cyclone, the plastic on the S was both softer and more brittle than that on the Cyclone. I've been pretty happy with Hot Bodies kits though, I was looking for a stadium truck a year or so ago as something a little lighter than my E-Zilla to go bashing with. I ended up with a second hand XXX-T which has been pretty good. I would probably have tried a firestorm had they been out at the time. Do you bash or race yours?
Old 05-09-2008

For the minute, it's bashing, but I'm also in the process of building a little track on some land I have, but the aim is to take it club racing soon. There's a guy in France who's racing an e-firestorm and the race write-ups suggest he's doing pretty damn well with it. The truck is well made, there's no doubt about that, but there are a couple of hop-ups I'd really recommend. They make some stiffer suspension arms than the stock ones, which are well worth it, and the aluminium shocks are a good bet too. The stock servo is OK-ish, but a little feeble if you're pushing hard.

It's certainly good value for money for out the box electric stadium truck. I'm not so sure about the flux, which is quite a bit more expensive. I got mine just before the flux was available (knowingly - the flux was delayed a couple of times) essentially because you can upgrade to a brushless setup that's at least the equivalent of the flux for little more (if at all) than the price difference between the stock e-firestorm and the flux, and that's what I did, at least for bashing around (will depend on what categories I'll fall into in the clubs around here as to whether I change it).

Just my $0.02