Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 11-07-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default Esc turbo

Guys,

I have never since the day brushless came out used the turbo function but am perplexed on this, so what exactly does the turbo function and timing function do?

Am i right in thinking with turbo it just gets to top end quicker than the standard settings or does this make full speed much more?
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 11-07-2015

was speaking to someone knowledgable the other day, and he said,
use timing if you want the motor to be faster overall, but if you want it the same speed on the infield, and need more on the straight, use turbo which will kick in after a preset (by you) amount of time or revs.

at a guess, turbo increases the timing - making it faster - when the throttle is at max for a certain amount of time or revs.
Old 11-07-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

More motor timing will give you a quicker top end,less torque bottom end and more heat in the motor,

Turbo will give you that bottom end back if you need it,if your motor gets to hot,decrease the timing on the motor and add some boost and turn the turbo down a bit........................I think 😄

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 11-07-2015

Interesting, so easier to do via the esc rather than adjusting the motor end bell.
Answer UK team driver
Old 11-07-2015

You can usually set timing in the esc in the same way as on the end bell and the timing will stay the same throughout the rev range.

You can then also set turbo or boost (I can never remember which is which) so that for a particular number of revs that are increased the timing is also advanced so the faster the motor spins the more timing you get allowing the motor to go even faster.

Then you can set the other one of turbo or boost so that you get a further increase in timing after a set time delay at full throttle.
Old 11-07-2015
Kev Lee oOple Advertiser

Boost Timing and Turbo Timing both add timing advance, they just apply it in a different way.

The way I adjust it is if I want more revs (speed) everywhere, I increase the boost timing. So, first of all I set this and get it right for the infield, as that's where I want the throttle to feel nice and controllable.

Then, if I want more speed on the straight(s) I add turbo timing. On my esc (Absima CTS10) it only gets introduced after a set amount of time holding full throttle . The great thing with this is that it adds revs where you want the speed, but doesn't make the car way to aggressive on the more intricate parts of the track.

On slippy tracks its best to run little or no boost and then add turbo with a long delay if you need more speed on the straight.

On high grip I normally run both turbo and boost and have turbo kick in after a very short amount of time on full throttle.

Warning - don't turn up both to full as you are likely to damage your motor and/or esc. Do things gradually and keep an eye on temperature.

Hope this helps.

Kev
Old 11-07-2015

Boost timing is applied across the whole of the throttle range,
Turbo timing is applied at full throttle or a set rpm (dependent how you have set it in the ESC)

Although boost timing is applied across the whole of the throttle movement it can be set to come in aggressively or smoothly.
in Simple terms for an aggressive setting the start rpm and end rpm are close together this adds the timing in quicker, it can be fined tuned by the slope (degrees or secs of timing added higher degrees or lower secs will add timing quicker)
This type of setting will also increase the heat in the motor quicker.
for a smoother introduction of the timing have a greater distance between start and finish rpm. to fine tune do the opposite of above.

Start rpm depends on car ,track ,gearing.

If you start running boost & turbo lower your gear ratio (higher number i.e. go from 4.5 to 6.6 ratio)
ALWAYS Temp your motor after 2, 4 mins to ensure you do not burn out the motor see the instructions that came with your motor for the max temp they advise!

Best explanation of all the settings and how they work is probably in the Hobywing manual
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/hobb...nV3_Manual.pdf

Last edited by Coastal; 11-07-2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-07-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Glad I put "I think" 😆

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 11-07-2015

I have my punch set low so it's nice on the infield. The turbo kicks in when the cars at full throttle for a set time (between .05 seconds snd .15secinds I think). You can adjust your turbo timing or even turn it off if you don't need it. For me it's taken a bit if setting up but I think I've got there now.
Old 11-07-2015

Wow, ive been doing it wrong all along. Ive just been running standard esc settings and did mess with my timing on motor but havent for a while so will give the turbo a go instead and possibly boost as well but as per your warnings will do it in small steps rather than my usual full on approach. Thanks guys, really useful information.
Answer UK team driver
Old 12-07-2015

Morning James, most of the info above is good info, some things to ponder though.

Motor static timing will increase/decrease rpm by increasing/decreasing the timing, just like brushed and will also decrease/increase initial torque.

Different brands of ESC call it different things. Boost is across the throttle range, Turbo is at max throttle.

Boost can be set numerous ways but it all comes down to how hard the timing increase comes in, same for Turbo.

One thing to remember, sometimes if there is jumps the above functions will make car fly funny due to the wheels now spinning freely.
Old 12-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Wow, ive been doing it wrong all along. Ive just been running standard esc settings and did mess with my timing on motor but havent for a while so will give the turbo a go instead and possibly boost as well but as per your warnings will do it in small steps rather than my usual full on approach. Thanks guys, really useful information.
For Offroad turbo is better than boost as you only really need the extra power when you get on the straight. Depending on ESC settings the best option is for activation by Full Throttle with a longer delay so the car gets up to speed at the start of the straight then the turbo comes in to add rpm 's. If you set it turbo to come in two quickly you will just bog the motor and generate heat. Using this method means you can also have more control of the car in the air - keep off full throttle and it will act as non boosted/turbo car until you get on the straight then
Old 12-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Morning James, most of the info above is good info, some things to ponder though.

Motor static timing will increase/decrease rpm by increasing/decreasing the timing, just like brushed and will also decrease/increase initial torque.

Different brands of ESC call it different things. Boost is across the throttle range, Turbo is at max throttle.

Boost can be set numerous ways but it all comes down to how hard the timing increase comes in, same for Turbo.

One thing to remember, sometimes if there is jumps the above functions will make car fly funny due to the wheels now spinning freely.
Hi Steve,

Ive opted for a new LRP Flow, manual which for me is kindof confusing but has Torque Timing, Boost Timing, Boost Timing & Activation, Turbo Timing. As you know i very rarely brake plus dont use run on on the esc and set my cars up to be very free so jump well with throttle or without so my idea is use the turbo setting only to start with but will test the boost only if my mid field speed is slower than the people I am competing against but as all have said only in small stages and as per manual as I dont want to kill my motor.
Answer UK team driver
Old 12-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
For Offroad turbo is better than boost as you only really need the extra power when you get on the straight. Depending on ESC settings the best option is for activation by Full Throttle with a longer delay so the car gets up to speed at the start of the straight then the turbo comes in to add rpm 's. If you set it turbo to come in two quickly you will just bog the motor and generate heat. Using this method means you can also have more control of the car in the air - keep off full throttle and it will act as non boosted/turbo car until you get on the straight then
So basically you can set it so when i hit flat out in standard factory settings the turbo will come in giving a little bit more when needed.
Answer UK team driver
Old 13-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
So basically you can set it so when i hit flat out in standard factory settings the turbo will come in giving a little bit more when needed.
Looks like the std setting is zero boost and zero turbo, so you would need to add some turbo to the std setting.