Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > S-Workz

Old 12-10-2015

on Sunday was my 2nd track time with my EVO...the last practice day before the first indoor race which will be after 2 weeks.

My practice time was divided in such a way, that it was track aviliable 2x10min per hour, so after 10min runtime I made next changes.
Starting setup:
Ride height: Front 16mm, Rear 17mm
Shock oils: Front 500cst, Rear 300cst,
Springs Yatabe Purple front and rear.
Plastic spacers which where intended to put between orings I put at schock a a shock limiters.
Diffs: Front 20k, Rear 15k, Center 500k
Tires: Wide stagger front and minipin 2 rear
All the rest setup- as per manual
ESC and motor from REDS 6.5t, pinion stock 19t

so following all your advices I made following changes:
1st change was:
Changed kit plastic wing to lexan wing with low cuted backside- car become much easer to drive, it kept line much better- I was surprised how big difference this change made.
Although best lap time (12.335sek) was the same as with kit wing, but medium lap times become better.
Maybe it because I used to track better (as it was a new layout for track again), but anyway with lexan wing feeling was much better.
2. Changed Yoko Purple springs to AE springs Purple Front and Yellow rear... not felt any difference...best lap time was even worse, but a little only (12.360sek), but I kept AE as I like better how car feels with those springs on table
3. Changed diff oil at center 500k to 300k.
car become a litle softer feeling, but not a huge difference again.
as best lap was almost the same (12.335sek) decided not to change oils at diff and kept this one for all rest of the day.
4. Put a long wheel base on car.
Squating reduced in the begining I even thought that this change is not good, but lap times showed that its better...best lap now was 12.264 and already several laps where around 12.40sek, so decided to keep also this mod.
5. As my cars rear was hited up after edgy ramps I decided to change shock oil at rear from 300cst to 400cst...again I not felt huge difference, but it seemed that its better now on these edgy ramps...and best lap time droped to 12.201sek.
6. Shortened rear uper link on inside hole on the hub.
WOW...this change was impresive...car allowed to push harder at the exit...Best lap time drops to 11.818sek...but as the 2nd best lap time was only 12.198sek so maybe 11.818sek lap was with some cutted corner but anyway car become much better after this change.
7. The lastly I changed tires, I was driving all the time minipin blue tires at rear and now I put a little worn mini pin 2 yellow tires - and now car was able to push even harder.
In the last two rounds I decided not to make any changes, but to enjoy the day...and help to my son with some advice, as he also drives new EVO.
The final round I ended with the best lap 11.878 as well with some other laps below12sek., so I was just a little slower than last year champ with his xb4`15, but yes, champ made those lap time more consistent, but anyway with my speed I should be able to fight for top3...after 2 weeks will see how the things will go at race.

Thank You to You all for help!
Old 12-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by s22jgs View Post
ok where are the rear link positions and shock positions?
t(cars in the boot of my car at the minute, middle left closest to the diff, outer ones im not sure but built them as per kit, and shocks inner 2nd hole from left and lower is at the outer hole
Old 12-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickygeko View Post
t(cars in the boot of my car at the minute, middle left closest to the diff, outer ones im not sure but built them as per kit, and shocks inner 2nd hole from left and lower is at the outer hole

ok. Looking at the video the floor seems quite slippy?

Going on current settings, drop the rear inner link to the bottom, this will allow the car to roll more again.

With the shocks, assuming the floor is slippy as it seems, bring the shocks in on both the top and bottom. In on the bottom will soften the suspension and allow the car to generate more grip. Bringing the shock in one at the top will also soften things up, but make for a more progressive rear end.

Also coming in on the arms will help the car rotate still after you have added the extra rear grip.
Old 12-10-2015

Quote:
ok. Looking at the video the floor seems quite slippy?

Going on current settings, drop the rear inner link to the bottom, this will allow the car to roll more again.

With the shocks, assuming the floor is slippy as it seems, bring the shocks in on both the top and bottom. In on the bottom will soften the suspension and allow the car to generate more grip. Bringing the shock in one at the top will also soften things up, but make for a more progressive rear end.

Also coming in on the arms will help the car rotate still after you have added the extra rear grip.

Yes is quite slippy, its an indoor running track, rubber surface

Ill move them in for the next outing there, I also removed the sway bars... is it worth putting them back on but maybe lighter ones? Kit ones didnt seem to help or do i just leave them off completely

Haydens next meeting is Friday at ribble where it is high grip carpet with foam tyres (ive put a video up on my Facebook page, its a club video so not the best picture quality, he won as mentioned but the back end was too stiff so going to lighten it for friday)
Old 12-10-2015

Quote:
Yes is quite slippy, its an indoor running track, rubber surface

Ill move them in for the next outing there, I also removed the sway bars... is it worth putting them back on but maybe lighter ones? Kit ones didnt seem to help or do i just leave them off completely

Haydens next meeting is Friday at ribble where it is high grip carpet with foam tyres (ive put a video up on my Facebook page, its a club video so not the best picture quality, he won as mentioned but the back end was too stiff so going to lighten it for friday)
if the traction is that low then it could well be better with roll bars off. But that may be more exagerated by the fact the shocks were rather heavy, and running on the outer hole on the arms
Old 12-10-2015

Quote:
if the traction is that low then it could well be better with roll bars off. But that may be more exagerated by the fact the shocks were rather heavy, and running on the outer hole on the arms
dropping the rear from 500 to 300 is that going to be too big a jump? he likes the feel but as you can see it does need the tweeks mentioned which ill get done asap.

The roll bar removed is so hard! its difficult to get those bad boys off, the gaps almost non existent to get the clip on the arm

***Well done Hardis!
Old 12-10-2015

Quote:
dropping the rear from 500 to 300 is that going to be too big a jump? he likes the feel but as you can see it does need the tweeks mentioned which ill get done asap.

The roll bar removed is so hard! its difficult to get those bad boys off, the gaps almost non existent to get the clip on the arm

***Well done Hardis!
just undo the grub screw on one side, no need to fully remove them
Old 12-10-2015

Quote:
just undo the grub screw on one side, no need to fully remove them

noted for future lol cos he needs them on high grip, ballache taking them off on low grip
Old 14-10-2015

Petit Rc has setups for the evo now.... only 1 or 2 currently but may be worth sharing ours there too

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/sworkz/...kzS104Evo.html
Old 14-10-2015

Quote:
Petit Rc has setups for the evo now.... only 1 or 2 currently but may be worth sharing ours there too

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/sworkz/...kzS104Evo.html
Arno put mine on there when i post then to facebook already.

you can also find mine here http://www.sjgs.co?page=setups
Old 15-10-2015

Quote:
Arno put mine on there when i post then to facebook already.

you can also find mine here http://www.sjgs.co?page=setups
Steve, on your setup sheet you put the spacer on the top control arm in front of the arm... we have it at thre rear of the arm, what does moving it forward do?

Thanks
Old 15-10-2015

Quote:
Steve, on your setup sheet you put the spacer on the top control arm in front of the arm... we have it at thre rear of the arm, what does moving it forward do?

Thanks
GIves you more caster. It will calm the initial steering, and give more mid corner and on exit steering. Makes the car a bit easier to drive too.
Old 15-10-2015

Thanks Steve
Old 15-10-2015

Can't seem to find the answer in the manual,

Is it possible to adjust the rear toe in using the included arm mount inserts?

I think my car would benefit from less

Chris
Old 15-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post

Chris

On the setup sheet posted it shows rear toe in - -1/0/+1 but think that actually refers to squat

my guess is you need a different rear hingepin holder...
Old 15-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post

Chris
nope. be surprised if you needed less than 3. it already had shed loads of steering
Old 25-10-2015

1st round of Bury Metro indoor season todaytoday. We have 3 evos attending today, all 3 slightly different setups let's hope we can get some wins on the board today
Old 25-10-2015

Evos went well today, 2 of the top 3 4wd final were evos, Chris in 2nd and Mark 3rd. Im sure Chris and mark will chip in shortly as they both made quite a few changes. Haydens car was kit bar the centre diff which was lowered to 20k. Setup still needs tweaking but Hayden was happy with the drive, started in C heat and managed to get into B final p7 and finished 5th which was great. congratulations to Chris and Mark
Old 26-10-2015

awesome!

I got a 6th at Off Road Wars. We also had 2 other Evo's in the C final but they were at disadvantage as they couldnt make saturday practice.

Happy with my 6th - i had some real issues with the amount of grip the rear of the car was generating on mini pin 2's.

On a positive note, the shocks were working really well. 2x1.4 in the front with 50wt oil, and 2x1.5 and 2x1mm holes in the rear with 40wt.
Old 26-10-2015

Good going Steve,

I totally agree about the rear end being too locked in so I went out with the intention of trying to make the front of the car more nimble off power as I've found the car consistent but a little safe so far.
The track was around 50/50 very high grip carpet and slippy gym floor. Even on the slippy sweeper at the end of the straight the car just wouldn't come round enough into turn one losing a lot of time.

Through the day I increased the front caster to give a little more steering through the corner and increased the rear wheelbase to take some of the weight off the rear tyres. I noticed that the rear had lots of droop and the front very little so I unwound the front shock eyelets 3.5 turns (maybe a little too much so will maybe reduce to 2 turns for next time) which made the car far more balanced front to rear and settled the car a lot when going through the skippy bumps as the car landed between them far better. The biggest improvement in making the car feel more racey was to move the front shocks to the inner hole on the front wishbone which gave me the steering i needed to keep the car tight into the corner although the rear was a little looser on corner exit.

I'd been around a second a lap slower than Team C driver Adam Perei's fast laps all day but these changes put me just .2 of a second off his quickest for the final. I stayed with Adam for half the race before getting caught on the carpeted ramp somehow losing a few seconds and drove a few tatty laps allowing Adam to drive away with a faultless run.

Given that this is only the 3rd time ive ever raced a 4wd I need to start learning to drive the car more like a 4wd and not like a 2wd. That said to be on pace with Adam who is a very quick driver especially on low grip surfaces with years of 4wd experience is very promising. This car is getting better and better and inspires confidence.

Fellow Sworkz driver Mark Redmond rolled home in 3rd. Running a far different setup to mine he didn't quite get onto his usual pace yesterday. We was running far different diff oil setups with 500k in mine and on 20k in Mark's centre diff. As you would expect Mark's was far smoother on power than mine but was still trying different shock oil combo's to get the desired feel. I was running 600/400 oils with AE purple front and AE green rear springs where Mark was running 650/300 oils but unsure of springs- I'm sure he will share shortly.

Young Hayden Calf is learning quickly and got far more assured with his car through the day. Hayden was running new faster equipment for the first time on a slippy track so took a little bit of getting used to the conditions and extra speed. Hayden looked nice and assured and I'm sure when he's got used to the extra power in the car he will develop into a very handy driver.

Onwards and upwards for Sworkz!!!

Thanks once again to Sworkz UK/Answer RC for the support.

Chris