Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 29-05-2014

Default what is the best 17.5t motor

Hi all
I am looking at getting a new motor to go with my shiny new vampire sr1+ my wife has just bought me for my birthday, at the moment I run a 13.5tmotor on a small indoor track and was wondering whether to go to a 17.5t as this seems popular at other clubs so I could go elsewhere without having to change motors each time. my question is what do you guys rate as the best motor around £50 or below(as funds are restricted as my son also races) also 17.5t or stick with 13.5t.
Thanks in advance Bob
Old 29-05-2014
Mad Member

The Thunder Power is quite popular. Also the Turnigy Trackstar is a bargain (£22) if you don't mind waiting for shipping from HK (approx 2 weeks)
Old 30-05-2014

Speed passion MMM
G Force
Sky Toro
All good value £50 I have the G force and race on small tracks it has plenty of power available and runs quite cool. The Sky Toro stuff is identical, not had it too long so don't know longievity. Always used the Speed passion motors before that but you don't see many using the 17.5 not sure why.
Old 30-05-2014

If you can find one I'd get a vampire 17.5. They have been reduced to £40 as there's a new version coming out.
Old 30-05-2014
Mad Member

If not doing BRCA then turnigy track star is the best value for money, and they are very good.
Old 30-05-2014

thanks guys, I like the look of the vampire, sp mmm & the thunder power, still can't get my head round the less well known cheaper brands sure their fine or better than fine but niggle at back of my head still thinks their cheaper for a reason, how long do they last
Old 31-05-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
still can't get my head round the less well known cheaper brands sure their fine or better than fine but niggle at back of my head still thinks their cheaper for a reason, how long do they last
They are cheaper for a reason: you are buying direct from abroad. Don't be put off by the price of the Turnigy stuff - durability and performance is up there with best. All 3 of my cars are powered by Turnigy/Hobbyking electrics and haven't had any problems

Some will not buy it because, if you buy from Hobbyking, you are not supporting UK model shops and their customer service can be iffy if something goes wrong. But their prices cannot be ignored! Their LIPOs are very popular, but are not on the BRCA list

My biggest niggle is that they don't always have everything in stock in their UK warehouse, which means you either have to wait or pay international postage (and wait!!!!!!). On those grounds the £40 Vampire might be a good option if you can find one.

I love racing 17.5t TC - so smooth and good wheel-wheel racing
Old 31-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
If you can find one I'd get a vampire 17.5. They have been reduced to £40 as there's a new version coming out.
They claim to have 5 in stock here
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...re-racing.html
Old 01-06-2014

thanks again guys
Vampire now on order from mb, if all goes well I may look at dropping my son to 17.5 as well (try and get him smoother round the track) but I have to admit being a typical bloke I just like the raw speed even if I can't handle it.
Cheers Bob
Old 04-06-2014

My son run a Turnigy trackstar 17.5 indoors for our winter series (indoor Polished wood circut)
Plenty fast enough once you get the gearing setup
Old 04-06-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2Visuvesi View Post
My son run a Turnigy trackstar 17.5 indoors for our winter series (indoor Polished wood circut)
Plenty fast enough once you get the gearing setup
What timing/gearing did he use?
Old 04-06-2014

Standard kit spur gear for a Mi1 and I believe it was a 27T pinion. I will need to pop the top off and take a look
Timing was std and the speed controller had the punch turned right down.

This gave plenty of power for the low grip surface we raced on. We found too much punch would cause the back end to break away when powering out of the corners. Quite entertaining to watch him coming out of the corners sideways but not great for laptimes.