Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 12-12-2014
Administrator

Default All 2WD should be rear motor

Discuss
Old 12-12-2014

It worked fine for years but it's time for a change now. Look at formula 1, going from front engine to mid engine.

-Jeremy
Old 12-12-2014
Administrator

does it spoil the appeal though? it's a different driving style. I've limited experience but what i've noticed is it's more point and shoot and less flowing. maybe my old brain is wrong
Old 12-12-2014

Tracks are what is driving the evolution of this particular class. Tracks have evolved from pure dirt, to hard packed clay, to sugar treated clay and to carpet and astroturf in europe.
So cars are evolving along. Though us rear motor lovers shouldn't criticize cars, we should criticize track owners. But that's not possible as high grip tracks have followers nowadays as dirt tracks had.
I think it's a matter of time. In a couple of years maybe a new material will be found that would build dirt tracks that have medium traction that stays the same all day long without maintenance and then we can all switch back to rear motor and listen to the banter of those wanting mid motor cars. Or worse... front motor cars.
Old 12-12-2014

Then should we all be using brushed motors and NiMH batterys? Its evolution, if the cars didn't evolve then we'd still all be running rc10 lol
Old 12-12-2014
Administrator

errrr, only car i raced this year was rc10 in the oople goldtub series.

bloody brilliant fun!!!
Old 12-12-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silberpfeil View Post
It worked fine for years but it's time for a change now. Look at formula 1, going from front engine to mid engine.

-Jeremy
F1 gets tuned back everytime the cars get too good though - to make it more of a spectacle.
Old 12-12-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to purplenut

totally agree i love the weight @ the rear end, Schumacher cougar works handled very well, 90% of my cars have been 2wd rear motor only 10% 4wd.
rear is a fun driving style.....
Cougar works
Losi 8E Tuggy brushless
4 boys(will be expensive in rc world)
Old 12-12-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

The gripe I got is that if you want to be a 'racer' then you need a 2wd for all occaisions, front mid, rear mid and rear motor, as with everything, they are all a compromise to one extent or another. I do get what Jimmy is saying though, rear was more 'graceful' and front mid, super aggressive.
Old 12-12-2014
Administrator

Steering with a bit of brakes and throttle to get the car rotating is a sweet feeling. Not as sweet when a mid motor car just turns inside you and you eat dust tho
Old 12-12-2014

What needs to be introduced in 2wd is nominated chassis, fine turn up with 3 car's but you have to nominate what you'll be driving at booking in that way if the weather turn's for better or worse you still have to run what you nominated, not go and get your cheater or low grip car, it's getting back to the point of most money win's it's ridiculous having track specific cars and unfair if you don't want that much money tied up in the hobby but have to too stay competitive, manufactures need to focus on more versatile cars that suit varied conditions and surfaces!!!
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----

Last edited by NeilRalph77; 13-12-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2014
Administrator

Worksop last year, greg williams took round one qually with his rear motor car but as the temperature came up he had to switch to mid car to be competitive.

For me it's just about having fun whilst driving and I have fun with a rear motor car that I can position with the throttle and things seem to flow a bit more. But everyone has their own style and preference.
Old 12-12-2014

For me it's just about having fun whilst driving and I have fun with a rear motor car that I can position with the throttle and things seem to flow a bit more. But everyone has their own style and preference.[/QUOTE]

Me too I have a lot of fun with my rear motor 2wd, and that's the main thing for me is having FUN.
Old 12-12-2014
Administrator

I gave up caring about being national champion long ago
Old 13-12-2014

2wd is prob the most expensive class at a competitive level in rc at the moment prob even more than 1/8th rally x
Old 13-12-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

I think as long as the rear ends powered doesnt matter where everything else is. What your forgetting is mid motor cars have been out and used in the 80's (Tekin) and 90's (Fabiix) but wasnt designed that well to get the most out of the chassis.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 13-12-2014
Mad Member

Rear motored only heat at the oOple series

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 13-12-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I think as long as the rear ends powered doesnt matter where everything else is. What your forgetting is mid motor cars have been out and used in the 80's (Tekin) and 90's (Fabiix) but wasnt designed that well to get the most out of the chassis.
You know its either axle right?
I own mid cars from before tekin probably existed, 566b. I prefer off road that's loose or slippy myself, i like to get a slide on with a bit of oppo
Old 13-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
For me it's just about having fun whilst driving and I have fun with a rear motor car that I can position with the throttle and things seem to flow a bit more. But everyone has their own style and preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHawk View Post
Me too I have a lot of fun with my rear motor 2wd, and that's the main thing for me is having FUN.

For me, this is the most fun car & class of all, good 'ol York. Even Neil Lewis ran his Yok Bmax2 in rear motor config. There's nothing better than catching a bit of drift on a hair pin, but I do agree times do move on faster than I do.

I hope Neil doesn't show the video of last weeks final, I binned it on the first bend!!

P.S. I like the gold stuff!!

Last edited by bretts; 13-12-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 13-12-2014

Hey..

Just a few weeks ago I ran my vintage RC10 team car @ York....It was fantastic fun, but i do agree that with all our tracks now being Astroturf the mid motor cars are way faster...

I think you've got to run what ever you like and derive the most enjoyment from be it mid or rear motor...

JIm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM4799.JPG (646.2 KB, 5 views)