Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals

View Poll Results: lipo list
keep the rules as current efra/eb 18 12.00%
allow some discression have a 1 or 2mm tolerance to cover comercially available cells 93 62.00%
i would consider not doing a BRCA sanctioned meeting if i could not do lipo 68 45.33%
i will race brca sanctioned events no matter what 36 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh View Post
As far as dropping the BRCA, a region would not participate in a BRCA sanctioned event, ie BRCA regionals.

The East of England, a struggling region is seriously considering this. The EoE regional AGM, in the next couple of weeks, should be very interesting.
News to me

Anyway back on topic, I don't understand why people just can't wait for the list to be publicised by the BRCA about what will and won't be legal.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 10-11-2008

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

This came to me last night while I was thinking about the LiPo situation.
It seems kinda obvious to me, but I am willing to hold my hand out to anyone who spots a hole in my thought.

There were never any dimension size restrictions for any SUB C assembled packs whether they be Stick or Saddle. the only stipulation was down to each cell measuring upto the laid out dimension including tolerances.

So why should there be overall size dimension for LiPo packaging?

Think about a saddle pack of NiMh, there is no ruling on the dimensions including soldering tags, which are an essential part of the packaging for them to work.
The same can be said for stick packs. The cells are soldered together, then heat shrunk again 'for protection' then end capped. There was no limit on the length and or width of the assembled pack.

I see why dimensions are being used to control the size of LiPo and make them easy to 'scrutineer', but surley a bit of common sense should prevail here from the BRCA.

Why don't the BRCA make dimensional rules for Saddle Packs and rules for Stick packs. (Obviously 2 of the dimensions will be the same Width and Height of the case, but the capping Length will be different, for obvious reasons.

This would allow people who have already 'gone' Lipo to use their stuff at future meetings. Keeping the numbers of racers up and the cost down and the people at the BRCA would be seen to have their finger on the pulse and keeping their members both old and new happy with simple regulations that minimise the hassle and cost of changing to a new technology.

Yes I do run Trakpower, but really, should that matter? Someone please try and find a hole in my simple reasoning.

Powered by OptiPower

Do, or do not, there is no try!
Old 10-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Adam, im with you on that one. But it could be expanded upon further, why have dimensions for the sealed pack, why not a dimension for the actual cell within the pack? This would be more of an equivalent to the Sub-C rules?

As for Nimh, how many of us saw Ste Pierce have a pack of (my) Nimh cells explode while normal charging yesterday? SMC EnerG 4600's and not only did one blow, but the melted heatshrink meant the next cell shorted and it threw a flame from the cell like a burning gas bottle!!! Which he then put in a Lipo-sack to take outside, and it burnt the sack!!!!

Now we have Lipo, regardless of my loyalties, if the rules meant we still had to run Nimh - well im sorry but im going back to club level racing to run Lipo until Lipo is allowed..... as it happens it is now, and im pleased as both my cars run stick. But I would like for saddles to be allowed, and again regardless of my loyalties to Trakpower, id like for saddles to be allowed so all people have the choice of Lipo without changing chassis - as we all know Trakpower has been the most popular choice of saddles, possibly stick too, a lot of people already have them - and therefore hope some flexibility to see them allowed, afterall they are no different internally to stick packs, so no advantage to be had by them.

I do hold hope in the BRCA, they recognise we all do this sport to enjoy it, and they do represent us the best they can - so will reserve any more thoughts til the list comes out.

Chris
Old 10-11-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
... Which he then put in a Lipo-sack to take outside, and it burnt the sack!!!!....
That, i think, proves the whole lipo sack theory is something short of being worthwhile in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

chris did the sack just burn as in scorch or catch fire?
Old 10-11-2008

So in effect, the NE is having a large 'interclub' series, to their own rules, with some use of the BRCA handbook. A regional is a regional, and must be run to BRCA rules for you to qualify for point.

Interclubs are the way to go, and then maybe the EB, when they get a low entry, will realise that the Stick Pack lipo rule is a little daft.
Old 10-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've guessing formula ratings can't be issued based on an interclub comp? So everyone would drop? Otherwise it would be the perfect solution.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
So in effect, the NE is having a large 'interclub' series, to their own rules, with some use of the BRCA handbook. A regional is a regional, and must be run to BRCA rules for you to qualify for point.

Interclubs are the way to go, and then maybe the EB, when they get a low entry, will realise that the Stick Pack lipo rule is a little daft.
northy can correct me here

i think that the region can still use this as a qualifier for the winter finals, (which are run to brca rules) if it were done outdoors im not sure you would get an F grading

help G please!!
Old 10-11-2008
Super Moderator

We are using our indoor series purely as a 'guide' as to who qualifies for the Indoor Finals places that the NE is allocated

F grades can not be earned indoors, only from an outdoor series. The 2009 NE outdoor Regionals will be run to full BRCA rules.

G
Old 10-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi MC, I heard the same - might be in another thread, I can't remember. If the region runs a BRCA regional through the winter then that take precedence, otherwise a series such as this, and if nothing then they use the summer regional series.
Old 10-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
chris did the sack just burn as in scorch or catch fire?
It burnt the sack, the sack didn't catch fire - it served it purpose but on Nimhs rather than Lipo's.

Id encourage all to have a Lipo sack, even if you consider Lipo risk to be small, as proven they can protect from many other things if required.
Old 10-11-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Skelding View Post
This came to me last night while I was thinking about the LiPo situation.
It seems kinda obvious to me, but I am willing to hold my hand out to anyone who spots a hole in my thought.

There were never any dimension size restrictions for any SUB C assembled packs whether they be Stick or Saddle. the only stipulation was down to each cell measuring upto the laid out dimension including tolerances.

So why should there be overall size dimension for LiPo packaging?

Think about a saddle pack of NiMh, there is no ruling on the dimensions including soldering tags, which are an essential part of the packaging for them to work.
The same can be said for stick packs. The cells are soldered together, then heat shrunk again 'for protection' then end capped. There was no limit on the length and or width of the assembled pack.

I see why dimensions are being used to control the size of LiPo and make them easy to 'scrutineer', but surley a bit of common sense should prevail here from the BRCA.

Why don't the BRCA make dimensional rules for Saddle Packs and rules for Stick packs. (Obviously 2 of the dimensions will be the same Width and Height of the case, but the capping Length will be different, for obvious reasons.

This would allow people who have already 'gone' Lipo to use their stuff at future meetings. Keeping the numbers of racers up and the cost down and the people at the BRCA would be seen to have their finger on the pulse and keeping their members both old and new happy with simple regulations that minimise the hassle and cost of changing to a new technology.

Yes I do run Trakpower, but really, should that matter? Someone please try and find a hole in my simple reasoning.
Bloody well said!!!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 10-11-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark Christopher View Post
Chris did the sack just burn as in scorch or catch fire?
it stopped the flames from coming through the sack, it melted the out side of the sack but did stop it spreading, i haven't seen anything like that before , nor do i want to see it again, i would use a lipo sack for nimh too if your using them,
Old 10-11-2008
Super Moderator

The flame coming out of the bare metal cell looked well cool, it looked like a mini jet engine

I did get Mia out of the way though until it was outside

G
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
it stopped the flames from coming through the sack, it melted the out side of the sack but did stop it spreading, i haven't seen anything like that before , nor do i want to see it again, i would use a lipo sack for nimh too if your using them,
Transmitters also

think it may have been Chris Green's that was smoking on his pit table when I returned from watching the 2wd A final.
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 10-11-2008

next time im charging both a nimh and a lipo at the same time (obiously ,different chargers) im gonna use the pouch for the nimhs, unless i buy 2 pouches.
Old 10-11-2008
Lee-Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
I did get Mia out of the way though until it was outside

G

To be fair though she shouldn't be left charging cells alone

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 10-11-2008
Super Moderator

True brother, true.

G
Old 10-11-2008

from what I hear, Mia does a far better job than the G-Man.... although you shouldn't ask her to sell your cars for you online...... you might miss a buyer
Old 10-11-2008

back on topic please boys and girls