Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 31-08-2007

Default Wheel Dye

Greetings all, Just ordered myself a B4 and I'm figuring I'll go for a complete black paintjob and was wondering if its possible to dye the wheels to match?

Anyone done it? success or failure?
Old 31-08-2007
Admin

Its really easy,I use Dylon dye like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RED-DYLON-NO-9...QQcmdZViewItem

Put the dye and some salt in an old pan, bring to the boil, turn heat as low as possible, after a moment or two drop the wheels in and leave on the lowest heat for about 30 mins. (dont drop wheels in when boiling it could distort them). Job Done
Old 31-08-2007

Cheers, I have done it in the past with excellent results, Just really want to make sure the wheels themselves are suitable for the process, Its a 2 week wait to get gear to this part of the world, and I would hate to ruin the wheels before the kit gets its first run.
Old 31-08-2007

Just make sure you place all the wheels the same way up and that they go in for the same length of time or you'll get differences. Dylon does give great results. If your going to put holes in the wheels put them in before you die them and you won't be able to see the white of the wheel showing through.
Old 31-08-2007

My experiance with Dylon failed... this is with Proline dishes.

Heres my all black B4 with uh, bright orange wheels (these photos were taken before my wonderful oople stickers turnt up )

Old 01-09-2007

Just a quick note, dylon won't work on old wheels that have had super glue on them as the dye won't cover the superglue, with new wheels I've never had a problem.
Old 01-09-2007

Very cool, I'm going to throw up a couple of pictures, Granted they aren't anything associated but...meh, they show what I'm trying to go for.

First off, My black Gator with Orange dyed wheels, The effect worked well imo and the car looked pretty snazzy when first painted. She has had a hard life since then as my main bash till death RC. I even raced it a couple of times when my preferred cars were out of action.

anyhow.

What I would like to achieve with the B4 is along the lines of this next pic, also a Gator.

Old 01-09-2007

You should be able too, here's my pred with Dyed black wheels, the B4 is going to get them next I just need a new shell painted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg t_a_165.jpg (4.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-09-2007
Banned

this should be helpful:
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/dye.htm
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/dyepg2.htm