Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

Old 05-07-2011

Default First timer

Hi I have a Tamiya Dark Impact and was wondering if I could come along? I'm still pretty new to RC racing so go easy on me

Paul
Old 05-07-2011

Hi Paul, I'll be a first time racer at Torch too if you can make it on sunday ?? Not raced for many years so just as much a newbie
Old 05-07-2011
Mad Member

Hi Paul

You are very welcome to come along on Sunday.

Be handy if you let someone know when you book in that it is your first Torch meeting so we can make sure you know who to ask if you get stuck with the racing or car questions.

Is this your first meeting or have you raced elsewhere?

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 05-07-2011

Rob is there a list of 'must haves' to bring along .....

Obviously some cash to pay £8 iirc (not member at the mo)
Some munchies as there is nothing on site iirc ??
Spares/tools ??
How many battery packs will be needed ??
Old 05-07-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
Rob is there a list of 'must haves' to bring along .....

Obviously some cash to pay £8 iirc (not member at the mo)
Some munchies as there is nothing on site iirc ??
Spares/tools ??
How many battery packs will be needed ??

Hi

I would not worry about bringing too much stuff - if you get hooked, you'll soon work out what stuff you actually need and also find a load of really cool stuff you want even if you don't need it.

For your first meeting, I'd suggest all you'll need is:

Your car and transmitter - bit obvious that one
Batteries for car - ideal at least 2 packs - and a suitable charger and 12V source to charge from. We usually have around 6 to 7 races in total so you are going to need to recharge during the morning
Any tools you have although I am sure you can borrow any you need initially.
A folding table and chair is useful so you've got somewhere to work on your car.

You'll probably want to bring a drink and something to eat as we usually finish around 13.00. Sun hat if its warm!!

Anyone else think of "must have" items I've missed?

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 05-07-2011

Snacks are available track side also tyres,wheels and inserts can be brought trackside.
What type of batteries do you have?. If they're nimh or nicads 2 packs will be a struggle because they need to discharged before re-charge and you will not get charged in time for the next race. If you have lipo's then 2 batteries will do as you can charge them without needing to discharge the packs. Some people use the one lipo battery pack and just about manage to charge in time for the race but I would recommend 2 packs of lipo's or at least 4 nicad or nimh battery packs.
Hope this helps?
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom_driving View Post
Hi I have a Tamiya Dark Impact and was wondering if I could come along? I'm still pretty new to RC racing so go easy on me

Paul
Chaps

Make sure u go over car and make sure diffs/clutch/gearing/screws all nice and tights etc, tyres glued up if not already.

Remember the 5 p's, all torch members are great when it comes to advice, just come prepared with your car and make sure it will take the track conditions! Bumps and jumps!

You will enjoy allot more if prep is good
Old 05-07-2011

I'll be along on Sunday (as long as there is no rain..) I have 4 Nimhs but I'm not sure on the condition of two of them as they are probably over 3 years old Might have to visit the shops soon then
Old 06-07-2011

Got a couple of packs of LIPOS coming, plus one small pack i could use for the test run 8-9 so should be ok ! Got some spares but i think suspension will be the weak point as my new stuff hasn't arrived, can suck it and see
Old 07-07-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom_driving View Post
I'll be along on Sunday (as long as there is no rain..) I have 4 Nimhs but I'm not sure on the condition of two of them as they are probably over 3 years old Might have to visit the shops soon then
Just to confirm you can just top them up on the day as long as they are NIMH and not NICAD. If i was you i would put a few cycles through them before sunday so they are working as well as they can.
Old 12-07-2011

Hi, so I am looking at coming back into racing after nearly 20 years away, i used to race Cats at the Dudley club... now living down here for 10 years would like to get into it again... and TORCH is what i want to gear up for... based on what little i have seen of the website...

I have questions regarding the Lipos and motors...

Also are there any capacities that are not BRCA legal, also motors, i was looking at a 5.5T brushless... without knowing much difference from modified brushed motors, and my rusty mind... what recommendations would someone have for use at TORCH... I have just order a SX3 which is waiting at the post office for me...also pinion ratios (used to use Tufnel 64DP if i recall, is this is prefered)??? I have been looking at the set-up of the SX2, but need a more specific shopping list...

also any recommendations for a charger, i am looking at Lipo Orion 6000- 45C saddle packs, and do not know if they are charged as one, or two units???? very different from the old solder and match your own Nicad days...

Help would be really appreciated...

Cheers

Alex
Old 12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKay View Post
Hi, so I am looking at coming back into racing after nearly 20 years away, i used to race Cats at the Dudley club... now living down here for 10 years would like to get into it again... and TORCH is what i want to gear up for... based on what little i have seen of the website...

I have questions regarding the Lipos and motors...

Also are there any capacities that are not BRCA legal, also motors, i was looking at a 5.5T brushless... without knowing much difference from modified brushed motors, and my rusty mind... what recommendations would someone have for use at TORCH... I have just order a SX3 which is waiting at the post office for me...also pinion ratios (used to use Tufnel 64DP if i recall, is this is prefered)??? I have been looking at the set-up of the SX2, but need a more specific shopping list...

also any recommendations for a charger, i am looking at Lipo Orion 6000- 45C saddle packs, and do not know if they are charged as one, or two units???? very different from the old solder and match your own Nicad days...

Help would be really appreciated...

Cheers

Alex
hello mate the liposadels are charged as a pair on a balance charge. core rc are good chargers can be found on the schumacher site. 5.5 will be well rapid in a sx3 with the right gearing if you havent been racing for a long time then something a bit calmer mite b better for you to get back into it before you buy to much mite be a idear to pop down on sunday and speak to members down the club about what is the best kit to buy dan brown runs a sx3 with a 5.5 in it and i run one with a 6.5 both are not slow every one is very helpfull at torch
Old 12-07-2011

Torch is where I got back into my racing again, everyone is really helpful and the club is really well run.
I'm planning on selling my saddle lipos very soon as part of a slow upgrade PM me if interested. They got me back into racing and are still plenty good enough for 29sec laps last Sunday. If it gets another racer going to torch and saves them a few quid in the process I'll be well chuffed.
Chris B
Old 12-07-2011

Thanks, I will most certainly come down to have a look, although it is likley to be at least 2 or 3 weeks until the car and equipment are all together.... and I would be interested in any second hand equipment, although on the car is a done deal now, and I thought it best to get something that will not limit me, but I will limit it...

Thanks again

Alex
Old 14-07-2011

Thanks for the advice, got a 6.5T Speed passion, and will prob tone it down on the controller for the first few times...