Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 15-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Default X6 Cubed first official "Body Off" pictures

X-Factory Release First “Body Off” Shots of the X6 Cubed

We have obtained body-off photos of X Factory engineer Paul Sinclair’s prototype X–6 Cubed, which we are now able to reveal. In recent months X-Factory has released photos with the body on, but they have kept the lid on details of the new car while final details of the design were being worked out. As can be seen from the photos, the X–6 Cubed will be an all carbon fibre car in keeping with X-Factory’s recently released SCX–60CF short course and the X–60CF stadium truck.

Spokesman Chazz Sinclair said, “We will be an all-carbon fibre company in about 6 weeks when the Cubed is released. Both the X–6 Squared and X–60 will still be available; they are molded chassis cars and there are certain advantages to that, but we believe most customers will prefer the lightweight, narrow carbon fibre cars.”

While the X–6 Cubed is similar in some ways to the X–60CF and SCX–60CF, that basic design has been changed and updated to many buggy specific changes. Engineer Paul Sinclair explained “Buggies are lighter and shorter, so you want different characteristics in how they take bumps, jump, and corner. Especially, they must flex differently, and we have achieved that in the X–6 Cubed.”

Several important features of the new X – 6 Cubed:

• Carbon fibre construction
  • New top deck for easily adjustable chassis flex. Able to adjust both the amount of flex and where the chassis flexes.
  • New slim design for better cornering and performance over bumps.
  • Very close to minimum legal weight (lighter than many other buggies)
  • Moves rear shock tower forward. This moves the wing forward for better performance in the air. Many think it looks better too.
  • Great carbon fibre and polished aluminium look.
  • All new body and medium-downforce wing. (Existing high-downforce wing still fits also).
  • Retains X Factory’s great 4-Gear transmission.
  • Retains the X–6 Squared’s rear pivot and control arms.
  • Uses either saddle or shorty pack (both can be moved forward or back to change weight distribution easily and quickly).
Paul Sinclair said, “The car in these photos is my prototype car, and there are a few minor changes between this and final production. The biggest one is the way the ball studs are mounted to the rear tower, in production, the ballstuds will be in the same location but mounted vertically. Also, the body mounts are not on my car. Otherwise, this is pretty much it.”

Chazz added, “Eight Team drivers in U.K. have Cube’s, along with one in Belgium, one in Australia, and six U.S. Team drivers. Every one of them reports 2-3 tenths faster lap times than with their Squareds. More important, everyone says the Cubed is even easier to drive fast than the Squared was. That’s hard to believe, but they are unanimous. They describe the X–6 Cubed as ‘light and nimble’ compared to the Squared. The Cubed truly is higher math.”

After several delays from various parts suppliers, the X–6 Cubed should now begin shipping to dealers in early June. The car will be available two ways: a “Conversion Kit” for the AE B4/4.1/4.2 models and an “UpGrade Kit” for the X–6 Squared existing owners. More details on pricing to follow soon......

There is also a videocast where both Chazz and Paul reveal the car “body off” too, which can be found here - http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/Videos.php

More pictures can be found on our facebook page, UK distribution website and the X-Factory US website

X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 15-05-2013

Pfff missed chance to update the gearbox to fit a geardiff as far as I can see.
Old 15-05-2013

The car looks great! Great work Chazz & co and you are correct, carbon is the right way to go this is my next racing machine thank you.
Old 15-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEENAD View Post
Pfff missed chance to update the gearbox to fit a geardiff as far as I can see.
Wow, you're taking the worst possible approach to look at this conversion If you need it that badly, make a 3D model of the casing with a mod to accept wider diffs and have it 3D printed: It will cost something between 20-35 euros - that's very cheap for a one-off functional part. Keep in mind X-Factory need to invest in costly moulds to do this, it's not worth it when the majority will probably keep running a ball diff anyway.

I love it! I've seen it in action, it looked so frisky, alive and nimble! Under the lid it's fitting to that: It's a lovely sight to behold whilst working on your car! One to watch and definetely on the wishlist to test/try out!
Old 15-05-2013
Mad Member

I was expecting something alot different.

What with all the current cars in the top end of UK nationals having Ally chassis.
Old 15-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePimlott View Post
I was expecting something alot different.

What with all the current cars in the top end of UK nationals having Ally chassis.
Alloy was tested and the Carbon was found to be far better.... unlike others X-Factory have never been a one to simply "copy" what else is already out there, if they simply copied then we would not have seen mid motor cars burst on the scene like we did several years back now.....

Alloy is nothing new, the Schumachers, Associated's and Kyosho's of the early 90's (and late 80's) were all alloy, before they went through the phase of moulded versiosn of graphite/plastic and carbon fibre chassis's and back full circle to alloy again. I would bet sometime in the future it all moves around again too.....
Old 16-05-2013
Mad Member

Darren is correct. For about six months two of our Team drivers here in the U.S. have been testing Aluminum chassis Cubes, and they are faster than the Squared. We also have been testing CF for about four months, so we have considerable experience with both, and impressions from different drivers. We selected CF for many reasons, mostly because it has been faster.

With the CF X - 6 Cubed, the most important part of the set-up sheet will be which top deck bolts are snugged down tight, which ones are a bit loose, and which are not installed at all. Can't do that with aluminum...

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 16-05-2013

Will there be lots of adjustability on inner rear camber link position (particularly height) for production? This is useful tuneable on the C4.1 that I always wish I had on my X6. Ability to move the battery back and forth will be good in the UK for wet and dry running.
Old 16-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
For about six months two of our Team drivers here in the U.S. have been testing Aluminum chassis Cubes, and they are faster than the Squared.
What about the UK drivers ? have they had Alloy Chassis to compare ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
With the CF X - 6 Cubed, the most important part of the set-up sheet will be which top deck bolts are snugged down tight, which ones are a bit loose, and which are not installed at all. Can't do that with aluminum...
This can be done on the Schumacher 2WD alloy chassis by the number of screws or body clips in the top deck! Or just like leaving screws out of side pods to tune Flex on Alloy chassis ? XB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Boyle View Post
Alloy was tested and the Carbon was found to be far better
In the UK ?

Quote:
Alloy is nothing new, the Schumachers, Associated's and Kyosho's of the early 90's (and late 80's) were all alloy, before they went through the phase of moulded versiosn of graphite/plastic and carbon fibre chassis's and back full circle to alloy again. I would bet sometime in the future it all moves around again too.....
i suspect the move to carbon / plastic tubs was to save weight when Nimhs where being used, when we switched to lipos the X6 (Ellis) weight kit made huge improvements to handling, every other manufacturer has learned from this and is now using heavier Alloy Chassis again.

Just my opinions guys, I was looking forward to the release and i got myself a B4.1 ready.
Old 16-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
I'm lead to believe that a lot of the early testing and design work was done over here first, and alloy was used then.
Old 16-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntH View Post
Will there be lots of adjustability on inner rear camber link position (particularly height) for production? This is useful tuneable on the C4.1 that I always wish I had on my X6. Ability to move the battery back and forth will be good in the UK for wet and dry running.
HI Ant, yes the inner rear ballstuds will be "vertical" on the production spec car (shown horizontal in the pictures) so you can adjust the ballstud height infinitely with shims/washers (like the front)

Battery movement was a key feature and you do not need to purchase any extra parts or alternative fancy battery retainers to be able to do it.
Old 16-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:

This can be done on the Schumacher 2WD alloy chassis by the number of screws or body clips in the top deck! Or just like leaving screws out of side pods to tune Flex on Alloy chassis ? XB4

In the UK ?

i suspect the move to carbon / plastic tubs was to save weight when Nimhs where being used, when we switched to lipos the X6 (Ellis) weight kit made huge improvements to handling, every other manufacturer has learned from this and is now using heavier Alloy Chassis again.

Just my opinions guys, I was looking forward to the release and i got myself a B4.1 ready.
Hi Mike, You can rest assured that all variants of the car and components have been tested on a multiple array of surfaces and all over the world in the hands of the team before the choice was made to go CF. The only material we did not test was in fact a moulded tub since we found with the Squared this restricted us slightly and with constantly evolving cars and set ups a "solid shape" was increasingly hard to work with.

The main difference wit the flex tuning on the Cubed is that removal of any screws will NOT put into jeopardy the strength of the car, all pivot and fixing points have been designed to overlap and multiple pick ups and fixing points on the top deck and chassis mounts allow for a selection of mounting positions to connect it all together, not just as simple as leaving a screw out or putting one in here or there and certainly no body clips holding anything together or in place (other than the body)

The old plastic chassis are probably heavier than you think, in many cases some of the alloy chassis todays are lighter than the plastic moulded ones, I think it was more to create a one piece item rather then to have multiple parts at the time, but on the Cubed this approach is now being used to tune the car as described above. Plus many of the reason why manufactures turned away from alloy in the first place was because it bent and stayed bent, and to be fair this is still an issue on some of todays cars using that material too.

Like I said in my first reply, X-Factory are not the sort of company to simply follow the crowd or make something simply because everyone else does it that way.....

Think you will like it when it arrives, we certainly do....
Old 16-05-2013

Hey Darren, how bout some pics of your car ???
Old 16-05-2013

Quote:
HI Ant, yes the inner rear ballstuds will be "vertical" on the production spec car (shown horizontal in the pictures) so you can adjust the ballstud height infinitely with shims/washers (like the front)

Battery movement was a key feature and you do not need to purchase any extra parts or alternative fancy battery retainers to be able to do it.
Thanks, it would be good if the lowest position (no washers) was, say, 2-3mm lower than the X6 sq. I run without e-speed hangers on the outside hole with 1mm removed, but would run lower if I could to tie the rear end down more and avoid using a rear bar. This is approx. the geometry most people run on the Centro. Just my 2p worth with the best intentions!
Old 17-05-2013
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Quote:
Hi Mike, You can rest assured that all variants of the car and components have been tested on a multiple array of surfaces and all over the world in the hands of the team before the choice was made to go CF. The only material we did not test was in fact a moulded tub since we found with the Squared this restricted us slightly and with constantly evolving cars and set ups a "solid shape" was increasingly hard to work with.

The main difference wit the flex tuning on the Cubed is that removal of any screws will NOT put into jeopardy the strength of the car, all pivot and fixing points have been designed to overlap and multiple pick ups and fixing points on the top deck and chassis mounts allow for a selection of mounting positions to connect it all together, not just as simple as leaving a screw out or putting one in here or there and certainly no body clips holding anything together or in place (other than the body)

The old plastic chassis are probably heavier than you think, in many cases some of the alloy chassis todays are lighter than the plastic moulded ones, I think it was more to create a one piece item rather then to have multiple parts at the time, but on the Cubed this approach is now being used to tune the car as described above. Plus many of the reason why manufactures turned away from alloy in the first place was because it bent and stayed bent, and to be fair this is still an issue on some of todays cars using that material too.

Like I said in my first reply, X-Factory are not the sort of company to simply follow the crowd or make something simply because everyone else does it that way.....

Think you will like it when it arrives, we certainly do....
Just a refference on the Alloy - My Vega Gen 2 B4.1 weighs less than a centro B4.1, the alloy chassis really looks misleading and doesnt weigh as much as you think.
Old 17-05-2013

Quote:
Thanks, it would be good if the lowest position (no washers) was, say, 2-3mm lower than the X6 sq.
We've got you covered
Old 17-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
Just a refference on the Alloy - My Vega Gen 2 B4.1 weighs less than a centro B4.1, the alloy chassis really looks misleading and doesnt weigh as much as you think.
I agree with you in my reply, I think it was Mike who said that other brands went to moulded plastic tub chassis to "save" weight" and I commented that the plastic is heavier than you think and in most cases was heavier than the alloy it replaced.

Alloy is light for sure, but just not what we wanted/or settled on for the Cubed.
Old 17-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Thanks, it would be good if the lowest position (no washers) was, say, 2-3mm lower than the X6 sq. I run without e-speed hangers on the outside hole with 1mm removed, but would run lower if I could to tie the rear end down more and avoid using a rear bar. This is approx. the geometry most people run on the Centro. Just my 2p worth with the best intentions!
Indeed as Elvo has already said, they have that aspect of the car covered and it will suit all requirements.
Old 17-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Just posted a couple more photos of the car on our UK facebook page for those who are interested....

>>>> X-Factory UK Facebook Page <<<<