Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 09-04-2008
Mad Member

Default Spektrum receiver antenna replacement

Has anyone try to replace the antenna cord?

I tried, and found it kinda hard to solder on a new one...

The original gets brittle after just one season, and simply breaks off from the vibrations...

I like the Futaba FASST receivers much better!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 09-04-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

My friend had a new one soldere don hsi reciever by a friend from our clubs you need a very small tipped soldering iron and a magnafying glass.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 09-04-2008

I have not tried to replace a Spektrum receiver antenna. However, I have had to replace a receiver antenna for a Futaba FASST receiver. This was because someone had decided to trim the end by only some 10 mm and the effective range of the receiver came down to only about 20 feet. They did this as they thought that it would be the same as slightly trimming the antenna on a more common 27 MHz or 40 MHz system, not realising that the effective antenna of a 2.4GHz system is only the last 31mm and what actually comes out of the receiver is the antenna feeder. This antenna feeder is actually a micro sized coaxial feeder and not a multi-strand wire antenna as the lower frequency systems have. It is only the last 31 mm of this lead that is actually the antenna.
To replace the receiver on the FASST system, one needs to purchase a replacement antenna and unplug the old one from the receiver circuit board and plug the new one in. This is very much like the coaxial feeder cable that you connect your television to the antenna, except of course it is very much smaller.

Having looked at the official Spektrum site, their system appears to be fairly similar.
By going to “Spektrum SR3100 Antenna Bulletin”, it takes you to the following link:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1780

The following information is stated on this link:

………“Spektrum’s SR3100 receiver (included with the DX3R) features a coaxial antenna. Do not cut the antenna. The exposed area at the tip of the coax is the functional part of the antenna and must remain at 31mm in length. Altering the 31mm length will detune the receiver reducing range.”

It also states, “…..New coaxial antennas are available SPM9005 and snap onto the receiver board…..”

Hope that this may be of use to you and also let others know that the 2.4GHz receiver antenna system must not be treated like either the more common 27 MHz or 40 MHz systems.
Ian
Old 09-04-2008
Mad Member

Thx, but that's not the ones I have. I have the SR3000 HRS, and it uses a std. stranded copper wire. And no plug inside

Also the wire comes out from the top of the case, not the side.

I just couldn't figure out the circuitry board on this one! It just looks odd! I've replaced many antennas before on FM system, no problem there. Use a small solder iron, very small tips etc.

I'll see if I can post some pics to explain...

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 11-04-2008
Mad Member

original1.jpg

original2.jpg

original3.jpg

original4.jpg

resoldered1.jpg

Does anyone understand the problem now? Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Visit my showroom
Old 29-03-2011

I think I need to replace the wire on my Spektrum's too, but have been told that you need to get specific wire for this (I know that they list specific wire for 27 and 40 meg radios but that might just be for you to buy branded rather than generic).

Anyone know if this is true, and if not, what size and spec wire do I need when I pop down to Maplins later.
Old 29-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to RCRacing88 Send a message via Skype™ to RCRacing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
Has anyone try to replace the antenna cord?

I tried, and found it kinda hard to solder on a new one...

The original gets brittle after just one season, and simply breaks off from the vibrations...

I like the Futaba FASST receivers much better!
Hey,

I have replaced a couple of my spektrum sr3000 antenna's before, you are right, they do just snap off! It's a big design floor in my eyes!

To replace the wire, i simply used some fine wire of the same thickness as the original antenna, cut it too the exact length as before, threaded it through the receiver inner parts and casing as it was before (leaving the exact same amount of wire inside the box as before).

Both times I have done this it has work fine with no issues!

No lack of range what so ever, and you would never be able to tell a difference between this and the original spektrum antenna.

I know spektrum will advise you not to do this, but if it works, and your confident with a soldering iron then why not!

hope this helps

Take Care
VP Pro & Caster Wheels/tyres
Savox SC1258 Titanium Geared

HotBodies Truggy & Ho Bao Hyper 7
GX-5R .21 - Byron 20%
Ofna - Proline - VP Pro - Caster Wheels/tyres
Savox SC125/78 Titanium Geared

Thanks to: Caster Racing USA - Team Tekin - Byron Fuels - VP Pro - Savox

Website / Youtube
Nene Valley Raceway