Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 04-12-2011

Default Got my First Buggy - DEX410R

Hi guys i just scooped up a DEX410R for £130 with the carbon front and rear shock mounts and carbon flex brace =P

Ive never built a buggy before and not totally sure on how big the power houses need to be, ive only built an Xray T2 touring car.

So what kind of Motor's do people run in these? Do i get the lower KV ones to get more torque, i assume torque is better for off roaders.

Also about the servo, are there any specific specs i need to look at so that i dont get sluggish turning on grass etc? Does it need to be low profile?

Im looking at getting the Turnigy Nano Tech saddle Lipos from hobbyking, people used them before, will they fit? Whats delivery time like to the UK?

What do you guys recommend?

Im looking at spending £150 on electrics, Motor, ESC, Servo, Lipo, Receiver.

Was going to pick up one of those cheap receivers off Ebay for my DX2.
Old 04-12-2011

I thought the £175 I paid for my DEX410R was a bargain, but £130 is an absolute steal.

I tried the Nano Tech lipos in mine, unfortunately they don't fit. Although they are meant to be 25mm in height I just couldn't squeeze them in and ended up getting a set of Intellect 4200 which were about £65 from memory.

In terms of motor and esc I was on a tight budget, so opted for a sensored Hobbyking 100a esc and 6.5t motor which came in at about £60. I do plan on upgrading at some point, but these have been great for the 4 months or so I've had the car. If you don't mind waiting a fortnight, with the budget you mention you can't go wrong.

Servo wise, I have a Savox 1258 which I managed to pick up for £35 in the for sale section (they come up from time to time).

Good luck with the car, its a great piece of kit in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Motor LRP Tekin Novak SP etc etc 5.5 6.5 7.5 8.5 works well 5.5 you can tune it down a little on the radio
Servo metal gears are a must ace or savöx futaba 8-12kg 0.8-1.7 sec
Esc SP Tekin Viper Vampire
Reciever get the mini spektrum if you can to save on space
Lipos I havent tried those one you wrote about

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 04-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjeet View Post
Hi guys i just scooped up a DEX410R for £130 with the carbon front and rear shock mounts and carbon flex brace =P

Ive never built a buggy before and not totally sure on how big the power houses need to be, ive only built an Xray T2 touring car.

So what kind of Motor's do people run in these? Do i get the lower KV ones to get more torque, i assume torque is better for off roaders.

Also about the servo, are there any specific specs i need to look at so that i dont get sluggish turning on grass etc? Does it need to be low profile?

Im looking at getting the Turnigy Nano Tech saddle Lipos from hobbyking, people used them before, will they fit? Whats delivery time like to the UK?

What do you guys recommend?

Im looking at spending £150 on electrics, Motor, ESC, Servo, Lipo, Receiver.

Was going to pick up one of those cheap receivers off Ebay for my DX2.
Hi, that is an excellent deal, is it a brand new car?

Going by other racers, with the 'rango, most people are running between 7.5 - 5.5 turn motors, the kv types are more aimed at the rtr, but the higher the number the faster the motor.

No need to run a low profile servo, Savox servo's are good quality for the price and have a servo to suite every aplication.

Cannot really go wrong by buying second hand off the for sale section, electrics are generallly very good, keep to the main makes and keep your eyes peeled.

The saddles you mentioned should fit, the 410 has different height holes for a\ll the different lipo sizes.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2011

Its not a new car but it looks mint from the photos:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507111704...#ht_524wt_1185

Ok i think the Tekin stuff is a bit far fetched lol those ESCs are expensive!!

Currently i got a Fusion Exceed 6.5T in my Xray T2 and its so fast!! I cant use full throttle, so i was looking at 8.5T.

I keep looking at buying separates such as Speed Passion, HPI Flux or EZrun, but still not sure, i think im going to scout the For Sale section for a bargain hopefully.

I found out the cheap orange DSM2 recievers are only for Planes, so i have to shell out £30 for the official one

I bought a PowerHD servo for my Xray for £38 iirc and its decent, the Savox is a lot more expensive, whats the difference? I got this one in my TC:
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd...products/35548

Digital
Ball Bearing
Metal Gears
Torque - 12.8kg/cm
Speed - 0.11s/60
Weight - 56g
Old 04-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That 6.5 will work well even a 8.5 if you are happy with the one you have you could then get another one and turn the gas down on the radio.

That servo will be fine check hobbyking I think they are cheap there.

Hobby wings are pretty good and not too much, but do check the 4sale section.

Old 04-12-2011

What is the difference between these two motors?

Speed Passion V3.0 Competition BL 8.5T £69

And

Speed Passion Ultra Sportsman Version 3.0 Sensored Motor - 8.5R £40
Old 04-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The second one Im pretty sure you can't take it apart and replace parts if needed or do maintenance. Not sure if its not just a cheap china motor with SP sticker

Old 04-12-2011

Ok i think ive decided on the motor, going to get the Speed Passion V3 Competition around a 7.5T so ill keep an eye in the Sale section.

No idea what ESC to pair it with, looking for something in £50 range.

Servo will be the PowerHD or Savox 1258 as recommended.
Receiver is SR300, hopefully some one wants to get rid of one as £30 is a rip off!

Cant find many affordable Saddle Lipos or many Saddle types at all around.

Whats the stock spur on the DEX410R and what Pitch? I got a 25t 48dp Pinion spare i hope i can use it.
Old 04-12-2011
Mad Member

The standard spur is 87T and to use a 25T pinion you would need a lower kv motor in the range of 8.5 - 10.5 otherwise it will be way overgeared I use a 18/19 on a 5.5 indoors and go up to a max of a 21 when outdoors. When using a 6.5 I usually run between 20 and 23 pinion. There is a FDR gear ratio chart in the 410 manual which can be downloaded from the Durango website.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 04-12-2011

Ok i geared for TC's only so this seems odd to me:

DEX410 Internal Ratio is 2.47

Ratio = 2.47 * (Spur/Pinion)

2.47 * (87/25) = 8.59 -Thats big
2.47 * (87/20) = 10.74
2.47 * (87/18) = 11.93 -What!?

I run FDR of 5.7 on my TC, so im guessing for buggy we want pure acceleration?

Im going to be doing some racing but mostly bashing at the park, an FDR that long will make the buggy pretty slow, no?
Old 04-12-2011
Mad Member

Take a look at the recommended gearing column from the Speedpassion V3 manual.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 04-12-2011
Mad Member

7.5 motor i'd put a 23/24 pinion on and should be able to get an LRP/Nosram speedo for around just over 50 quid ish

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 04-12-2011

Hi

Not sure if you're interested but ive got a an LRP 6.5 that has just come out of my Durango for sale. Im looking for £35 posted
Old 05-12-2011
Mad Member

I'd recomend getting the spektrum micro reciever for the rango. Space for electrics is at a premium in the rango and when i got mine i couldnt see a way to fit everything in when i was using the sto k reciever that came with the DX2
I wouldnt run a tekkin esc either as i've read and heard of issues with them in the 410 where after landing a jump or taking a knock the esc cuts out
Old 05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
7.5 motor i'd put a 23/24 pinion on
Bang on I use a 23 pinion with my 7.5 SP
Old 05-12-2011

Ive been searching, but now thinking that im going to spend £100 on ESC and Motor combined, am i not better off buying a new Fusion Exceed 10.5T Combo (4001 - 5000kv)?

Its got the same KV rating as a 8.5T Speed Passion (4400kv), plus itll be new and have a warranty in case of any troubles. My neighbour runs one at a gear ratio of about 6.5 iirc so these are top notch and run so cool, my 6.5T combo is only warm after a 30min bash.

Im just wondering if the ESC will fit alongside the SR300 Receiver.

These are the Exceed ESC dimensions: 40mm x 41mm x 28.7mm, quite big, bigger than my 6.5T combo.
Old 05-12-2011

Hi Jasjeet

I think you might have trouble getting the fusion esc in as I run one of them in my durango DESC410r short course truck and I had to mount it above the chassis rail due to its size. So in my Durango dex410r I had to use the speed passion gt v2 as room is very tight. I also use the etronix 2.4 controller and the blue reciver and it all fits in.
I would also like to say that the ebay seller you got your 410r from is ok as I have had a load of bits for my 410r.

Andy
Old 05-12-2011

Thanks for the info mate, i have contacted some members selling a Speed Passion and Speed Passion LPF ESC for £100 total, so if the Exceed wont fit ill stick to that.
Old 05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjeet View Post
Ok i geared for TC's only so this seems odd to me:

DEX410 Internal Ratio is 2.47

Ratio = 2.47 * (Spur/Pinion)

2.47 * (87/25) = 8.59 -Thats big
2.47 * (87/20) = 10.74
2.47 * (87/18) = 11.93 -What!?

I run FDR of 5.7 on my TC, so im guessing for buggy we want pure acceleration?

Im going to be doing some racing but mostly bashing at the park, an FDR that long will make the buggy pretty slow, no?
Hi, just a quick point. The reasons why those ratio's look so high compared to touring cars is that you're forgetting to factor in the much larger buggy tyres, which of course affect the rollout of the car.

Many buggy tyres are approx 87mm diameter as apposed to touring car tyres at approx 63mm.

The formula for rollout is this:

tyre diamter x 3.14159 / gear ratio = rollout (millimeters travelled per revolution of motor)

Hope this helps