Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Silverstone

Old 28-11-2015

Default Returning to Hobby

Hi

After more than 2 decades looking to take up the hobby again as I have spare time. A visit to Silverstone on Tuesday only reaffirmed my desire to pick it all up again, and as such just looking for pointers or counter-advice to anything below.

I’ve noticed other similar threads but I thought I might as well add my own which I can keep adding to with additional queries as I go through the purchase / build process.

While I do not have a specific budget to adhere to I have certain soft boundaries that reflect my inexperience such as purchasing optional vehicle parts that only highly experienced / professional drivers can leverage.

Schumacher KF2 or Yokomo YZ-2

I think I have narrowed it down to either of these cars. Conscientious that both are competition-level vehicles which seems a big step for a beginner, but I figure it is more cost-effective to spend the money upfront on a decent car. Preference is to buy a new kit since I reckon building it from scratch will teach me more about how everything fits together for maintenance, repairs & future upgrades – even if it does take me 3-4 times longer than a more experienced builder.

I noticed the KF2 seems popular at the club and with the alternative motor positions seems flexible for alternative track types. The YZ-2 seems to get positive reviews both in handling and durability and reading around it seems capable to handle some different track surfaces. I know I spotted at least one YZ-2 on Tuesday’s track and from my inexperienced-eye it looked on par with the KF2.

Motor / ESC / Servo

Initially thinking 13.5t motor but after speaking to a club member it was recommended that I run a 10.5t as it would offer greater performance as my experience improves. Initially thinking Speed Passion (combo) but now considering increasing that budget to something like LRP/Reedy/Orion coupled with a separate more expensive ESC since the latter should last a long time.

For servo I was looking at something like a Savox since most buyer reviews are generally positive.

Transmitter/ Receiver

Not sure whether to go for stick or wheel, while I originally raced with sticks that was over 20 years ago. For wheel-transmitters there seems to be a good diversity across the price-range while stick-transmitters seem to jump from the cost-conscious Core RC Code (3-ch) to far pricier models. Another consideration is that I am left-handed and thus uncertain how well I would take to a wheel-controller.

Batteries

As batteries can involve quite a substantial upfront cost, I was considering something along the lines of Core RC – either saddles or ‘shorty’ depending on car/set-up choice. At £29 to £33 it would allow me to budget for a few sets to get me up & running; minimising downtime and maximising practice time.

Other

Other gear I am aware I need:
  • RC4 transponder
  • Lip charging sack
  • Shock protectors (need more information on where to get them or how to make them)
Old 29-11-2015

Seems like you have a pretty good handle on most things to me. I would be tempted to go for a lower turn motor if you've raced before, even though a long time ago.

If you decide to try a wheel radio there are some that can be configured for left or right hand which may be worth looking at - sanwa, spektrum and others possibly.

You have a few options for shock protectors
- buy a universal one from the club for a few pounds, drill some holes and fit
- make from the bottom of a drinks bottle - http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...er-covers.html
- make from a spare lexan rear wing. I find these last best
Old 29-11-2015

Default Other bits

Factor in a lipo charger
A hybrid transponder maybe better as if going to other clubs may not run rc4
Decent tools can all mount to added cost camber gauge ride height
Hauler or some way of carrying all your stuff
Old 29-11-2015
Mad Member

OK, here's my two pennies....

Car wise, both YZ & KF2 are exceptional cars.. both supported by excellent back up and set up support.

I've had both but was glad to get back to a KF2.. its just awesome and so easy to drive.. a few at the club have recently moved back after "falling out" with the YZ's..

Motor/speedo - 10.5 or 8.5 would be fine, I would suggest 8.5 and dial it down on the speedo as it will be fast enough when you are more comfortable.. Hobbywing and Sky RC Toro are also worth a look. Don't be fooled by the bigger brands, most are just rebadged HW..

Servo - Savox are good servos, also look at highest or Xpert..

Lipos - The core shorties are hard to beat for the money. Charging sacks are pretty cheap but a necessary evil these days.

Cant really comment on the core radio, never used one.

PT - try MRT, they are RC4 compatible and from my experience a better unit and a very good price.

I (and lots of others) will be at the club most Tuesdays and more than happy to give advice and lend stuff to try...

More than welcome to try my KF2... had some servo issues last week but all sorted now..
Old 29-11-2015
Mad Member

Oh, and wheel transmitters are the devil... stay with sticks..
Old 29-11-2015
Mad Member

I have a stick radio for sale
Old 30-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam F View Post
OK, here's my two pennies....

I've had both but was glad to get back to a KF2.. its just awesome and so easy to drive.. a few at the club have recently moved back after "falling out" with the YZ's..

[ ... ]

I (and lots of others) will be at the club most Tuesdays and more than happy to give advice and lend stuff to try...
Might try and come down tomorrow night, although the start of each month is a particularly busy period at work.

I can always find out more when I next get there, but any more specific details on why members were switching away from the YZ-2 (noticed one has just been put up for sale today ). Was it down to general handling or more specific aspects (e.g. twitchy nature that left little room for driver error)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUpton
I have a stick radio for sale
Transmitter & receiver? If both I might well be interested
Old 30-11-2015
Mad Member

Personally, I liked the yz to begin with, then had loads of issues with leaky diffs, which quite a few other suffered too.

Gradually started having to chase Setups every week and constantly struggling to make it consistent.

Your choice obviously, but the number of KF/KF2's at the club is a good indication of how well they go.
Old 01-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam F View Post
Personally, I liked the yz to begin with, then had loads of issues with leaky diffs, which quite a few other suffered too
Thanks for the further clarification, just keen to gather information to allow me to make a final more aware decision.
Old 01-12-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarSR View Post
Might try and come down tomorrow night, although the start of each month is a particularly busy period at work.

I can always find out more when I next get there, but any more specific details on why members were switching away from the YZ-2 (noticed one has just been put up for sale today ). Was it down to general handling or more specific aspects (e.g. twitchy nature that left little room for driver error)?

Transmitter & receiver? If both I might well be interested

Yep and receiver, will be there tonight if your there. I think we may have spoke last week if you popped along.
Old 02-12-2015

As a newbie to the club the advice and help ive had has been second to none.
cant thank them enough.

I bought a kf1 fitted a speed passions combi 8.5 and its a good speed for the size of the hall (and my beginner capabilities) a savox servo and the core batteries you mention plus the cheaper core rc radio, although that does stutter with the savox but I'm not good enough for it to effect my crashing yet
bought a wheel first but hated it and went back to sticks, better familiar feel.

gets addictive, should have got back into it years ago