Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 29-05-2017

Default How stop slipper pads from slipping/glazing?

Hi all

Well, short story is, I have a BSR BZ444 (What the hell is that you may ask!) which is essentially a Team C T4/TC04, so basically the same backend/slipper as the TM2.

These were known for having pretty crappy slipper pads and it totally did, unless it was set to locked out without any slip they would give up after a few races and even when locked out they would give up after a few months.

Thats why RW Racing released a spur gear for the TM2 that allowed you to use slipper pads from Schumacher/Durango/AE etc. So I got one of these with some fresh Schumacher slipper pads...

4 races later the pads have glazed over and slipping like mad. I've not been racing for forever but in my 3 years I've never had issues with slipper pads & never even needed to replace any on my previous cars, so not sure whats the best way of fixing this issue?

I did notice the metal slipper hub was very smooth & shiny (I didnt touch this when fitting the new pads) so I have roughed this up slightly with some scotch pad.

Should I be attacking the slipper hub with some fine wet/dry paper? If so, what grade?
Old 29-05-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaMight View Post
Hi all

Well, short story is, I have a BSR BZ444 (What the hell is that you may ask!) which is essentially a Team C T4/TC04, so basically the same backend/slipper as the TM2.

These were known for having pretty crappy slipper pads and it totally did, unless it was set to locked out without any slip they would give up after a few races and even when locked out they would give up after a few months.

Thats why RW Racing released a spur gear for the TM2 that allowed you to use slipper pads from Schumacher/Durango/AE etc. So I got one of these with some fresh Schumacher slipper pads...

4 races later the pads have glazed over and slipping like mad. I've not been racing for forever but in my 3 years I've never had issues with slipper pads & never even needed to replace any on my previous cars, so not sure whats the best way of fixing this issue?

I did notice the metal slipper hub was very smooth & shiny (I didnt touch this when fitting the new pads) so I have roughed this up slightly with some scotch pad.

Should I be attacking the slipper hub with some fine wet/dry paper? If so, what grade?

Use Yokomo or associated slipper pads. You want to leave the metal as it is, just ensure its clean and smooth.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 29-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Use Yokomo or associated slipper pads. You want to leave the metal as it is, just ensure its clean and smooth.
I've never had a problem with a Schumacher slipper pad before, I've ran the same one on my KF for the past 2 years.
Old 29-05-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Use associated sc10 extra torque pads, i had the same issue when designing my layshaft for the Lazer ZXR with the B4 slipper so resolved it with these pads, the inner section is filled in so gives more grip to the side plates and makes it work.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 30-05-2017
Mad Member

Tighten it up so it doesn't slip so much?

Or check that nothing is binding in the slipper assembly (so you are actually tightening against the pads, not something else!)

Or try one of the multiplate slippers (triad Evo, Team associated VTS)
Old 30-05-2017

It is tightened up the whole way pretty much, the spring is very close to be fully compressed, maybe 1/4 turn, even the manual isnt that far off that setting as standard anyway, obviously you can get away with that a little because its 4WD.

I'll try the extra torque pads that Welshy40 suggested.

I am starting to think some of it was my fault for not cleaning up the slipper hub before fitting the new pads but better pads cant do any harm. Fingers crossed
Old 30-05-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
leave the metal as it is, just ensure its clean and smooth.
Totally agree with this comment.

The sc10 pads are a good suggestion too.
Old 30-05-2017

I use the standard TM2 slipper in my TM2V2, but use the RW spur with AE pads, and it works very nicely.

Occasionally it gets "sticky" and inconsistent, so i just take it apart, clean it all up, maybe rub the pads on a bit of wet and dry paper to clean them up, and put it back together. Like Neal says, just clean the alloy plates. no need to sand them.

If the pads are heavily crudded up, then i scrape them with a craft knife before a quick rub down.

Then it works fine for another good while...