Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 26-08-2012

Default Turnigy products

What are folks opinions of the Turnigy range of products. They seem to be able to supply pretty reasonable products at pretty reasonable prices.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1606256887...ht_1241wt_1164
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507666116...#ht_553wt_1164
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209691103...#ht_999wt_1398

Is a lipo cell a lipo cell? Or is it definitely worth shelling out double this price for a good one. Same goes for the other items...

Please, no badge snobbery here - is there really a difference?

Thanks,

Jimmy
Old 26-08-2012

Send a message via MSN to D20MCK

Hi Jimmy

I have used some of the Turnigy stuff in a helicopter I had, I thought it performed well. You may have some issues using the equipment you have in your post though.

The motor is not on the BRCA list so you could on use it at a club meeting.
The lipo is again is not on the BRCA list and they are very large batteries so you might struggle to get the to fit in a car don't think they fit any 2wd's and most 4wd's, they are 31mm tall, the BRCA approved packs are normally 24-26mm from what I remember.
As for the speedo it's sensorless you really should look for a sensored esc.
Old 26-08-2012

Default BRCA lists

Saddle pack battery list
http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...20v1%20pdf.pdf

Motor lists
http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...202010Dpdf.pdf

http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...2I%20pdf_0.pdf

I like the look of the HPI Lipo and it's not to expensive, if you are only going to be running one car you can get away with only having one pack of cells two is just nice to have.

http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...ck-40-7wh.html
Old 26-08-2012

Y'see, that's why I asked! Thanks! I'll continue window shopping...

However, can you get good LiPo's and bad ones? Is it worth the extra to plump for £90 Orions over £50 whatevers?

Thanks again,

Jimmy
Old 26-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think the speed passion range is good now with the sales and are the same price

Intellect lipos are great off ebay for about £35-40

Motors well I haven't tried those but have heard ok things about them, HK have a nice looking Trackstar motors for about $30

Has anyone tried one?

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 26-08-2012
Mad Member

If the trackstar speedos are anything to go by, i'd avoid them!!
Old 26-08-2012

I have say you would never notice the difference I've used LRP, Orion, Intellect, Demon and Track Power and I keep going back to the Intellect batteries and at 40ish quid you can't go wrong. I think I will be replacing them with the HPI plazma 95C shortly. You just need to look for a high C rating for more punch, 45-95C batteries give good punch.

What car are you thinking about? Only reason I ask is that some of the brushless speedo's are massive and you don't have much room to fit everything in the car. I'm running a LRP Sphere TC Competition in my Durango it's now 5-6 years old it's still going strong.

Here's cheap setup that's brca legal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Wave-...ht_2726wt_1037

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intellect-...1#ht_500wt_923
Old 26-08-2012

Thanks for all that! I'm a returnee after a 20 year absence, so I'm playing catch-up with the new technology.

I'm thinking of trying one of the lesser well known cars just to see what I can get out of it.
I quite fancy the Caster SK10 pro. Nicely odd. I used to race a Tomy Intruder quite successfully.

The idea is that I re-enter the fray at a reasonable budget using decent equipment. I'm buying everything from scratch!

Jimmy
Old 26-08-2012

Hi jimmy,

what you need to do is come along to a club meeting at falkirk running up to xmas, you will learn lots just in the one visit.loads of great guys to tell you everything you need to know.

i myself started off road last year for a couple of meetings then gave up again. this year i stuck at it, but i didnt shell out for new stuff on both occasions.

most if not all of my stuff is second hand, It has changed from back in the 80,s 90,s with equipment that was used back then almost no good to sell as it probably was almost done or ready for the bin .ie cells, motors etc.

as for the lipos, you would not notice any difference at all in performance with makes etc. it all goes with the "C" rating, even lipos between 35c and 50c and can hardly tell a difference in a cars performance. you dont need these super matched sce,s of today,

same for the chargers, as long is it charges lipo and has a built in balancer or an external one it will charge just the same.
i myself bought a 2nd hand LRP TOUCH at 100. a new one is 200. i bought it because i liked the look of it and i never had the chance of decent stuff when i last raced so i treated myself.
it has a few good options on it but in the end itl do the same job as a 35 quid charger for charging lipos for example.

you will love it, trust me.

2002, 3 , 4
B.R.C.A Scottish indoor TC champion.
2005......... B.R.C.A Open modified Scottish TC champion.
2011....... Scottish Indoor OFF-ROAD champion.
2012 ......... Scottish SORC Off-Road Runner up.

My oOple Trader feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84630
Old 26-08-2012

Hi Martin,

I'll definitely be showing up at a meeting or two here and there. Derek Kerr has kindly offered to let me run one of his cars at a meeting - that would be interesting. However, I am so up for this that I just want to soak up as much information as possible.

Here's one for you.... Sensored motors. What's that all about?

Jimmy

Re-started 2012. With Caster SK10
Driving Xray XB4 & Precirotate PRS1 V2 for 2014.
Hobby Pro PRS1 V2 2WD and PRSB10 4WD for 2015
Team Inside Line Racing with PR Racing buggies for 2016, 2017 & 2018.
Old 26-08-2012

good info on it at Novak, read up! http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/b...ensorless.html
Old 26-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jim View Post
What are folks opinions of the Turnigy range of products. They seem to be able to supply pretty reasonable products at pretty reasonable prices.

Is a lipo cell a lipo cell? Or is it definitely worth shelling out double this price for a good one. Same goes for the other items...
Can't say anything about their motors and ESCs, but I would say the Turnigy lipos are by far the most popular batteries at my club. Reliable with more than enough power for a fraction of the price of BRCA legal packs. Those racers that run at bigger meetings have backup race legal packs

Turnigy electrics aren't on the BRCA lists because there isn't an official importer to supply them to the BRCA for testing, and no distributor means they aren't commercially available in the UK which is one of the major criteria for making them BRCA legal.
Old 27-08-2012

Turnigy 6000mah 65-130C Nano-Tech stick pack, £250 for 6 from Hobbyking (including paying customs charge).

LRP 5900mah 65-130C (basically the same thing) £95 for ONE from the UK.

I've had my Turnigy LiPos for about 12 months now, I can't detect any difference in the performance, they still balance up well when charging, I can't fault them.

If you're looking for saddle packs I think the equivalent to my batteries are here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ddle_Pack.html

I'm sure the LRPs would perform just as well, after all they are the same battery with a blue case!!
Old 27-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
I'm thinking of trying one of the lesser well known cars just to see what I can get out of it.
I quite fancy the Caster SK10 pro. Nicely odd. I used to race a Tomy Intruder quite successfully.

Jimmy
IMHO, Rather than getting an unusual car, you would be better served by getting a model popular at your local club; fellow racers will be able to help with setups, repairs and spares.
Old 27-08-2012
Mad Member

I agree Jimmy, buy a buggy that's fairly popular. That way someone will always have spares. TBH, I think the Caster buggy would be a waste of time. A 2nd hand B44 would be your best bet although if it was a cheaper car you were looking at then I would look at Ansmann rather than Caster.

As for Lipos etc, Definetly buy something on the BRCA list.

I have never been a fan of the cheap stuff from China. I always buy my electrics from UK shops.

Dave
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 27-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
IMHO, Rather than getting an unusual car, you would be better served by getting a model popular at your local club; fellow racers will be able to help with setups, repairs and spares.
Well, that would be the logical thing to do! So all the more reason to go for the Caster! I like a challenge!

The Caster seems to be a pretty good car with backup from good models shops. One reasonably local. You can also get great feedback from the manufacturers who will respond in person immediately to any queries.

We'll see, I may have to eat my words!

Jimmy

Old 27-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
I agree Jimmy, buy a buggy that's fairly popular. That way someone will always have spares. TBH, I think the Caster buggy would be a waste of time. A 2nd hand B44 would be your best bet although if it was a cheaper car you were looking at then I would look at Ansmann rather than Caster.

As for Lipos etc, Definetly buy something on the BRCA list.

I have never been a fan of the cheap stuff from China. I always buy my electrics from UK shops.

Dave
I'll definitely be buying my electrics from the BRCA list. There'll be no risks taken there.

I did quite fancy the Ansmann, but the Caster looks fantastic. Never been one to follow the trend! I'll be having a go with one or two cars before I take the plunge, so I may yet change my mind. If I was to go mainstream it would likely be the Kyosho. Soft spot for Kyoshos, but they're expensive!

Thanks!

Jimmy

Old 27-08-2012
Mad Member

I'm the same, I always liked running Yokomo. And still do but the parts etc are a pain to get in this country and I always have to end up buying from Japan.

Kyosho are easier to get tho. As for the Caster, i would avoid it. Only one person up here runs one and in my opinion, it doesn't look up to much.
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 27-08-2012

Quote:
Here's one for you.... Sensored motors. What's that all about?

Jimmy
It just means that the esc knows what position the rotor is in so when you wind on the throttle it can tell how much power to apply & at what point in the motor revolution to do it. An unsensored motor just is straight control and when accelerating the motor can 'cog' because the power can be delivered at the wrong point in the cycle. With the sensored set up its a closed loop control system so its always waiting for motor feedback this makes for a slightly slower but smoother operation compared to the sensorless which is slightly quicker but jerkier (is that a word?) In operation
Old 27-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've got some Turnigy lipos (5200mah 60C saddles) and some BRCA legal Losi lipos (5500 65C saddles).
The main difference is that the Turnigys cost less than half what the Losi's did. In performance terms they are just as good.
I run the Turnigys for club meets, saving the Losi's for events that require BRCA lipos. That is only because the Turnigys cost a fraction to replace.

That said, I've seen a few people having issues with their Trackstar esc's. If you get a good one they are fine, but a lot seem to be faulty and good luck getting it replaced from overseas!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)