Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 13-08-2014

To be honest the one thing that has put me of buying a off-road buggy in the past was the lack of jumps, i always thought if I'm going to be racing of flat ground i may aswell race touring cars twice the speed. I have brought one now but i am still worried i wont enjoy especially when i see the tracks in america it make my want to move there just to go racing!
Old 13-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
Up to a point I actually agree with you, anyone who knows me will tell you that while i'm not the fastest driver, i'm not slow either and I don't really have a reputation for crashing significantly more than anyone else. I'm not gung-ho, I try to drive as carefully as I realistically can but at the end of the day I want the hobby to be fun

I do take your point though, it's true that when you have less power or you know you don't have any spares with you it can sometimes improve your driving.

Respect your opinion mate, like I said on page 1 this is an interesting topic
👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
then educate your drivers, don't impose limits on those who know what their capabilities are and choose a motor to suit.
a spec class only means driver push their equipment to the limit, and when a new speedo/motor is released everyone buys it to see if its quicker. my motor in my buggy is over 3 years old and still fast enough for me.
too much power does not lead to a crash, the driver going too fast leads to the crash
Mark,
I understand what your saying, but the point I was trying to make was that the parent thought their 6 year old that was new to the hobby could drive a full blown 13.5 Touring Car, the parent needed the education, all we tried to do was introduce a Spec'd class so the kids to drive a more controllable car and learn to drive rather than point, squirt, crash and repeat.

Everyone has the right to fit what they want and I respect that.
All I was trying to say was just because you have the fastest car on the straight doesn't mean on a lap you get the fastest lap time.
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 13-08-2014
Mad Member

Personally I think astro has a bigger effect on whether the track is enjoyable to drive on or not.
In the dry there is mega grip, with minimal room for error such is the level of grip, making us tippy toe around, only for the next little rut to catch you out completely. Equally when it all goes wrong the crashes seem bigger and more things end up broken. While in the wet the complete opposite is true, facing the wrong direction at the slightest hint of accelerating a milli second too early or late.

Which ultimately has lead to the myriad of cars, conversions and electrical layouts available to the racer today. Which talking to the new comers at my local club and region is more off putting than any large jump.

On the subject of jumps, if they are done well with a sensible landing then they can make a great feature in a track, but I have no enjoyment in launching my car 6 feet in the air only for the chassis to slap the ground and half the electrics come unstuck in every race.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 13-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
On the subject of jumps, if they are done well with a sensible landing then they can make a great feature in a track, but I have no enjoyment in launching my car 6 feet in the air only for the chassis to slap the ground
Spot on ✌️
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 13-08-2014
Mad Member

Stick your electrics in properly then!
Old 13-08-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

I live close to rhr and have done the Oople series,really enjoyed astro racing, have had my cars where there very drivable in wet and dry. And wen it is wet, which we get in the uk the cars have a bit of wet sand on them, on dirt the car was blattered, but more importantly the effort the guys at rhr put in to make it racable was huge, no such effort needed for astro, to me astro for the uk is the right option until we can find someone to cover the tracks then turn em into dirt.
Unless I'm mistaken then jumps bumps should be part of tracks, it is off road, if you don't want to jump cars then try tc! I remember many years ago when everything was grass, bumps and ruts would appear each round you just adapted.
Old 13-08-2014

Interesting....you say "it is off-road" but want to run on an artificial surface and complain about bumps and ruts...! There is nothing better than a good grass track IMO , part of the fun was learning, and avoiding, those ruts etc....the astro track was devised as an easy, low maintenance, consistent alternative, and although consistent, is still inferior to race on, to grass.. on a good sunny day.
Old 14-08-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aire valley View Post
Interesting....you say "it is off-road" but want to run on an artificial surface and complain about bumps and ruts...! There is nothing better than a good grass track IMO , part of the fun was learning, and avoiding, those ruts etc....the astro track was devised as an easy, low maintenance, consistent alternative, and although consistent, is still inferior to race on, to grass.. on a good sunny day.
so your saying astro is on road? how many of our tracks are NOT man made as in sculptured?? re read my post no where do I complain about bumps or ruts.
Old 14-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aire valley View Post
is still inferior to race on, to grass.. on a good sunny day.
While the weather hasn't been that bad this year in the UK a good sunny day is usually rare especially on race days, I cut my teeth on grass tracks and love racing them, however racing on the on a wet day is far from enjoyable.
Old 14-08-2014

After such a humble opening post this thread has developed into a very interesting one... It is obvious that many personal preferences are being expressed sensibly, and I, for one, think that is great... One mans meat is another mans poison as they say!

RHR dirt is, IMO, the pinnacle of current outdoor O.R. tracks in its design.. The jumps are about right as are the number and severity of the corners and the minor mix of surface is commendable.. However, the design does still lead to high speeds and I think that is my only concern with "modern" tracks.. The prevelance of tracks laid out to accommodate the latest motors n speedo combos is the boring bit for me...

After returning to O.R. it is the increase in speed that is still off-putting to me.. A newbie may feel that too, and instead of persevering they just walk away after spending hundreds of pounds on the latest chassis only to stuff into the barriers or go cartwheeling off.. They buy the latest gear cos the advice that is regularly given to newbies is "go to your local club and see what is popular.." Invariably what is seen is drivers who are good and have the latest chassis themselves and who drive waaaay quicker than any newbie could possibly do!

I would like people to consider driving craft rather than speed and welcome the clubs who offer a one motor series like YORCC with their 540 racing.. This would allow you guys who wanna drive fast to have a series for yourselves, as a consequence tho, the track would have to accommodate the slower motor as well, so once again we get back to the track design..

So yeh, not an easy subject to agree on! Maybe we need to go with what we've got and hope drivers make the right choices.. For them!
Old 25-08-2014

Interesting thread, most 1/10th tracks are boring in my view not enough features too many lumps of concrete and poorly laid track markings that move during the day.
I've driven a few tracks during the year RHR , ARC , BROXTOWE, CMCC, A1, kidderminster, Hinckley , Telford, Mendip just to name a few.
Level changes and repeatable jumps should be part of all off road tracks.
I agree that the landing area should be doable but you will always get someone who loads the cars up on take off and over jumps the landing then blames the track for breaking there car, I've broken my buggy more on small tight twisty featureless 1/10th tracks by poor driving from others using you as a brake, than on a track with jumps.
The cars have got faster but the tracks haven't adapted to the speed and handling of the modern car or the drivers have just got a heavy thumb.
Old 27-08-2014
Awesome Admin

Now this is a track any off road racer would love to drive I know I would

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...420#post873420