Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Old 17-01-2011

Default Advice on the Mardave Mini

Paul, Craig and Co...

Luke is moving to the Mardave Mini class and we've built the V12 Kit this weekend. Just wanted to ask - what are the preferred settings for the front toe-in, if any and how much thread do you have sticking out of the nyloc nut on the rear springs.

We built it to the 'very poor' instruction manual to 4mm showing but was interested to know if any of you have since adjusted this to suit our track at Bromham.

The front servo-saver/ball joints are very tight, I think I might have to play with that slightly to get it moving smoother.

Have any of you played with adjusting the front camber by inserting washers under the front or rear screw that attaches the wheel assembly to the chassis?

Thanks in advance
Old 18-01-2011

Thumbs up Advice on the Mardave Mini and Welcome Luke

Hi Scott, My car is running parallel at the front, or at least as parallel as the play in the front end will allow! You should aim for about 1mm gap between the rear of the motor pod and the chassis with the car on the ground in race trim i.e. including battery pack. There is approximately 3mm of thread above the nyloc on my car,but this will depend on the springs you are using and the length of the bolts holding them. You can cut the top off the steering ball joints to make them turn more freely or squeeze them with pliers (Tim can demonstrate this technique as he is a master at this!) Front camber will benefit from a washer under the front of the wishbone although how thick or how many seems to be down to personal preference. Mark Stiles suggests 2-3mm on the Mardave website and he should know. I'm currently using about 0.7mm but that's just me and I don't seem to be able to do much better than third at the moment. Put the front wishbones on to lower the front of the car as much as you can, whilst remaining legal of course. Other than that they're pretty forgiving little cars and I'm sure we'll all be gentle with Luke.
Btw I should have some sets of trued and glued wheels and tyres for Friday (as long as the courier arrives from Kamtec).
I think Paul has already posted some links for Mardave advice in another thread on this forum.
See you Friday
Old 07-02-2011

Well, Luke's Mardave Porsche is all ready to go. Finally wired up the motor this evening and set-up speedo. I've added some washers to the front to adjust the caster and used your advice to take the top of the ball-joint caps and I've also added some lube to help keep the steering smooth - also bent the arms ever so slightly as Craig suggested. It all seems to be working fine

Luke's looking forward to finally turning a wheel of the Mardave this week...

Sorry I couldn't be there this week guys, it was Luke's birthday.