Old 27-08-2013

Default X60 getting hot

After some advise, I have a x60'with the following

Orion r10 speedo in blinks mode
Thunder power 7.5
81 tooth spur
21 tooth pinion

And my motor is getting HOT 180f.. Esc is fine temp wise

Should I change spur down and pinion up??

What are others running with temps ok!,

Don't really want to fit a fan to solve heat issues if they can be avoided.

Cheers
Paul
Old 27-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Gearing down = smaller pinion, and/or bigger spur.

What is your motor can timing at? Try reducing it. TP motors can have a lot of can timing.

Why are you in blinky mode on speedo? This is ok, by the way, it means you aren;t adding further timing and boost in software.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 28-08-2013

Check you're slipper isn't loose and have you any binding in the hubs or diff?
Old 28-08-2013
oOple Advertiser

Sounds to me like it geared quite high, not sure about the Thunder Power motor, since we use the Vampire ones, but when I run a 7.5 in the X60 we would gear between 17 - 19 tooth depending on the track as a starting point....
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 28-08-2013

I am running blinky for that reason Neil,

The slipper sounds and feels loose when driving but is good initially I have put the slipper problems to heat for the time being as new pads were,installed last night, but I will check the diff and hubs and end bell for timing as I have over looked that.

What size spur with that Darren? Would you prefer it with my vampire 7.5 in too!.?

I have noticed the motor plate is slightly bent could this be another factor?

Thanks for all your help guys, few things to check and do.
Old 28-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
I am running blinky for that reason Neil,

The slipper sounds and feels loose when driving but is good initially I have put the slipper problems to heat for the time being as new pads were,installed last night, but I will check the diff and hubs and end bell for timing as I have over looked that.

What size spur with that Darren? Would you prefer it with my vampire 7.5 in too!.?

I have noticed the motor plate is slightly bent could this be another factor?

Thanks for all your help guys, few things to check and do.
Remove the pinion and check the drivetrain is free and spins well, with the wheels on. Any binding in gears, ceased bearings in gearbox or at axles or gear mis-alignment could cause unnecessary load on the motor. Is the motor plate bent such that the pinion to spur mesh is rather tight, or making the teeth out of alignment, so something is going to wear (spur)?

Use Darren's suggested gearing, 17-19 tooth pinion with the 81 tooth spur (as I read his response).

Set the motor can timing to 0 deg, noting what it's set to now. Can timing in blinky mode can be critical. TP motors can have upto 50deg of can timing, which is a lot!
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 28-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Definitely overgeared, the tallest I'd ever go in truck with a 7.5 is about 18/81.

Bigger tyres remember so every tooth on the pinion makes a much bigger difference than it would in a buggy
Old 31-08-2013

I run a 19t pinion on my losi max ie for silverstone but outdoors i run a 17t with a lrp 8.5t with lots of boost and a fan on the motor it will always get hot to a extent as its a truck plus older trucks are more focused on stock motors
Old 01-09-2013

Hi Paul,

The LRP in my buggy gets to 120 degrees Celsius (Yes Celsius!) so I use this great whopping fan : http://www.smddirect.co.uk/82520-rad...tsink-fan-3718

It halved the temperature to 60, it is rather large but it does its job well, if you want to have a look at it come over on Tuesday.

Steven

Ahh, just realised you didn't want to fit a fan, hope this might help anyway if you want to drastically drop the temperature.