Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Old 19-02-2011

Default Mardave driving...

I was watching the Mardave finals yesterday with interest. Having seen Paul continue to win final after final I wanted to see what it was he did that the other drivers weren't doing to secure a win in the A Final.

Well, the interesting thing is that Paul (I'm sure he'll agree with me) doesn't actually have the fastest car on track, yet he won last nights final with a 3 lap gap over second place!

So why does he keep winning?

Well, actually he keeps winning because he drives very, no, VERY CLEAN! It's as simple as that. I watched cars coming up against back markers and simply using the car in front as a means to brake, knocking each other off the track!

How does that help you and the guy you've just knocked off?

This was happening lap after lap after lap... Then my eye caught Paul's Mardave (remember this is a basic out of the box car, nothing special) coming up to a group of 6 back markers, that's right, 6! Within 2 corners he'd passed them all, not by hitting any of them but simply by driving AROUND THEM ALL.

It's not rocket science guys is it?

I think some of the new Mardave drivers should watch Paul driving, it's such a pleasure to see his car weave through traffic and it is with this calm, clean no nonsense driving style that he keeps winning week after week. Speed is not needed, barging cars off the track is not needed.

So come on guys, if Paul can drive slower than the rest of you and win by 3 laps, doesn't that say something about the driving standards of others?

I know we are all hear to race and have fun, but being knocked off on every other corner is not going to make you happy is it?

Look at me and Chris in the Touring A Final - what a race, I was on his heals for over 4 mins chasing hard, but never over doing it. In the last few laps of the race I managed to squeeze by only for Chris to take the lead back on the next corner, after that a couple of errors by me left me stuck in second, but it was probably one of the best races I've had at the club for a long time - the pressure was intense but both Chris and I gave each other space and our cars are more than twice the size of the Mardaves...

Well done Paul, I might think about videoing the Mardave A Final next week just so others can watch how well you drive
Old 19-02-2011

Default Mardave driving......

In response to Scott's comments on the driving standards in the Mardave class may I say that I wholeheartedly agree. I'll be the first to admit that my driving skills, especially in the new for me area of lapping slower cars , need to improve and I only dream of attaining the god like abilities of Paul (all bow down, we are not worthy!!!). In defence of what are probably the indefensible, I would like to say that many of the Mardave class are very new to RC cars and are learning fast. I am not using that as an excuse in my case, I just need to improve my driving! (another grovelling bow to the master - all hail Paul!!!) The popularity of the class should be seen as very encouraging for the club. Hopefully future TC drivers will come from this class.

The very popularity of the class brings me on to the main point of my post which is the number of cars in each heat. On Friday there were 18 non TCs, four of which should have been in the newly created RWYB class, and we ran one heat of 8 cars and one of 10. The angelic TC drivers had two heats of four only. I realise that there are time constraints but I would like to propose a limit of 6 cars for each Mardave heat and 4 cars for TC - as Scott points out his is much bigger than mine so there is more room on the track for Mardaves! I think that size discussions are probably for another forum altogether so lets leave that there! There would have to be some leeway to allow for numbers of drivers and time available but we should aim to limit the Daves to 6. RWYB should be in their own heat, that is after all why it was created. i.e. on Friday the four RWYB (I think it was four but my memory isn't what it was) would have been in a heat and ideally the Daves would have had three heats (2x 5cars and 1x 4car) although time constraints would mean two 7 car heats were more likely. I think that the chance to improve driving skills would increase with a reduction of numbers in each heat.
What are the views of other Dave drivers?
Steve
Old 19-02-2011

Steve

I understand where you are coming from. The problem I now face is club members turning up with cars that are not Touring Cars or Mardave Cars. The committee had agreed that these cars should be in their own heat and not race with Mardaves.

The club needs the full support of all Mardave drivers on this one. If you want the club to stop putting non Mardave cars with you then make your voice heard and I will enforce this ruling. At present I'm trying to walk a very narrow tight-rope to try and keep everyone happy!

The problem arises when 1 or 2 non Mardave/TC turns up - do we put them in a heat of their own, or mix them into the Mardave cars.

Personally I would prefer to be cruel to be kind and ban all cars that are not Touring Cars or Mardave so that the club focusses on the 2 classes indoors. However, I have to take on board what others feel both in the club and during committee meetings and it was felt we should offer the RWYB class in case someone turned up with a car that was not a TC or Mardave.

It might come to a point with the numbers joining that we simply will not be able to accomdate anything other than Mardave and Touring cars as the numbers keep increasing and if that happens it certainly makes my life easier

Oh the fun (NOT!) sometimes of running a club
Old 19-02-2011

I forgot to mention Steve,

I do speak to some of the new members and try to instill the knowledge that sometimes a slower car is actually a faster car! I know it sounds strange but it's true.

I can also understand that someone new to racing wants to go as fast as they possible can, it's human nature, especially for the younger ones. We all just have to try and help each other improve and teach others about how to drive with other cars around us.

Maybe the idea of videoing Paul will actually be a good idea - sorry if I'm going to put pressure on you Paul

...and in case your wondering, Craig/Steve/Tim have not paid me to pile on the pressure
Old 20-02-2011

Well I think I am definately jinxed for the rest of the season now, thanks Scott and Steve!

Definately agree that staying out of trouble is key to building the laps. I would say most of the mardaves are very similar pace inc mine now that I have fitted a new motor. A few could probably benefit with some tweaks to the handling to make them a bit easier to drive. When the cars are easier to drive it gives gives greater flexibility to racing lines which helps when navigating the traffic.

On Friday I did have quite a few moments of shear luck and it is easy to trip over each other with lots of cars of varying abilities. I fully agree with Steve that 10 cars is a bit too busy on our track. We have discussed before that communication on the rostrum helps a lot to avoid collisions but with 10 drivers this is very difficult.

Probably about 6 cars is ideal like Steve says, maybe upto 8 when there are lots of cars. Also think that the fastest 1 or 2 heats should definately be mardave only, but I have no issue with the slowest heat being mixed with RWYB. If I was starting out I would have no issue with being in a mixed group and it is a practical approach as more than 5 heats in an evening makes things hectic.

It is good to see the popularity of the Mardave class and attracting new members to the club. I think most people are getting their cars set up ok but for those that have recently joined or just got a mardave or are still struggling with set up/ handling I will make some time during the next few rounds to fettle with peoples cars if they want and give some basic advice on setting up/ tuning the mardave. If anyone who wants a bit of help wants to come and find me during the first half of the meeting (say between 8 and 9) and I will see if I can help. I am sure that Steve and Craig and a few others are always willing to give some advice to. I am conscious that quite a few people don't read the forum so, Scott if you could please make an announcement (or I can) at the start of the meetings to let people know.

Paul