Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Healthy Stuff

Old 06-09-2012

Default Recommended Tyres for London to Brighton Off Road Ride

Any thoughts on this? I've been looking at the below but if anyone has done it before and has any advice that would be sweet.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec001839

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec001798

Cheers

Danny
Old 06-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'd go for the armadillo cos it sounds cool
also it looks more off roadie justs incase the terrain gets a little rough.
not used them personally but have heard they are good.

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 06-09-2012

Hi, what bike are they going on? Reason for asking is that one appears to be a 700c tyre (road or cyclocross bike) and the other is 26" (mountain bike).

Not done that ride so any info would be great to try and narrow down your tyre choice, do you know how much on road riding will be involved and what the off road riding will be like, singletrack, fireroad, cycle paths etc?

Lack of grip, punctures or tyres which are too heavy or sluggish for a long distance sportive style ride can make things hard work so the more info the better

Cheers

Adam
Old 06-09-2012

As for some examples if you're running 26" wheels:

If it's 'proper' mountain biking then try the following in 2.1" or 1.8" for a bit more speed:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec001789

I've been running Fires for 10 years, not too sluggish on road and decent across most trails off road. Pump them up to 45 psi to avoid punctures and keep them rolling fast. Not really any downsides to this tyre for all round mountain biking, I've raced on them and they don't wear too quickly unlike some brands!

If it's a mix of on road and nothing mega technical off road you'll be after something with a tread pattern like:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec037103

Although a smaller 2.1" or 1.9" carcass width would be better/faster, a lower profile tread and closer tread pattern should roll quicker than the Fires just won't cope quite as well if it gets gnarly.

If you're running large sections of road with only minimal gravel cycle path sections off road then you could get away with a knobbly commuter type tyre, something like the below should be reasonably fast:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec001749

Just remember to keep the pressure up at around 45 psi or so, long off road rides can be ruined by punctures and by all your energy getting sapped riding sluggish tyres. Yeah you'll get thrown about a little bit more and there will be slightly less grip when riding higher pressures but I'd take that over flats and getting knackered any day
Old 07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingon4 View Post
As for some examples if you're running 26" wheels:

If it's 'proper' mountain biking then try the following in 2.1" or 1.8" for a bit more speed:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec001789

I've been running Fires for 10 years, not too sluggish on road and decent across most trails off road. Pump them up to 45 psi to avoid punctures and keep them rolling fast. Not really any downsides to this tyre for all round mountain biking, I've raced on them and they don't wear too quickly unlike some brands!

If it's a mix of on road and nothing mega technical off road you'll be after something with a tread pattern like:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec037103

Although a smaller 2.1" or 1.9" carcass width would be better/faster, a lower profile tread and closer tread pattern should roll quicker than the Fires just won't cope quite as well if it gets gnarly.

If you're running large sections of road with only minimal gravel cycle path sections off road then you could get away with a knobbly commuter type tyre, something like the below should be reasonably fast:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec001749

Just remember to keep the pressure up at around 45 psi or so, long off road rides can be ruined by punctures and by all your energy getting sapped riding sluggish tyres. Yeah you'll get thrown about a little bit more and there will be slightly less grip when riding higher pressures but I'd take that over flats and getting knackered any day
I'll be riding on a hardtail (specalized) 26". Ive gone for the armadilloes. They have been givine some pretty good reports.

As for the pis, yer, its gonna be cranked up high. I can live with it being a bit bumpy, plus if it gets that bad i can just drop the psi a bit for the rough stuff then pump them back up
Old 07-09-2012

Nice one, they should be fast on tarmac and smooth dry trails, at least the suns been out this week for a change! Have a good one, should be great weather for the weekend too
Old 07-09-2012
Mad Member

Just had to google the route, looks like you'd be better off on 28mm slicks at about 80psi................

And rolling on, if you've been on Fire XCs for that long, its probably time to move onto something designed within the last 20 years. I used to use them for everything (except racing) until about 5 years ago.
Have moved onto Racing Ralph/Nobby Nic combos, they seem to be the modern equivalent. Comparing back to back, they do everything better.

And if you are running that sort of pressure, i'm not surprised you still think Fires cut it!
Old 07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Just had to google the route, looks like you'd be better off on 28mm slicks at about 80psi................

And rolling on, if you've been on Fire XCs for that long, its probably time to move onto something designed within the last 20 years. I used to use them for everything (except racing) until about 5 years ago.
Have moved onto Racing Ralph/Nobby Nic combos, they seem to be the modern equivalent. Comparing back to back, they do everything better.

And if you are running that sort of pressure, i'm not surprised you still think Fires cut it!
Sticking to what I know could be worse, could still be running Farmer Johns Nephews or 1.5" Conti XC's, Onza HO pedals and Amp research F3 forks have to try the Scwalbe's next time !

Cheers, Adam
Old 07-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingon4 View Post
Sticking to what I know could be worse, could still be running Farmer Johns Nephews or 1.5" Conti XC's, Onza HO pedals and Amp research F3 forks have to try the Scwalbe's next time !

Cheers, Adam
Not to forget the soft compound Ritchey WCS (Red?), the only XC tyre that you needed to swap half way thro a race........ (Conti XC 1.5", still have a couple of pairs, OnZa HO, only threw them away when i emigrated (they had been in a bag for 10 years), Amp forks, was never daft enough........ )